One of my characters is from a nomadic tribe. Should I just have them speak like everyone else or some form of broken common language?

• Normal
  • Broken
  • Something else
    Vote C
I thought it might be cute for her to learn the language as the story goes on
I was told that having a constructed language would disengage users. If that is the case I'm probably going to have her do English but with certain words omitted because she simply doesn't understand them.

920

Most Helpful Girls

• I like the idea from your first update.

Most Helpful Guys

• I think it makes more sense they're talking broken, but sometimes says something in their native language. It's both more realistic and makes the story more interesting. Friday in Robinson Crusoe also spoke broken English in the books.

Many immigrants and others who learns new languages pronunciat things wrongly and do many grammar mistakes.

E. g. "You speak good English?" instead of "Do you speak good English?" and "I like man like you" instead of "I likes men like you".

• Maybe have them speak like the others but have small parts here and there when he/ she speaks in their native language?

• Oh yeah, learning the language through the story would make things more foreshadowing because people won't know what the F**k she is on about till she learns it all!

*Laughing with tears, imagining everyone looking at the story upside down tryna decipher it then getting to the near end of the book to find out what she meant!*

• Cheers mate, hope all goes well :)