One of my characters is from a nomadic tribe. Should I just have them speak like everyone else or some form of broken common language?

• Normal
    Vote A
  • Broken
    Vote B
  • Something else
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I thought it might be cute for her to learn the language as the story goes on
I was told that having a constructed language would disengage users. If that is the case I'm probably going to have her do English but with certain words omitted because she simply doesn't understand them.

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I like the idea from your first update.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think it makes more sense they're talking broken, but sometimes says something in their native language. It's both more realistic and makes the story more interesting. Friday in Robinson Crusoe also spoke broken English in the books.

Many immigrants and others who learns new languages pronunciat things wrongly and do many grammar mistakes.

E. g. "You speak good English?" instead of "Do you speak good English?" and "I like man like you" instead of "I likes men like you".

0|1
    1|0
  • Maybe have them speak like the others but have small parts here and there when he/ she speaks in their native language?

0|1
    0|0
    • Oh yeah, learning the language through the story would make things more foreshadowing because people won't know what the F**k she is on about till she learns it all!

*Laughing with tears, imagining everyone looking at the story upside down tryna decipher it then getting to the near end of the book to find out what she meant!*

• Cheers mate, hope all goes well :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• Broken common language seems like more complex so I voted that one to make it challenging on yourself

0|1
    0|0
  • Learning language sounds good
    If you ever decide to turn your story into a youtube video/series, i voice act
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|2
    0|0
  • If they've lived with the main crowd long enough, have them speak like everyone else. If not, then they can speak their own language.

0|1
    0|0
  • With grammar errors sounds more plausible to me. I think nomadic people speak in simpler terms.

0|2
    0|0
  • Broken common language

0|2
    0|0
  • Broken is more realistic

0|1
    0|0
  • I wonder the end of the story

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 18

• A broken common language would be very interesting.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think broken is nice. You might even come up with some sort of accent and dialect which is common to those people when speaking the "common tongue". I think it really adds color and character. You gotta add some spice and colorfulness to the characters.

0|1
    0|0
  • It was only yesterday that I was reading certain passage on how from around 6500 languages, only 11 are being spoken by most of the people. And UNESCO predicted that 50% of these languages will get extinct after the end of this century. 95% of the world is speaking 5% of the total number of languages.

I'd say it is upto you to do whatever you want to do. You can keep your language from getting extinct by practicing it occasionally if you want to.

0|1
    0|0
  • Story-wise, it makes sense that they don't know the language from the getgo. I have one such character myself though I've never really thought about him not knowing the language. You reminded me of that so tnx man

0|1
    0|0
  • Have him speak with an Austrian accent, like this...

https://youtu.be/cKDUuptkIU8

0|1
    0|0
  • Hmmm from a story stand point it would be determined by how often her tribe interacts with outsiders. Either way though it would make sense for her to have a different dialect/accent at least

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on which language everyone else talk, and how much contact they had with the rest of the world.
    If they didn't have much contact, they most likely they wouldn't speak any, or only a few, of the other language.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends what the back story is. Even nomadic tribes need a few people who can speak other languages.

0|1
    0|0
  • Do a fusion of Danny divito and Yoda because it enthuses my immaturity. That and it is a dream of mine to hear Yoda speak with a Brooklyn accent.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think of ''Yoda'' right now. A little grammar oddity, perhaps?

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes