Why are elves rarely portrayed as black?

Usually elves are portrayed as either white, other European, Asian or Middle-eastern in movies, TV-series, games and in other art. I'm curious if it's written a place which human phenotype ("race") an elf are supposed to resemble mostly. E. g. the authors saying: "Elves are tall and have fair hair, eyes and skin" or something like that: "Elves have narrow noses, slim faces and big eyes".

I've noticed a lot of racial diversity among elves, but rarely seen any black elves. I'm just curious. No, I'm not accusing anyone for being racist. I'm just asking if there are any traditional or cultural reasons for it; if there's a meaning behind it or if it symbolizes something special. Same reason I'm curious on why witches are either portrayed as old, ugly and green hags wearing pointy black hats and having a big nose and why more human looking witches are portrayed as either redhead or blackhead. #Elf #Elves #Race #Black
Nordic elves
Nordic elves
Middle-eastern elf
Middle-eastern elf
It's not only white elves I've seen. But also East-Asian (Chinese/Korean/Japanese looking), Arabs, Persians, Spaniard, other Europeans etc. It's rarely black though like West-, South- and Central-Africa and Australian aborigines. Beautiful people exists everywhere on earth. Did whites in the past see fewer blacks than other none-whites?
READ THE UPDATE/DESCRIPTION

1953

Most Helpful Girls

• I'd say it's mostly because elves are mythological creatures that originate from Germanic mythology and Norse mythology.

"Elf, plural Elves, in Germanic folklore, originally, a spirit of any kind, later specialized into a diminutive creature, usually in tiny human form. In the Prose, or Younger, Edda, elves were classified as light elves (who were fair) and dark elves (who were darker than pitch); these classifications are roughly equivalent to the Scottish seelie court and unseelie court. The notable characteristics of elves were mischief and volatility. They were believed at various times and in various regions to cause diseases in humans and cattle, to sit upon the breast of a sleeper and give him bad dreams (the German word for nightmare is Alpdrücken, or “elf-pressure”), and to steal human children and substitute changelings (deformed or weak elf or fairy children" Source (https://www. britannica. com/topic/elf-mythology)

• I saw you mention the light elves from Alfhiem i dont know the german folklore however the Norse (from Norway) had two types the light elves and the dark elves it be intresting to compare informtion as i wonder did the germans belive in Ymir? Or is that a Norwegian myth?

• Yes this is the mythos for the Origin of elves
    In old celtic norse the elves are from Elfhiem were two speices of elves exist one being feminine dessed in white they were tall faired haired and skined they were the "light elfves" they were cridited for the concept of spirit guides, garden Angeles to the nordic people at the time were the other was dark elfves they were masucline and of Chaos and miss deeds.
    Another comes from Irland ad like the light elfves were faired skinned and fair haired they were tall had beautiful features men and woman and the phrase "graceful" is used a lot however they were fickle meaning they would help you then turn on you their motives were "unknownable" or "unpredictable" they were caled the she folk. Iron is used as a ward however If you like i could share stories about both Elfhiem and the She folk your intreasted :).

Most Helpful Guys

• If you think about it this is actually quite simple, elves are originating from middle age European folklore and Norse mythology. The predominant skin colour (or simply set the only skin colour) known to these people was white back then, so the mythical beings known as elves also have been portrait white.
    Portraying elves as black could therefor be seen als cultural appropriation.

• It's not only white elves I've seen. But also East-Asian (Chinese/Korean/Japanese looking), Arabs, Persians, Spaniard, other Europeans etc. It's rarely black though like West-, South- and Central-Africa and Australian aborigines.

• This is probably the case because of the established trade routes. In the middle ages there where almost no established trade routes to Africa, most trade routes where going over land and there for it was easier for the mythology to travel.
      You have to take into consideration that one of the goods a traveling merchant was bringing with him where also stories from far away countries so the stories and images of elves could easy have made there way into the Arabian/Persian area, even as far as China or even Japan, more easily then via the Via Maris or the King's Highway (ancient trad routes into Egypt).
      And other historical texts and sources shows, that humans easily take on and adapt some foreign concepts and customs into there own culture.

• They are not real but are invented characters. Santa is a mythical person that was invented white. That is the legacy of the character. Other colors or races may stroke individuals but Santa was invented and Santa was white. Elves were not typical of the cultural invented as any other white of close white character. Making Mickey Mouse white would not be Mickey. He was invented as a mouse that are shades of grey and black. He has no human racial traits in its' original form.
    If the black race has a successful black character it should remain black. It was invented as black. Also commercially these things are used as in the way it will be the most commercially successful.

• The original Santa Claus wasn't supposed to look white. Santa Claus is inspired of the Greek-Turkish Catholic saint Nicholas. Why Santa Claus has a white beard is because of his age. Old people have white hair and beard regardless of "race". Santa Claus are also portrayed as a man with a narrow nose because not every none-whites have a broad nose. Many dark Greek and Turkish people have typically slim European facial features. Santa Claus usually have black eyes. Him having blue or green eyes is a newer thing.

St. Nick:

• Santa was created out off the concept off the Holly king ( god from pangan England) his colours were originally green and brown it was in fact coke-a-cola that change it to rd and white to suite the Company. However funny you should speak of not changing things AS Santa or saint Nick was change as i said above from pagan God to a Saint and from his colours green and brown too red and white. His elves were also created to be his helpers however Krampus also had elves that helpped him they were not seen as human or Even looking human they in fact were seen as more "lord of the Rings" goblin type that wore earth colours or Even seen as what today would call demionic.