Why are most Thespians and Broadway actors and fans of theatre stereotyped as Gay or Campy?

Is that just a stereotype? Same can be said for Barbara Streisand and Liza Minelli fans
Ok, maybe I asked this in an insensitive rude way unmeaningly to come across as such. What I meant to ask it is why do people assume that fans or actors of theater or Broadway are like that and assume heterosexuals can't be fans or actors of either?

412

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh I'd say a broad number of Thespians/theatre folk are gay. Both men and women. However I'd say generally it's like 50/50. Some are very campy and sunshine rainbow overdramatic. Others not so much. It's a mixed bag of everything honestly. That's what I've gathered from being in theatre so long. So there is some small truth but it's still a generalization that doesn't apply fully at the end of the day.

Most Helpful Guys

• Why fo people think most male thespians are gay? Because they are very over-represented in this occupation.

I don't think most people will think you are gay for going to broadway shows. However, if you're hanging out the back of the theatre screaming like a little girl and waving your autograph book in their faces the thats pretty gay.

• do you think it's over-representation rather than truth

• Uhm probably because a disproportionate are. more so than the avg. population. Think of it kind of like the WNBA vs. The NBA the WNBA is theater ( ironic lol) and it's been estimated that well over 50% of the league is gay (98% if you believe Candice Wiggins lol) While the NBA which represents the general population is a very small percentage.