Why are most Thespians and Broadway actors and fans of theatre stereotyped as Gay or Campy?

Is that just a stereotype? Same can be said for Barbara Streisand and Liza Minelli fans
Updates:
Ok, maybe I asked this in an insensitive rude way unmeaningly to come across as such. What I meant to ask it is why do people assume that fans or actors of theater or Broadway are like that and assume heterosexuals can't be fans or actors of either?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh I'd say a broad number of Thespians/theatre folk are gay. Both men and women. However I'd say generally it's like 50/50. Some are very campy and sunshine rainbow overdramatic. Others not so much. It's a mixed bag of everything honestly. That's what I've gathered from being in theatre so long. So there is some small truth but it's still a generalization that doesn't apply fully at the end of the day.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Why fo people think most male thespians are gay? Because they are very over-represented in this occupation.

I don't think most people will think you are gay for going to broadway shows. However, if you're hanging out the back of the theatre screaming like a little girl and waving your autograph book in their faces the thats pretty gay.

0|1
    0|0
    • do you think it's over-representation rather than truth

• Uhm probably because a disproportionate are. more so than the avg. population. Think of it kind of like the WNBA vs. The NBA the WNBA is theater ( ironic lol) and it's been estimated that well over 50% of the league is gay (98% if you believe Candice Wiggins lol) While the NBA which represents the general population is a very small percentage.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Gays have a long history of working in the theatre historically. Historically female actresses also worked as high class prostitutes. I think it's the same with ballet and opera.

0|2
    0|0
  • I've never actually heard of this other than in dumb tv shows. I know plenty of straight people who go see plays and stuff.

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot are not like that.

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• Well there is some element of truth there. A good portion of stage actors and fans are indeed gay; however, this only really means that men who enjoy theater are more likely to be gay compared to other media, not so much that every gay person enjoys theater or that every person who enjoys theater is gay.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it is mostly a stereotype perpetuated in tv shows but I think it a stereotype that probably has a little foundation in reality I do think there is a particular type of gay person for whom being into that sort of thing is part of the lifestyle

0|1
    0|0
  • I’ve never quite understood that stereotype. I’m a musical theatre kid myself and consider myself to be experienced. A lot of the golden age musical (ranging from around 1945-1960) had some reference to gay guys. It was the time period that brought forth the stereotype into modern age which I never quite understood.

0|1
    0|0
  • People into acting are gay or gay acting. It's so true pick your favorite big action star guy and he might be very manly and tough on screen but I guarantee he's a big crying pussy in real life.

Very few exceptions but occasionly there will be 1 or 2. And the women are just as badd but a little different they're all just crazy for example Angelina Jolie used to wear blood on her neck what the freak. And let's not forget about the sex calt they just took down with numerous actresses involved.

0|0
    0|0
  • I honestly don’t know. Like many are gay but... maybe its because straight men tend to want to seduce the actresses they play with?

0|1
    0|0
  • Like most stereotypes it exists for a reason. However the map is not the territory. Did you know Benedict Cumberbatch is apparently straight?

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they're over represented in the theatre, and as such become massive gay icons.

Simples..

0|1
    0|0
  • Your going to tell me your not a Yentil fan. I think I find that hard to beleave. Any way Barbra's HOT and she can belt out some toons.

0|0
    0|0
    • No I have nothing against her and she's talented.

• Stereotypes exist for a reason.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they tend to be gay and campy

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes