What's a book you read as a child that the movie adaptation was terrible?

Someone in one question said Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I did see the first one and I do agree it was pretty shitty.
Updates:
Another disappointment was Thomas and the Magic Railway. You basically had Alec Baldwin as a good guy and Peter Fonda as a grandfather type which are roles that they aren't good at. And Mara Wilson who at the time was in her teens and did not fit her role well.

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• "Where the Wild Things Are"

The movie was horrible and it missed the whole point of the book. With the book, you get this kid who "acts out" and is punished by being sent to bed without his dinner. He sulks feeling that he's not loved and whatever and has this huge fantasy. When he leaves the fantasy, he finds that his dinner is waiting for him outside his door. Even as a five year old, that story struck me as being very authentic with regards to parent-child interactions as they pertain to discipline and punishment.

With the movie, the boy acts out, runs away and disappears into this fantasy world. When he comes back, his mother basically apologizes for getting mad at him and feeds him dinner. What?

1|1
    1|0
  • Thomas and the Magic Railroad was the first movie I saw in theaters. It’s true. Alec Baldwin is a fruitcake! But Peter Fonda and Mara Wilson did a great job. But I like Mara Wilson as little Matilda with those powers she had. Alec Baldwin did the Capital One Venture Card commercials. Here’s my favorite.

https://youtu.be/-rVE7haSLmE
    After he said “I’ve played a pilot before”, I said, “He’s played a conductor before.” Lol.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Percy Jackson.. we don’t talk about those movies >->

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Eragon

0|1
    0|0
  • A Wrinkle in Time. Horrifically bad. Eliminated the religious basis of the story, which made the movie perplexing and somewhat incoherent. Huge, huge, huge disappointment, especially with such a talented cast.

0|1
    0|0
  • Animal Farm. Both versions are bad in very different ways, neither got the point if the book and went real weird directions

0|1
    0|0
  • Scooby Doo movies, Power Rangers, and although i wasn't a child when the first 2 Harry Potter movies came out, those! U?

0|1
    0|0
  • Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events. I don't really have words for how badly the film f'ed up

0|1
    0|0
  • The lion the witch and the wardrobe.

Also harry potter.

0|1
    0|0
  • Percy Jackson, in my opinion. There's a reason only 1 sequel was made.

1|1
    0|0
  • Where the Wild Things are. Though to be fair, I hated the book too.

0|1
    1|0
  • I didn’t like lord of the rings movies mostly. I loved the books.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maximum Ride

0|1
    0|0
  • A Wrinkle In Time

2|1
    0|0
  • A wrinkle in time. That just, was totally stupid.

1|1
    0|0
  • A Wrinkle In Time, Percy Jackson

1|1
    0|0
  • Percy jackson

2|1
    0|0
  • The golden compass. Even the game was way better

1|1
    0|0
  • A wrinkle in time

1|1
    0|0
  • Percy Jackson

1|1
    0|0
  • Eragon, I love the book. the movie was just awful.

0|2
    0|0
  • Never remembered of any book

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes