Do you like Jimi Hendrix?

Do you like Jimi Hendrix?
  • Yes! I love him!
  • He's okay.
  • Not a fan.
    Vote C
  • I don't know him.
    Vote D

11

11
  • I think he is great. That being said, I do believe many overhype him and make him out better than he is. I think he is great and all— he was particularly fantastic at writing guitar parts that combined the chords with the melodic components. In other words, he was able to create a good rhythm/lead guitar blend. I consider that— his songwriting, as something to praise him for as compared to singing or his guitar chops.

He had some interesting and unique ideas, especially at the time, such as his use of panning and effects. If you take in his innovation for the time into account, he goes from great to legend. Otherwise, he’s great or good, but not brilliant.

Skill wise, I think he was good. I don’t think he was like “holy crap, this guy is absolutely insane,” but he was solid. I would rate Stevie Ray Vaughan as a better guitarist in the same sort of field. He probably wouldn’t be on my personal “greatest guitar player of all time list”

I would rate him as 7 or 8/10 overall. Good music, solid playing, pioneer of music, albeit in my opinion overhyped as a guitar god.

• Jimmy Hendrix was once asked, "How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world?"

... he answered, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy"