Growing Up In A Nudist Household

matchrestore
Growing Up In A Nudist Household

It's apparent there are some misconceptions about nudism and what all it entails, especially when it comes to families. I was raised in a nudist household. My parents were almost always nude at home, as were my siblings. We had other families of nudists over to our home. Its hard for someone who hasn't experienced what that is like to understand, so here are some answers to questions that frequently come my way:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Were you always naked?

No. We wore clothes outside of the house except when at nude friendly locations- nude resorts, the family farm well off the beaten path, and the odd trip to nude beaches. Nudists are not nude 24/7. We still have to function in society, and that means donning clothes to go to school, to the store, etc. We also wore clothes when most of our friends came over, unless our friend's parents were nudists as well or it had been established that nudity was accepted. Of course that rule was bent by us from time to time.

Did you want to be naked everywhere?

No. There are areas where I am comfortable nude, and areas where I wouldn't dream of going nude. Nude beaches and nude resorts are safe places to be nude. I wouldn't want to be nude in places where its not accepted- that's just asking for trouble.

Was nudity required?

No. In fact, for a brief period while I was going through puberty, I resented nudism and wore clothes all the time at home. I quickly discovered I actually preferred to be nude though. My sister went through a similar phase, but is still a nudist to this day. My brother discovered he preferred clothes and is no longer a nudist, although he still is nude around our family from time to time.

How has it affected you?

It's impossible to know for sure, but I think it worked out for the best. I have a healthy body image and am very comfortable in my own skin. While I'm by far not a jock, I had no issues showering after gym class or swimming. I am still a nudist to this day, so I guess you could say that's one of the effects of being raised nudist.

Did you see your mom/sister nude?

Yes. We are nudists. I don't understand why people insist on asking this question. And no, it wasn't a big deal.

Will you raise your family the same way?

My wife and I have discussed this at length. We haven't started a family yet, but we probably will raise our family nudist. We're too far away from any nudist resorts for that to be a regular part of their upbringing, but at home we feel that there are more pros than cons.

Did your parents take photos?

Of course they did- and I'd venture a guess that most of the people reading this had a photo taken of them in the bathtub by their parents. What parent doesn't want to document their family as it grows up? If you looked through our photo albums I think you'd find them very innocent and endearing, and you'd notice how happy we were without clothing.

Did you go to a nude summer camp?

No I didn't. I was more into Boy Scouts. I went to a Boy Scout camp every summer, fully clothed, and earned the rank of Eagle Scout. The love of nature that came from Scouting stays with me to this day, and I still spend weeks hiking in the wilderness every year.

Did classmates in school know about it?

In elementary school I was pretty open about it, but by middle and high school I didn't volunteer that information. Some knew of course, but I didn't advertise it. I was teased about it a few times, but nothing too major. Ironically, I was teased about the clothes I wore more often.

Weren't you distracted by all the nude girls?

I actually found clothed girls more distracting, especially clothing that was meant to accentuate or draw attention to secondary sex characteristics. Bikinis are far more titillating than non-sexual nudity. Nudist girls were also easier to get along with for me. It seemed that they felt more free to be themselves.

Weren't you disgusted by all the nude boys?

Nope. Its just skin, why should I be disgusted by it? I can't understand why some men are so afraid of seeing another man nude.

Didn't you ever want privacy?

Yes, of course I did. And just like anyone else, I still spent time in private. I still had a door to close on my bedroom.

You turned out fine, but is that normal?

There have been many studies on the subject, and they all conclude either neutral or positive results from being raised nudist. A five year study concluded the following:

The viewing of the unclothed human body, far from being destructive to the psyche, seems to be either benign or to actually provide benefits.

Boys and girls are much more prepared for what will come during puberty, they have more realistic body-images later in life, and were more sex-positive. Non-nudist kids often identify their genitals as their least favorite body part, nudist children often couldn't think of part of their body they didn't like.

#nudism #bodypositive

Growing Up In A Nudist Household
15
26
15Girl Opinion
26Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• SomeGuy37
    REALLY great description, and 'explanation'. I kind of knew most of that, but it is nice to actually read it from someone living it.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • I get so many questions about it, so I knew people were curious about it at the very least.

• SomeGuy37

I think a lot are turned on by the idea of it, but don't want to live it. There is something a little arousing, to most, about being naked, and being seen.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    This is absolutely spot on. As a fellow naturist, this is a take that says it all, as it really is, warts an' all!
    Like 8 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Great post, right? :)

• Anonymous

@Thebestyoucan Yes. I think so.

• It's difficult sometimes to convey what it's all about, but this post does it fairly concisely. Cheers to all my fellow nudists and naturists! =D

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1425
  • JessPHX
    Nicely written.

I always very open about it with friend and still am.

In high school I would take friends on family camping trips and most would end up joining us in the buff after just a few hours... its just so natural once you are exposed to it. Yes, both boys and girls.

I wish more people had experiences like mine with nudity.
    Like 3 People
    • I had a small co-ed group of friends that knew and would participate, but I had to trust someone before I volunteered that information

• I was too growing up my friends loved it... my kids and their friends enjoy it too...

• sovetskii13
    Great info. If nudists are so used to seeing each other naked thus not taking it as anything 'sexual', was it tough to get erections during sexual activity?
    Like 1 Person
    • Good question- that hasn't been an issue- while nudity by itself doesn't lead to arousal, sexual contact, suggestive language, and sexual behavior all quickly lead to arousal.

• Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    Those are pussy shit questions. Lets get to the real meat

1- did you ever get boners around family?
    2 did you ever get boners around people in general?
    3- have you ever touched a family member nude? Like hugs and shit?
    4- would you hug a naked dude?
    5- I forgot 😑
    Disagree 2 People
    • Unwanted erections while nude never really happened. We did hug while nude as little kids, but a lot less as we got older. And I would have no problem hugging another man.

• Singlebimom
    I was raised similar to you with siblings snd parents and i am raising my kids same way... clothing optional... its a choice.. thanks gor the great post good job!!
    Like 6 People
  • t0land123
    I've bin a nudist for the last 24 years, taking every chance i get to drop my clothing on the floor, however, that being said, i am the only one in my family, and since my children were not raised around it, not really sure how to explain, or introduce them to the idea of a nude life. I wasn't even raised a nudist, one day i just got tired of the same old routine, get up get dressed, run your daily routine, get home change for bed just to do it all over again... so Saturday came, i got up, dropped the pj's on the floor. And lived my Saturday...

13 years ago i met my current wife, unfortunatly she is very body non-confident... not really sure what to do about that.. And then we moved, unfortunatly to an area where its harder to have njde time, other than in my privatised back yard, or in my own home, as the closest venue is either a 4 hr drive to the north, or a full day drive to the west.

Id love to try and get a group started in my area , but not really sure of where to begin, or how to go about finding if there are other nudists in my area..
    Like 2 People
  • Rissyanne
    I am just curious. Do men walk around with erections?
    Like 2 People
    • Unwanted erections aren't very common. Nudity is normalized, so arousal doesn't happen just because you're nude and/or other people around you are nude. If someone gets an erection they'll usually take steps to hide it- lay on their stomach, cover up with a blanket or towel, go in the water, etc.

• Rissyanne

I was just curious.

• True reply from him

• Oddmatt
    So what happens when someone hugs someone else.. say son hugs mom, and he gets excited from his mom's boobs touching him, what do you do when your son's trying to hug you with an erection? Does your son ask what's in-between your legs. Is there anything sexually happening? Do you let them be sexually curious
    Like 1 Person
    • It's a very much non-sexual thing. Nudity is normalized so nudity alone, especially within the family, doesn't cause arousal. Nothing sexual happens.

• Gedaria
    Thanks , I like this. When I was growing up , we never got stressed about nudity. It just became normal to me and my daughters are very much the same. We us to go to nudist sites for holidays when they were little. And they normally go there now , they have grown up.
    Like 2 People
  • loveshorro
    I loved reading this me and my dad are nudists my mom doesn't like it though
    Like 7 People
    • How often are you naked?

• Nature1

we are generally only at the beach

• chase3268

My girlfriend hates that I have 4 skin

• natmike
    It's nice to see a natural family growing together without bodyshame, we raised our 2 daughters seeing us naked at home, on beaches and camps and they had much more body confidence growing up which is prob more important for girls. There were no sexual issues just plain simple nakedness in appropriate places. I would not describe them as nudists now, they have both got growing families, jobs and other interests but they are not bothered by seeing mum and dad naked at home.
    Like 2 People
  • Bethann40
    I eas raised in nudist home with brothers and sisters... i raise my family now that way
    Like 5 People
  • lazermazer
    So what did your mom and sister said when they saw your arousal?
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    • That didn't really happen. Nudity was normalized, so it didn't lead to arousal. I also think bing nude all the time you're a little better at controlling unwanted arousal.

• lazermazer

Really? Line never ever

• If it happened, it wasn't anything traumatic or important enough for me to remember it.

• Danomatic
    We weren't nudist but when I was in grade school my brother and friends and I would swim naked and my mom would sunbathe naked. We never thought anything about it. My girlfriend and I prefer nude sunbathing and swimming now. But wear clothes most the rest of the time.
    Like 1 Person
  • Warmapplecrumble
    Great post! Really enjoyed reading it ♥
    Like 6 People
    • I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

• I'm thinking of raising my future family as nudists.

• That's great!

If you want to know more details feel free to PM me. I've got some insight at least.

• Wonderer89
    Really informative and well written 😊 Thanks
    Like 6 People
  • hospitable_pepperoni
    That was interesting and really well written
    Like 6 People
    • Thank you! Glad you found it informative.

• Yes it was best i havevread were clothing optional family

• CheerGirl38139
    Nicely done. 👍
    Like 6 People
  • josephinelcajon
    My experience was similar and I never had a bad experience
    Like 2 People
  • billluc69
    wow, well writen, you answered the things i have a hard time talking about. people dont understand, its not about sex, we just didn't were cloths all the time.
    Like 2 People
  • jacquesvol
    My dad, two brothers and me all walked around naked naturally.
    Mom always covered up. I never saw her naked.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
  • KINGNIGGA123
    i actually love this idea. i might even do it when i start a family.
    Like 2 People
  • Scarecrow13
    Very nicely said. It is amazing how many misconception persist about nudism.
    Like 2 People
  • AlwaysBelieving
    Good things to know. That's cool that you've discussed this with your wife.
    Like 2 People
  • ChrisMaster69
    Good post and some very good and relevant points - quite rare on GaG lol.
  • adamski24
    It's all most the same for us really maybe a few different things but the same.
    Like 2 People
  • Max100AD
    I am enjoying nude in my apartment right now. I save some money on washing clothes. I hate wearing clothes. I wish can I go outside without clothes.
    Like 1 Person
  • Drewman2
    I may be obtaining a room in a clothes free house. Having never spent time as a nudist before, I was wondering if you had any advice?
    Like 1 Person
    • barbirolli

Since you are even considering this, I would suggest that you are at least sympathetic to the idea. I would suggest going ahead, if you like the housemates, and giving it a go. There are lots of advantages. Generally you will get closer friends because the lifestyle shows you as being open and honest with your housemates. They will, in all probability, accept you as you are much more readily than in a clothed household, where you may be judged as you appear. Just do not forget your towel to sit on in the common rooms, and if you are invited in to someone else's.

• Ladyslipper
    Groovy
    Like 6 People
  • brittany15
    really liked this post it's amazingly interesting
    Like 5 People
    • what do you thing is a good age to become a nudist is there a age that's to young?

• I don't think there's an age that's too young, other than being potty trained of course.

• Oddmatt

Do you want to be a nudist at home? Are you comfortable being in the nude in front of your family? Are you comfortable seeing your family naked? What if your brother tries to hug you with an erection?

• modeve
    Very informative and inspiring.
    Like 3 People
  • BobbyC65
    Love it.
    Like 2 People
  • Cricket74
    Thank you. Insightful.
    Like 1 Person
  • lovelyhoneybones
    What the fuck...
    LikeDisagree 9 People
  • Interesting...
    Like 2 People
  • NightOwl8801
    Cool, informative and well written
    Like 2 People
  • ivanhunterjo
    Very informative and interesting. Thanks
    Like 2 People
  • lonely12
    Almost same as mine.
    Like 1 Person
  • SuccessfulHornDog
    I like naked women
    • With nudism you everyone is nude- regardless of gender

• barbirolli

I like naked women too. Very much so. Just get your head around the fact that a naked woman is not, as such, offering you a sexual encounter! It is really easy.

• Lumberman53
    Bizarre
    Disagree 1 Person