Do guys who leave their pregnant girlfriends go back when the child is born?

I was in a relationship with a 37 year old male who had a previous relationship ending in divorce due to his ex cheating on him and moving in with the other man 3 years ago. He's currently paying child support for 3 of his children. He has a close relationship with his daughters and his own mother. I thought all these characteristics made him a man of good character. Many times he told me he wanted to begin having children of our own. We had our disagreements but always found a way to resolve them. We both were using protection, but somehow contraception failed and I told him I was pregnant his response was to leave me and refuses to have any kind of contact w/me. I'm not sure if he's just in shock and needs time to come to terms. Even if he wants nothing to do with me, I still want him to be there for his child. Will he perhaps have change of heart once the child is born?
1
2