What is it like to have a step parent?

I didn't have a mother but I may get a stepmom soon, so I'd like to know from those who have (or had) a step parent how is (or was) your relationship with them. After spending some time with her I'm really excited about it. What should I expect from having a (step) mother for the first time?

Most Helpful Guy

• known my stepdad since I was 2. he's never treated me any different than his own so just treat him how you wish to be treated

• My dad raised first met my mom when my brother was 2. He raised him then he had me 12 years later. He treats us equally.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's different for everyone. My step mom is amazing. I'm seriously so blessed. She always thinks of me and sends me cards when I'm away at school. My relationship with her is something like a cross between a mother and a cool aunt. She's so much fun and I can talk to her for hours about anything.

My mom's step mom, on the other hand, basically pretends that my mom and her siblings don't exist. Like my grandpa didn't have a life before her. It's really sad.

I hope you get a relationship like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8

• That's sounds really great, very happy for you. I don't know how to act around her because I never had anything like a mother, that's why I'm really anxious about it.

• Of course! Good luck! If you feel like updating this question in a few weeks I'd love to hear how it's going!

• Well, it's not so soon. She's moving in with us until the end of the year, but who knows how long will it be until they get engaged and consequently married.

What Guys Said 6

• i didn't have one until i was in my mid 30s. my mom loves him. i thought he was an ok guy. unfortunately he's developing alzheimer's and it's taking a toll on my mom. i don't have "love" for him so to speak. I hate knowing how much pain my mom is going through basically waiting for him to get worse and die.

• Dont know but knew someone who had a step-mum and they hated her but it is probably based of the step parent your relationship with them

• Shopping probably

• just depends how they treat you like my stepdad loves me

• I don't have a step parent but it seems most hate theirs

• I have no experience about it

What Girls Said 4

• I have a step mom almost 10 years, and even though at first I treated her very badly she didn't give up on me and today we are so close and have such a good relationship that even after leaving the house for college, we talk almost everyday and she is the best thing that ever happen to me. (BTW she have 3 children from her first marriage, and she doesn't treat me any different from them)
    most people take the wrong idea of step mom/dad because all the children story that we used to hear as we were children like Cinderella... but reality is different , at least with me. Im blessed. so don't be afraid of this new experience... 😉

• HELL ON EARTH

• From my experience only

• Well I mean after my dad died, my step dad stepped in and became a parent and it was great until he cheated on my mom and they broke up.

• Like having a live in uncle