Does anyone else despise their SO’s mom?

I literally hate my boyfriend’s mom. She gets in the way of everything. We will make plans ahead of time and last second something will come up. Like, she wants to take him out that day or she doesn’t feel like driving him or picking him up anymore so our plans are canceled because of her. I can’t even spend my boyfriend’s real birthday with him anymore because of her! We had planned like a month in advance, we talked about what we were going to do and then last second his mom is like “I’m taking him out to dinner on his birthday. So you guys can hang out the next day” I’m so upset. We just started dating four months ago, my birthday is a few days earlier than his, and he spent my real birthday with me. Now I can’t spend his with him, these are our first birthdays together and she’s preventing us from hanging out. She’s so annoying. I get she’s his mom and all but she needs to give him space and let him do things. I try and be nice to her but she’s stone cold. She sees him everyday! I see him at least once or twice a week if I’m lucky. It’s stupid. I hate her so much. Does anyone else feel this way?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I can feel your frustration; your boyfriend should know how you feel (if he doesn't already) and either talk to his Mum or meet you both halfway. My girlfriend's Mum is nice to me directly but I strongly feel like she uses me indirectly, she expects me to go out of my way for her way too often, she treats my girl the worst of all her kids, and she's even kicking my girl out the house when her first grandson is born in a couple of months. So I wouldn't say I hate her, but I know how it feels to have an SO with a questionable parent who you don't always want to be around.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nice rant, but I knew exactly how you felt, like sometimes you just want to spend sometime alone and that, but the mother just gets in the way because they are jealous or something

1|0
    0|0
    • Haha thank you thank you. But exactly! And I feel like his mom, since she’s been through a divorce and she can’t always see her boyfriend either, she goes to her son for moral support because he’s a guy and he’s taller than her and you know, she loves him so. She wants to spend a lot of time with him as if they were dating, you know what I mean? A mom who doesn’t really have a man so she goes to her son instead.

• It's a bit weird and she does this because she is jealous of how good your relationship is compaired to her own, so she kind of lashes out in this way

Most Helpful Girl

• I had one boyfriend's mom, on the day i met her, she told me i looked like the hooker down the street 😅. She lived in a really junky trailer park, so i believed there was an actual hooker living there somewhere. looking back on it i think its funny, I've been told i have an innocence about me, and am very quiet and shy. So i was very shocked by her statement, i just looked at him and was like "okay its time to go" she was a freakin meth head with a brood of kids from different bby daddies, sooo screw her lol.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• You've only been dating 4 months? Then I'm sorry, but you don't take priority yet. If he made plans and can't stand up to him mom then that's his own issue that he needs to sort out. But untill you've been together for a significant amount of time or get engaged, then right now, your just the girlfriend.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you boyfriend needs to have a sit down serious talk with his mother that those times are over and your the main woman in his life that you come first if he cannot do this than he is still mommy's little boy so run! If he can then she should respect that. It is all up to your boyfriend.

2|2
    0|0
  • My girlfriends mom said I would never go to college and wouldn't let my girl stay past 8PM at my place.. it's hard for parents to let go of their kids but there's a difference between struggling to let go and being an asshole. I feel you

2|1
    0|0
  • That should only be a problem in highschool.
    Assuming you both are;
    If his mom makes plans for him still, then he will be like that for a long time. Talk to him and tell him how it's bothering you. If he won't stop or work on it, then this is a problem you'll have to deal with, or you'll probably need to find someone new.

0|0
    0|0
  • My S. O.'s moms have always been great to me. In fact, I even spoke with one of my ex's moms after we'd broken up. lol

1|0
    1|0
  • The "mother-in-law" has been the bane of many's existence and the butt of decades (if not centuries) of many, many, MANY jokes. You are not experiencing a unique situation...

0|0
    0|0
  • She's competing with you for his attention. That's not cool. He needs his space.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes. My ex girlfriends mom is a typical 50 year old rich women. She’s literally the apex of what every young women and girl aspires to be. Just a step down from the Kardashian’s. She lives in a huge house with a pool, barely works (headbands owns his own business), super wealthy, takes vacations multiples times a year, tell other people what to do by controlling them, always has a drink in her hand day or night, claims she’s always right.

This is why I have this
    🚹 > 🚺 as my pfp. She’s an entitled, old, brat. And is literally the embodiment of everything I dispise is women.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not me. My SO's mother loves me and sticks up for me when my girl is pissed. I think she has a little infatuation, but its cool.

0|0
    1|0
  • lol just wait tell you get a physcho mother in law.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to but now it has sexy undertones makes me think she's into me

0|0
    0|0
  • She hates you too.

5|0
    3|0
  • Thats still her baby

0|0
    2|1
  • My SO despises my mom and she's 100% right.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 16

• No, there is no reason for me...

1|1
    0|0
  • She's not stopping you two from anything, he is!!! How old is he? Why does he need Mommy to drive him around? Why can't he choose what he wants to do on his birthday!!! Now if he's under 18 has to what Mommy says, but he should be able to speak up for himself and you to his Mommy!!! Do you really want to be with someone who still has their umbilical cord attached? He's the only one that can detach that!!!

0|1
    0|0
  • I hated one of my boyfriend's mother~ she never gave us privacy (which is a BIG thing for me) and would drink a lot and get angry with him a lot and shout. She was very bossy and demanding and not a nice person to be around.
    I love my current boyfriend's mum though, she is so so sweet, and I would love her to be my mother-in-law one day <3

0|0
    0|0
  • I absolutely adore his mother but he would be ecstatic if he never saw my mother again, the two of them can't stand each other

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe don’t tell her your plans anymore and don’t rely on her lifts anymore, she will soon stop once you guys plan things without needing her help. And for his bday just celebrate a day before or after that way you’ll both be happy. Give it a try. 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't relate. I like my boyfriend's mom. She's always been very welcoming and kind to me. Of course, my boyfriend doesn't live with her, we live in a different state so we only see her maybe once a year.

Your situation sounds frustrating but I think you should just try to take a deep breath and do what you can to get along with her. I'm not sure how old your boyfriend is but he won't live with her forever. Eventually he will have more freedom as he gets older, moves out, and can make more of his own decisions. I know some parents can be overbearing but she's still his mother so you just have to try to not let it get to you too much.

0|1
    0|0
  • Omg now this is my kinda post! He can't stand that my mom sometimes puts men before us and that she rather spend my money than her own.

Well, i can't stand his mom. She is rude af. When he and i first met, he said he couldnt stand her and avoids being around her. She barely even pays him attention. But whenever a girl comes into the picture, she's all clingy with him then. She doesn't care when we’re on the phone. She’ll tackle him in bed and throw his phone. One time that hoe even goes “Oh you must be talking to ___? oops did i say the wrong name?” Like she wants me to think he's cheating so i’ll leave.

First time i met her in person, she didn't speak when i spoke. He left me at the dinner table with her while he went to pay the bill and she still gave me the silent treatment when i tried to talk to her.

there's other stuff she does, i just can't think rn

1|0
    0|0
    • Look at all these Mama’s boys below hating on you for expressing yourself

• my boyfriend mom is always telling him that she met this sweet girl at the market today that your age ,

0|0
    0|0
  • I despised my exes mother, she was awful she had to try to control us and him, it got even worse when my son was born. She was an idiot who when I was quitting smoking during pregnancy would give him ciggerets and just all around a bad person, they didn't pay for my exes school payments, we when t to private school, and my dad had to pay for him to be able to go back to school and graduate she didn't value education at all. It got so bad that tho in not proud of it I told him I was leaving if she stayed in our lives and so he stopped talking to her, i felt sort of bad because she was his mom but I didn't care I was happy she was out if our lives. But now I habe my husband who loves his mom but is in no way a mommas boy, and I love his mom too she is amazing. Just fyi to all girls never date a man too close to his mother, mommas boys are the worst.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel you.. I've been in a similar situation and it's so frustrating. have you talked to him about this though? In my situation I told my so it was making me uncomfortable and that made him realise that he should stand up for himself and our relationship a bit more instead of letting his mom decide everything for him. it's a work in progress but eventually his mom will have to learn that she has to let him go at some point. Also reading you are trying to be nice, that's great, try to be strong and keep that up, even if she's cold or even mean. You don't have to let her walk all over you but never be impolite because that could give her reason to go against you even more. All the best ~

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I never had a mom so I'll take what I can get.

1|0
    0|0
  • I haven’t met her yet. But I’d like to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bates motel anyone

0|0
    0|0
    • Is it true your mom still spanks you

• ... so I'm guessing u haven't watched the show

• Also why r u addressing me this doesn't make sense I am so confused

• My best friend doesn’t really gel well with her mother in law either. She finds her too controlling.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do. I fucking hate her. Luckily she not my birth mother so it's no real loss. (Ik my birth mother)

0|0
    0|0
  • I like my boyfriend's mom but there are some things she says that puts me off a little. Like i dyed my hair and she said "hmm.. I like it better lighter" I appreciate the honesty but it would have been nice to say "i still like it though" afterwards

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes