How do I stop mixing up a new male acquaintance's or friend's friendliness with flirtiness?

I just want to maintain a platonic friendship!
I'll meet a guy at school and I'm my normal friendly self. Then he'll start being extra friendly and I think he wants more then friendship.

Maybe it's because I'm not use to guys being nice to me but I start thinking the guy likes me then I start thinking about him. And if I start developing feelings I either end up finding out he has a girlfriend or he starts avoiding me but I start acting flirty.
Apparently guys usually mix them up 😂😂 but supposedly unattractive girls do too because they're not use to attention so when a guy gives it to them they think the guy is interested... well now I see why I would think so- I said it myself "I'm not use to guys being nice".

I'll try to just assume it's all friendliness unless a guy outright says he's into me. Thanks y'all

42

Most Helpful Guy

• Relationship asks for personal time. You and I are getting to know each other, so we share our personal life together certainly, but friendship is actually not like that.

Friendship is... just there. No personal information is exchanged because it's unnecessary. You r cool to me. I am cool to you. That's all. I will treat you like any other girls I meet, not pretty or pretty. The same way. You deal ur problems. I deal mine. No need to tell you. That's your partner's job. It's a responsibility. Sound like a pain to me. Doesn't mean I will not assist you in your life.

In conclusion, if you share your life moment, pains, laughter to us, you are opening to us. It's a relationship call. However, as friends, even though we dont have the right of what makes you sad, but we have the rights to cheer you up. Technically, friendship is just relationship with very limited information about your personal life.

• Good point! When a guy is actually interested he'll try to get to know me better/deeper instead of the surface "Hey how are you doing today?".

• Yeah... good luck

Most Helpful Girl

• Get more male friends and notice the difference between how a friend treats you vs a man who's into you