Do you think having kids is overrated?

Im married but I rather invest in a house, travel yearly, go on adventures and enjoying life than changing diapers and barely seeing my kids after 18 and all my life savings are gone

Do you think having kids is overrated?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Kids are wonderful - watching them grow from helpless little babies that rely on you for everything to bright, intelligent and inquisitive little beings is an experience beyond description and it is magical

5|1
    0|0
    • Can also work on a pet uknow

• Show All
    • It's blindingly obvious you are not a parent

• >”Only a parent will understand this”
      Yet I explained it the same exact way you did.

Most Helpful Girl

• A few things right there. Why get married? First thing. Second, why invest in a house which can stop you from travelling to a new place if you get a better job offer. Thirdly, sure don't have children it's your choice. It's not exactly overrated though, it just happens to be how we kind of survive you know. But otherwise as a personal thing, sure! Don't have children if you don't want to. After all it's not a necessity for you to do that.

0|0
    0|0
    • because in the area where im from in texas a house is cheaper than renting.

• Show All
    • yes, because a normal rent here is 700$ (a luxurious appt is $1000 for a mid size room) so you buy a 130,000 house the mortage is about $600 with good credit and low interest blabla then you just pay the bills and taxes. Maybe its not directly cheaper, but its an investment we have a beautiful spacious house and were planning on adding a pool

• Well, that's great for you then. ☺️

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 56

• Not everyone has to be a parent. I'm an uncle, and that's good enough for me. It's like I get to enjoy the good parts of parenthood without having to deal with any of the bad parts. I only do the fun things with my nephew and don't have to be responsible for any of the bad, lol.

1|1
    0|0
  • The reason couples have kids is because it solidifies their relationship with a strong bond between both hearts. More kids = less chances of divorce. Contrary to popular beliefs: When a kid is born, more wealth actually comes to our life because every child comes with their own alloted portion of wealth & provisions pre-written for them on there foreheads (spiritual/predestiny). I follow the Islamic faith & we believe no one is a sustainer of another & only God is. My parents have 6 kids in total including me, they have travelled the world & now in oldage, they have nothing to worry about nor pay any rent to live or rely on some social security check because we love them & take care of them.. God doesn't send any baby besides providing his/her sustenance to survive on which is in the mother's chest (breast milk). The same way the milk comes miraculously through the mother's breast, parable is the example how we're still living & He (God) still provides for us but little do we know/notice.

There's a famous Islamic proverb:
    "How can I be poor, when I'm the slave of the All-Rich (God)?"

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. There's enough people In the world. It's a serious elephant in the room in my opinion. People say it's selfish not to have kids. I personally think it's selfish to have them. Not that I think parents are selfish people, but it's a selfish act. I think I'll probably have a kid or two some day either way but part of me would rather spend the time I have trying to give the world something it actually needs rather than two more little fuckers runnin amuck, adding to traffic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1|0
    0|0
  • Imagine all the nice things you did for your parents. How many times you made them feel proud and happy even with the littlest things. Now imagine someone who is half you and half of someone you love doing all those things for you. Is it overrated now?

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't necessarily want kids either, i wouldn't mind it. But I'm with you on the adventure part. By having kids, you restrain yourself from going out because you need to take care of your child.

But there's something about watching someone grow up that you had helped a lot. They'll also love you unconditionally, no matter if you're a bad parent, as long as you try to be one.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can never understand why anyone in their right mind would wanna have kids. You're voluntarily giving yourself extra expenses, extra duties, extra chores, extra worries, extra headache, less free time, less freedom, and the biggest responsibility you can ever have. Why would you do that? The most I'd do is sponsor a child or babysit my nieces and nephews.
    Team Robin Sherbatsky for the win yo

0|0
    1|0
  • When they're born you think of all the cool jobs they can get when they graduate, then when they start school you realise all the other kids are smarter than yours and your kid will end up flipping burgers for minimum wage, don't have kids, get a cat or a dog, you don't have to worry about Fido failing his Eleven Plus and being a pointless failure like his parents.

0|0
    0|0
  • Overrated - definitely not

People get married & ultimately have children. That's how our species continues to live. If you didn't want to have kid, you shouldn't have married in the first place. You can travel and enjoy all you want with your boyfriend.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, holy crap. Kids are so expensive, I dont get why people feel the need to always have kids. My girlfriend and I want the extra money to be able to travel, have a nice place, etc. Selfish or not, itll make us much happier

0|1
    0|0
  • I will never have children. Too much extra responsibility, too much heart break, too much of a financial hit.

3|1
    0|0
  • Yes and no for your age having a kid isn’t a good idea (my age it isn’t a good idea and I’m 24). Later in life late 20 and your 30s go for it having kids isn’t over rated it’s a need in order to continue the human race. Doesn’t mean have them to early

0|0
    0|1
  • If you've been on birth control, you shouldn't have kids, because your oxytocin levels will crash when you come off them and a doctor will have to prescribe you oxytocin both so your body can go into labor and also so that you can properly bond with your baby.

Why do you think post partum depression and psychosis, which used to be extremely rare indeed, are now being reported at epidemic levels.

0|0
    0|0
    • Maybe they're just being better diagnosed? Mental health wasn't as openly talked about in the past.

• Show All
    • More women certainly did die in childbirth in the past.

Do you have a source? Otherwise, I'll remind you that correlation does not equal causation.

• @snowangle Especially not when you're a multi-hundred dollar industry that could be looking at a class action lawsuit of Biblical proportions, right? Grow up and don't be so naive. It's sickening in this day and age.

• My kids are the best and most important thing in my life.

But they're not easy.

If you don't want kids, don't have them, don't feel like you should cause other people are.

1|2
    0|0
  • It could be for some, I suppose. Marriage and children are not for everyone. Yet, (almost) everyone has kids and/or gets married anyways. People need to really dig deep down and see if they really are to get married and have kids. Not everyone is "built" to have them.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you rather travel and invest in a house, will that's fine. But changing diapers isn't even a big deal at all and if you're worried about not seeing your kids after they turn 18. You're probably a bad parent.

1|0
    0|0
  • Please don't have children then. You're simply not ready.

Love and family is about GIVING, not GETTING. It's just not all about YOU!

3|1
    0|0
  • If you have to ask that question, kids are probably not for you.
    And no... Pets are not the same. Pets can never be self-reliant. They can't grow up and make themselves a sandwich

1|2
    0|0
  • I used to think that until I had my 2 kids. I now think that having big families is overrated; the mess and noise kids make is enough to make you go crazy let alone when you are fighting 5+ of the little monsters :D

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd rather spend the time doing other things with my s. o. Or get a pet.

3|0
    0|1
  • No, but if your biggest priority in life is money and things rather than family, then it's probably a good thing if you do become a genetic dead end.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 35

• People get married to have children, to continue their generation, just because you don't want children doesn't mean your husband will be okay with being childless.
    Plus, if your parents thought like you, you would not have existed, and somebody used to change your diapers. Perhaps, you can be more grateful and respectful to your mother, and if you hate the idea of parents not seeing their children when they are above 18, then perhaps you can make sure you are not one of those children, and you do see your parents often.
    This only happens in the Western culture, where children have more pressure to move out, I am an Asian, and in the Asian culture, daughters can live with their parents until they get married, they either live with their parents or their husbands but not on their own. This is to protect them and to stop them from committing adultery. And the youngest son gets to live with his parents even after his marriage, to look after his elderly parents and to give them company.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not overrated. But a matter of personal choice.
    I would get married, travel and go on adventures with my husband and then have children.

3|0
    0|0
    • i think thats what everyones doing nowadays

• It’s a personal preference. I strongly feel that those who aren’t 100% invested and sure about being parents shouldn’t do it. It’s too much of a commitment without wholeheartedly desiring it.
    For us, I don’t feel it’s overrated... we’ve travelled, we each have property, children and the perceived negatives that come with it are something we want to experience together but I understand it’s not for everyone

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so. My daughter is my lifeline. I don't think I would be alive if she wasn't in my life. She truly brings out the best in me and my love for her is unconditional.. there is no other love like that of a parents.

1|2
    0|0
  • No, I don't. I want to get married with kids someday, and I think it will be great. Usually men don't want kids though.

If you think it's overrated, that's fine, but you do realize you can invest in a house, travel yearly, go on adventures, and have fun as a parent, right?

0|1
    0|0
  • I dont think its "overrated" because people actually do aspire to have kids and take on that role. Your life doesn't stop once you do but it doesn't change. there's others who don't want that and thats okay too.

0|0
    0|0
  • As someone who's been literally dreaming of having children pretty much since I hit puberty, I don't think it's overrated. BUT, I believe it's definitely not something to pressure or force someone into. Child rearing is no small thing.

My brother and his wife have decided not to have children, and while I'm selfishly sad about it, I respect their decision. It's their life.

0|0
    0|0
  • You have every right in the world to not want and never have kids. Don't let people pressure y'all or make y'all feel guilty or upset.
    We never wanted kids and planned on not having any. But then we got pregnant (I was told by several doctors that I couldn't get pregnant) and now we couldn't imagine our life w/o our child.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you get into a relationship or just got married, it seems all of your friends and family just ask when are you going to have kids all the time and I do think it is overrated. Kids are a lot of fucking work lol and they definitely test your relationship and lower your freedom to do things freely.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tbh... i never liked kids and i AVOID them by all means possible. Nothing and nobody can convince me to have kids. It's your life and you do what you want.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is all about decisions. Not everyone should have kids. There is no must.
    I personally think being mother completes woman. I do not mean without kids you are not woman.
    Being a mother makes you less selfish, creating, giving without expectation because kids are born that way. They just need you. They are pure. It is so magical i think. You create human being in your body can you believe. It is truly magic.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’d prefer traveling, spoiling, and spend time with my partner then settle n have kids. Adventures and discovering more about each other. Then wondering damn I wish we went there or did this and so on. XD
    So I’m with you!

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree. And I would be a terrible mother. I'm never having children.

2|0
    1|0
  • I don't think so.
    But obviously not everyone see the the various aspects of situation and things.

For me its a very beautiful thing, so miraculous. The whole concept that you can make a life is mind blowing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so. I have a house, already travel, have my own business, but I still want kids.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it's overrated to people who don't really want kids to begin with. To people who want kids, it's not overrated. At least I hope so, because otherwise why have them.

1|0
    0|0
  • well you are young, of course you want to experience life for yourself before you have kids. that's what you're supposed to do in your twenties, be a bit selfish, cause once kids come, they will be the primary focus. just because you're married does not mean children have to come straight away. but I do believe you might reconsider some years later once you got certain things out of your system and your priorities shift. do not rush into it. just enjoy life as you do, be in the moment, don't let anyone pressure you, if you will have kids it's on your own time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Some people think that kids are necessary to a happy life. While it's the case for some people, some other can be happy and have a fulfilling life without kids

0|0
    0|0
  • Am with you on this one. I have friends who talk about nothing but their kids and grandkids, it is so so boring. Little Sheila blew her nose, little Sheila walked across the garden, little Sheila smiled and ate an ice cream. Pleeezze. She is just another human. not a God or an angel. Just doing ordinary every day things. The grandparents and parents I know often live their lives to serve their kids and grandkids. That is all there is to their life. They have no life of their own. They are babysitters, they buy them presents and that is it. Sad. Travel. Or in my case work hard and help people. Whatever suits you. But do not just be a glorified babysitter or nanny. All of your money disappears on them and then when they grow up nine times out of ten they are off and barely bother to keep in touch.

0|0
    1|0
    • You said travel.. and help people.

Why bother helping people.. random people when you can help your own family. Its not like random people will keep in touch with you anymore than your own family.

• Overrated. I don't see many delighted parents when they're running around constantly after their kids.

0|0
    1|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes