Is it weird to befriend this guy who work for me? (academic setting)?

I really want to be friends with this guy who works for me on a research project. Just friends, nothing romantic. But I'm the lead on this project, he's hired to work for me, and I'm probably around 7 years older than him. Is this weird and would it come across as creepy if I tried to befriend him? Is this in general a bad idea and should I just wait till he's not on this project anymore? And even if we are not working together, maybe it's still weird given the age difference? I'm so confused.

1