Parents publicly shaming kids for misbehaviour: Your thoughts?

There is a trend of parents publicly shaming their children when they misbehave, they get the kid to hold a home-made sing in public with text explaining what they did wrong.

What are your thoughts on this type of discipline/punishment?

detailed and thoughtful answers are appreciated

Would you ever do it with your kid?

(short 1.5 minute clip)
this seems to be an American phenomena

3141

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depends on the act and the kid, some this would be appropriate some wouldn't. What each parent does is really up to them. The ones who are saying you would act out more well a parent would learn from that and decide on another form of discipline. Parenting is so hard. It's unnecessary to judge people's parenting skills when it comes to such as this. Not feeding or not clothing or not loving a child we all know that is things a parent shouldn't do. But when it comes to discipline there is such a wide range of personalities to deal with. There is always preferences to what is and isn't acceptable. A bully most likely does need that type of consequence. Who knows who else or what else it might work for. Parenting is learning as you go. All kids and situations are different. Who are we to say this is good or bad.

As far as would I do it? I don't think so. She doesn't cope well with such as this. I'd decide on something else. For a future kid with a different personality, I'd just be learning as I go it will be trial and error.

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely in favor of it when more conventional methods have failed. To quote from Joanthan Swift, “I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.”

Shame has the virtue of calling us to virtue by laying bear our failings. When we seek to hide from the truth of our conduct - and indeed of our natures - there is good reason.

Shame is the expression of that which we seek to hide either from others or from ourselves. It may be, as was said in the movie Bull Durham, that "the world is not made for people who are burdened with the curse of self-awareness." That said, to all obvious evidence, we have too little self-awareness.

Forcing a person to face themselves in all their virtue - and all their failings - is the surest way to get them to confront to their true selves. That is the first step toward improvement.

In our theraputic populist age that has been forgotten. We are all assumed to be good. We are not. Shame confronts us in our brutal reality.