Do you believe in “don’t have kids if you can’t afford them?”?

• I agree
    Vote A
  • I disagree
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Absolutely! Having children is about passing down the linage of your heritage and giving them all the love and care in the world because they are now a part of the family! How could you possibly provide the happiness and care your children needs if you can't afford to cover their basic needs such as clothing, diapers, food and such as well as your own needs? It would be selfish and cruel to have them suffer from something they didn't have a saying to.

If you're planning to have children, you really need to discuss about it with your partner about the whole procedure because having a child is life-changing and will require a lot of responsibility and planning to make it work. When I look around seeing people having a lot of children with no stable financial plan in mind, it just saddens me when I see them suffer all the time from a lack of proper nourishment and not having their needs met. I wish people were more educated about the consequences of unprotected sex and knowing what kind of budget plan is needed to ensure a safe and happy future for their children!

0|0
    0|0
  • If going to have sex, need to be prepared to stand by any new Baby. A kid needs both parents. If can't afford it, try like crazy to work more & support the family. Thats my philosophy.

1|1
    0|0
    • I think expecting people not to have sex until they can aford a baby is cloud-cuckoo land.

• Show All
    • Have you ever met any real people? It's as likely to work as pure communism.

Apart from anything else, you'd probably need a DNA sample from every person in the US to be able to identify the parents.

• Apt name there 'goaded' . Not rising to it. That is my philosophy & if every bloke followed it, the next generation in USA & UK would be a lot less fked up. Yes, irresponsible women who have unprotected sex with more than one guy at the same time & get pregnant are also a scourge on our societies. The kid deserves to know who his Dad is.

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't understand how my parents could selfishly have 3 kids when they can't even afford a house, and we live in a small apartment building complex. Their excuse for having me was "we wanted to have another girl." They don't give us any love or attention that we need. Completely ridiculous in my opinion. They lay on their asses all day, and still want US to take care of their lazy asses when we're the ones who do most of their work for them. We had to independently do everything on our own. Conceiving us is not an excuse to say I paid and took care of you, so you have to take care of us because 90% of the time we already do that shit. Expecting me to let them live in MY HOUSEHOLD by the time I can afford one. Stupidly planning to use their retirement money for a house they can't afford to pay off, and expecting us to pay off a house. Ridiculous. Honestly, stupidly ridiculous. This is why people shouldn't have kids if they can't afford them.

2|1
    0|0
    • Yeah I agree that too some parents do have tons of kids to be helped out but in the long run the kids need to take care of their own lives too :/

• It must be really hard for u and ur brother and sister

• ... and I also believe in don't buy a car if you can't afford the payments, don't go on a vacation with your friends if you have to decide between rent and going... Kids are an expense and "love" doesn't fill their bellies with food or make sure they have adequate health care. I've never heard of any kid who grew up below the poverty line or homeless saying that the experience was so great or that they enjoyed having to get government assistance, or beg for the basics. If you have a choice in the matter, think smart, think about the welfare of that potential child, and don't have kids unless you can afford them.

2|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 48

• It's a hugeeeee topic to talk about, really. Should think about it over before you can really have any kids. I can't think much about it. But I'd love to adopt them in the future ONCE I already could take care of my financial stuff first. Having a home, a shelter for my family.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only an idiot would have a kid they can't afford. That's how you don't only ruin your life, but your kids life too.

2|1
    0|0
    • Very true, I just saw some woman maybe mid 20’s looking for one room to house her and her 5 kids... I’m like God is on her side if she finds someone willing to take all them

• Poor that lady...

• If someone planned well since the early 20s, they aren't...

I can easily afford 3 with my job..

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends how far the lenghts of can't afford them go... I remember being a child I learned to appreciate some of the missing things more just becouse I did not had them. For example... had no heat in the house for a year and my father mother and I gathered only in 1 room that we could heat up gave me a cosy feeling we would play all these boardgames and had a lot of fun. Not having chocolate all the time actually made it taste better and I wouldn't get fat... dunno a lot of good sides too

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that you can have a child so long as you have the time and money necessary to properly raise a child, even if it's just enough. You need enough money to provide them with food, clothing, housing, and education. You need enough time to teach them right from wrong and how to properly live a happy life.

I voted disagree, but after a bit more thought, I changed my mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well yes if you are struggling financially you should try to avoid kids they will be a further strain and likely you are setting them up for a life of struggling same as you which is unkind
    The real question though is how to get the people who can afford the kids to have more of them if those who can't finally have less

0|0
    0|0
  • If you can't afford to have kids (including having a financial safety net) then no, you shouldn't have kids.

2|1
    0|0
  • I agree, but I also think that working full time in any job should earn you enough money to support a small family.

1|1
    0|0
  • absolutely not
    because I believe that when every person come to this world it has its own attention from god and he will feed it by any means and and thats the point because its partners will feed too

and i'm sorry for bad writing
    i hope you get what i said

0|0
    1|1
    • So those starving African children are being fed! Oh... wait... they are still dying

• Coming from someone who just had their first kid at 31 yes I believe that you shouldn't be having kids unless you can financially support a family. A child is completely innocent and a clean slate. Why shouldn't they be entitled to everything they could possibly need to grow and learn/experience life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. You have no business having kids if you and your partner are in debt or just not financially stable. But yet people everyday have them and they are broke

1|2
    0|0
  • I strongly believe in that but at the same time if the parents are really caring and loving then it really does make up for it. But mostly it's a double whammy and the parents are bad and poor

0|0
    0|0
  • If you can't afford them then give them away?

I think everyone has a right to have kids even if you're poor. But I would suggest not having kids if you can't give them a good life.

0|0
    2|1
    • Well, the thing about giving them away is that it's like giving a part of you away. There's no guarantee that a child will be given to a good family or will have a good life.

• Show All
    • Well, even if there was a possible chance in giving my child a better life, I don't want to even think about what if my child gets the short end of the stick, and ends up abused in another family, or sad and upset. I'd want my child to get to know the person (me) that raised them even though that might be selfish of me. What I also don't want to happen is for my child to become a bad person. If it is just one child, I'll make anything work for that child even if I AM poor. My child will be the one who keeps me wanting to get better for their sake. So, I think even though I might not be able to afford it. I'd do better at trying to make my child into a better person because well, I can't necessarily trust anyone else to guarantee all of that for me.

• That's good to try your best for them. I don't think it's selfish to keep a child if you love them

• Now, what "able to afford" them means exactly is hard to say..

0|0
    0|0
    • i think they mean being able to provide for them. Food, shelter, healthcare, all that good stuff

• @jhale sure, I get that :) But even so there's varying degrees of that. For instance, my brother and sister-in-law had to temporarily go into debt with the initial healthcare costs for the birth of each of their three kids. They're back out of debt now and able to put away a little each month for their kids future college funds. For me personally, that's still too close to the financial edge, but I think most people aren't even doing that well at "affording" the kids they've had.

• I absolutely and totally agree! People who don't end up burdening others with the care of their kids... and tend to eventually bitch about the cost of kids...

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course. Not only you won't make them happy, but you'll put the burden of your kids on your country's shoulder, and basically make other people for something you could have avoided.

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree you should only have kids when you can take care of them and put them in a good environment.

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe in don't have kids cause everyone's a moron.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why would you have kids if you cannot afford them? I think it should be classed as a form of child abuse to bring up a child into a deprived family.

0|0
    0|0
  • That is exactly what I do and will always do.

And even if I get rich, I still won't have them ;P

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, if you are not financially stable you shouldn't even be thinking about having children.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used it for myself.

Difficult to convince others: half of pregnancies in the US are unplanned

www.guttmacher.org/.../...intentionstatuschart.png

www.guttmacher.org/.../unintended-pregnancy-united-states

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree. Kids are expensive.

2|1
    0|0
  • See how ur girlfriend acts around u before u crossthat bridge.

0|0
    0|0
  • Daa ofc I do and dont have kids if you are not ready to have them

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't necessarily agree with it, but I totally understand where it comes from

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes like every sane person should

1|2
    0|0
  • Yes, definitely.

2|0
    0|0
  • I agree. That's why i support abortion.

1|3
    0|1
    • I 100% support abortion it just sucks that even then its pretty expensive to have one ( of course not as expensive as having the actual child but still)

• Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 17

• I think making the choice to have kids should be made only after actually being sure about it and capable of taking care of them. But at least where I live most people get by even with kids that weren't planned, because the government helps out a lot.

1|0
    0|0
    • You are right what brought me to this was some woman was looking for a room for rent in Los Angeles but she has 5 kids!!! I’m like omg... I even wonder if she’ll find a room

• Yes. I come from one of the most densely populated countries in the world where a lot of people are not into family planning. I have seen kids suffering because the parents couldn't even earn enough for themselves. This does affect my view on having kids.

2|1
    0|0
    • Oh yeah I have seen that too, they suffer mentally, emotionally financially, it just depends. I have a friend who has 11 siblings all together and they get along but still feel the competition within each other

• I mean yes, kids do need money but many kids are brought up in wealthy families with no love and they end up growing into selfless pieces of sh*t with traumatizing childhood experiences

3|1
    0|0
  • Many people are poor and have kids. I think it's stupid to mandate that you can only have kids if you can afford a certain number of luxuries. Since when does wealth qualify anyone for being a good parent? God forbid your child shouldn't always have the latest toys or clothes. Questions like these are almost never about true affordability, but a checklist on how many indulgences you can afford. It is astonishingly easy to make room for another human being if you really try.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I do
    Because there is no reason to have children... and say if the child got sick had go to the doc... and say u only had 20$ and no car and no one could take you then what would you do?
    I'm sure u don't want the child to die
    Wait and save money so u can have a child

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree 1000% why plan to have a kid if you can not afford to give them some sort of stability for them to live comfortable enough.
    I think when you want to have kids the first thing you think about is how will i tale care of them, will i be able to do so.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I don't think it's wise to procreate if you can't even feed them. People should use protection and wait until they are able to give their kids all they need.
    I'm not even talking about giving last generation cellphone or tons of designer clothes, just a proper life. I've seen families who choose to have a lot of children and then the kids are barefeet, dirty and malnourished.

0|1
    0|0
  • My analogy is "When is there ever a right time then?"xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because I feel for the kids who grow up not knowing where their next meal comes from and when.

1|2
    0|0
  • Yes but I also believe that accidents can happen and that birth control isn't 100%

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because kids need a lot of things and they are really expensive to take care of

0|0
    0|0
  • Agreed. Why having kids to starve them?

1|0
    0|0
  • 1000000%

1|1
    0|0
  • Totally agree

0|0
    0|0
  • I totally agree

0|0
    0|0
  • Duh.