Should you still be friends with an ex of a family member?

Updates:
Just to be clear, I mean an ex boyfriend/ex girlfriend of someone in your family. Like if your sibling broke up with their SO, would it still be okay to be friends with the person your sibling used to date?

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I think this is perfectly fine. Just because their relationship didn't work out doesn't mean the person has to disappear from your life. This is also true for ur own ex. You don't just throw out good people form your life like that. That'd be insane in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • hey, well personally both my elder sisters long term exes i still have contact with... i loved them both.. but we are talking a long term relationship with children borne from that... if it were a short term thing that ended in ugly circumstances even though i may of found them quite friendly i guess i would have to err on the side of my sibling... however... i am certainly a soul who would not respond to any other soul purely based on some others encounters with them... like they say... what goes on behind closed doors... you can always bet your bottom dollar the story you hear from one favours themselves... so at the very least i would be personable to an ex up to yes a friend, when my eldest sister and her husband split up when i heard the news the first person i rang was him in fact.. to express i understood and he would always be my big brother xx

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• This one is somewhat tricky questions but is basically depends how it ended between them. If it was a bad breakup then under no circumstances I would wanna be friends with them. For me it's see no matter how cool the other guy/girl is my family comes first and it's my family's opinion about them that matters first. I in no situation would want to cause distress and have a troublesome relationship with any of my family member over a stranger.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is a black and white question about a gray subject. Every relationship has it's own chemistry. How people interact with each other comes from experienced prior to and during the relationship. This is true with friends, lovers, and exes. It may be totally fine to remain friends with no bad consequence, however emotions are fluid, changing, and not always rational. What works for some friends and lovers may not work for the next. If the intent is to explore the option, then communication of honest intent is key to a positive outcome.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 25

• Don't know but my cousin brother is still friend with my cousin sister's ex-boyfriend...

0|1
    0|0
  • You should ask your family member as they may not be ok with it. I guess you don't want anyone to get upset over this. Also, even if they're ok with it I would think about the reason they broke up. If your friend did something really bad then that says something about them as a person. For example if they betrayed their partner they can betray you too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends why they broke up. My cousins ex fiance is best friends with her brother (also my cousin) now and they do everything together and he's became a family friend and works sometimes with my father and comes round for tea. He's like a big brother to me at times

0|0
    0|0
  • I had the misfortune of watching my best friend, my cousin, get into a serious relationship with my stepbrother, my mum's boyfriend's kid. I eventually became closer to my step brother than my cousin but when they broke up I never saw him again. It was pretty sad. I still want to be friends with him but I feel like my relationship with my cousin is more important so I don't try.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sadly I’m watching this happen in my fam. My ex husband was abusive and yet my sister and one of her daughters are still friendly with him. 🤷🏻‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending on the breakup.
    If it was because they did something awful? No.

If it was just a normal, not evil breakup, sure. If I liked them.

0|2
    0|0
  • No, I feel like I’d be betraying my family member. But it depends. If we were always best friends BEFORE they got together, then I’d definitely continue.

0|0
    0|0
  • If the breakup was due to a major betrayal or abuse, I’d not reward them with my friendship. If it’s just two good people who drifted apart. Why not

0|0
    0|1
  • It's hard to tell if he's an ex family member. I mean, yes, he's my mom's first husband. But is he my real father? It's very possible but he refuses to do a DNA test.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd be cordial if I seen them. but if there an ex fam member who has a kid with a family member I'd be friends with them

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes I'm still friends with my cousins ex girlfriend but it hasn't really been a problem for me but for the family yes because he has moved on and so has she.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. The chapter isn’t the only thing that’s finished. Throw away the whole book.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think I like his brother better anyway tbh.. he was the worst thing in is family.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it will affect my family member badly then no as I won't pick a stranger over family

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not a good idea. Some exceptions. Otherwise, at least in my family, it’s a no go.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have still been friends with the ex he was just really funny no reason to lose a friend

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so. It's already a past time of your life, why should I keep the box opened?

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe 🤔
    Depends on how my sibling’s relationship with them was like

0|0
    0|0
  • If it Works, Okay Then, Be a friend. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes

I wasn't dating them and didn't break up

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 36

• I think it's fine. If you and the family member have a good relationship and it bothers them, I would break off or minimize the friendship with the ex though.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would be friendly yes but I don't think we should be best buddies or anything.

I guess it depends on the family member though, there's a few I'd say fuck it and would go ahead with it because they are assholes :P

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on if you had a genuine friendship with them outside of your connection with your family. If you had a genuine friendship in your own right, then no reason to dump them as a friend. Assuming they didn't cheat and left on good terms.

If for whatever reason things ended poorly, then it's a gray area. Because in a way you are saying what he/she did is okay by you. at least that's the message you give to your family by doing that

0|0
    0|0
  • I see no problem with it. My ex an I broke up few years ago. And her cuzin and I are real good friends still. hang out all the time. And even work together sometimes. Him and his sister and her husband and his parents treat me the same they always have. No issues. Most of family does not that I hang out with all if them but when chilling you do encounter them.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you were friends before they got together its fine. Otherwise, probably should back away, unless break up was super amicable and your family member is truly ok with you beeing friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was on a stag night last year, and the father, brother and nephew of the groom's ex-wife all came along. He's still very much involved with their family, so clearly it can work out.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah i would, what happened between those 2 is none of my business.
    except for my ex-uncle, he put my aunt and cousins through misery the only thing he deserves is to rot in prison.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep. You stuck with your family but choose your friends. Several exes of family members that I like. much more than the family member.

Blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as it wouldn't cause issues with the family member and I genuinely wanted to be friends with that person I don't see why it would be an issue.

1|0
    0|0
  • The general answer is, no. However, there may be exceptions depending on the conditions of the breakup.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think you tread lightly. i think it depends on the terms of the break-up and how the person in your family should be considered.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure if things ended well or if he didn't assault or abuse the said relative..

My question to you is, what if your family member was the party at fault or not a good person?

0|0
    0|0
  • why not? it's an "other" relationship, not theirs. its your business.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends if its a good friendship id try keeping it, but if its more on the acquaintance side i think id let it go

0|0
    0|0
  • It does make things awkward... but if your like really good friends then yeah, plus on how bad the terms were when you breaked up with there sibling

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends was friendship pre existing the dating - How did dating breakup

0|0
    0|0
  • If you were close to them, there's no reason not to.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe it is okay. Just make sure that you don't try to start any drama or, anything, and you'll be okay.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it's fine, I don't see a problem with it at least

0|0
    0|0
  • Yaa
    why not?
    There are no effects on me of broke up of my sibling

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes