Should you still be friends with an ex of a family member?

Just to be clear, I mean an ex boyfriend/ex girlfriend of someone in your family. Like if your sibling broke up with their SO, would it still be okay to be friends with the person your sibling used to date?

2738

Most Helpful Girls

• I think this is perfectly fine. Just because their relationship didn't work out doesn't mean the person has to disappear from your life. This is also true for ur own ex. You don't just throw out good people form your life like that. That'd be insane in my opinion.

• hey, well personally both my elder sisters long term exes i still have contact with... i loved them both.. but we are talking a long term relationship with children borne from that... if it were a short term thing that ended in ugly circumstances even though i may of found them quite friendly i guess i would have to err on the side of my sibling... however... i am certainly a soul who would not respond to any other soul purely based on some others encounters with them... like they say... what goes on behind closed doors... you can always bet your bottom dollar the story you hear from one favours themselves... so at the very least i would be personable to an ex up to yes a friend, when my eldest sister and her husband split up when i heard the news the first person i rang was him in fact.. to express i understood and he would always be my big brother xx

Most Helpful Guys

• This one is somewhat tricky questions but is basically depends how it ended between them. If it was a bad breakup then under no circumstances I would wanna be friends with them. For me it's see no matter how cool the other guy/girl is my family comes first and it's my family's opinion about them that matters first. I in no situation would want to cause distress and have a troublesome relationship with any of my family member over a stranger.

• This is a black and white question about a gray subject. Every relationship has it's own chemistry. How people interact with each other comes from experienced prior to and during the relationship. This is true with friends, lovers, and exes. It may be totally fine to remain friends with no bad consequence, however emotions are fluid, changing, and not always rational. What works for some friends and lovers may not work for the next. If the intent is to explore the option, then communication of honest intent is key to a positive outcome.