Is it ok to tell a white lie or does it mean you are a general "liar"?

A favorite Seinfeld episode
A favorite Seinfeld episode
So i picked up my boyfriend from the airport. He hasn't told his folks about us for the past year (we are from different races and I'm divorced) and he told his mom he was "in a cab". Made me cringe. Got me wondering, do you ever fib to your folks or others? Does this make you a general liar? Or are there things you are OK lying about and others that are no go? Are white lies OK compared to others?

1024

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the context.

If a woman ever asks her SO if she looks fat, the answer better be some variation of "of course not babe", even if it is a white lie. I don't think this would qualify the man as a liar because he's telling the lie so that the woman can feel better about herself.

So in some circumstances, telling white lies doesn't qualify someone as a liar.

This could be a general rule to follow. If a lie is told to benefit the person telling it, they are doing it for selfish reasons. Therefore they would be a liar.

If they're doing it to benefit someone else, I would say that they are not a liar.

That being said, your boyfriend lying about being in a cab, in his mind who do you think that he believes he was benefiting by doing that?

Did he do it for his own benefit?

Did he do it for your benefit?

Or, did he do it for his parents benefit?

• probably everyones. when he tells them, it shouldn't be blurted out and i should never be objected to their likely racist rant and he was just happy to see me after 5 days abroad.

• Makes sense. Thanks so much for MHO!

Most Helpful Girl

• White lies to insignificant people is ok. Like pulling a sicky at work. You dont lie to people you love/respect. It'd make me wonder what lies he'd be capable of telling you. I find that people pleasers are the worst liars as they find it easier to lie than to disappoint. He needs to be upfront as lying hurts more than disappointment.