Growing up did boys and girls do similar chores at your home?

I mean did your brother or sister do the same amount of chores that you did? Why? Mention your gender. Be honest!

4753

Most Helpful Guys

• Hell no.

I did everything, and my younger sister never had to do anything other than drop off her laundry by the washer and dryer once every few days. Yes, there was some severe favoritism in that household.

Long story short, and fast-forwarding to the present day... I am perfectly capable of living unassisted in a third world country, and she is terrified of driving anywhere more than 25 minutes away from her apartment.

All this being said however, were I in charge of a household, boys and girls would complete ALL chores, at first I would direct who does what, and eventually I would let them divide it among themselves.

• Yes, unless the chore required more strength, in which case I would do it rather than my sister. Stuff like mowing the lawn, lifting heavy things. I'm very glad that my household was very egalitarian, because that instilled in me, at a very young age, that when it comes to housework, both men and women should shoulder the burden equally. My sister and I would always be seeing who cooked better, Mom or Dad, and we would compare. Like we knew Mom's stews were hands down better, while Dad did some delightful things with potatoes.

Most Helpful Girls

• I did dishes, dusting, mopping, sweeping, and helped with dinner. My brother did the trash, mowing, weeds, and any other outside work. We both cleaned our rooms. My mom was old school and believed men did mens work and women did womens. And I don't fault her for it although I felt at the time it was unfair that my brother didn't have to do dishes. I raise my kids differently. They both help with inside and outside work. They will both learn how to change a tire and check the car fluids. They will both know how to keep the house clean.

• Nope I did most. I did chores around the house and cooked for my oldest brothers (I have 3) since I was like 7. I had to prepare the snacks, peel the clementines, cook and clean my youngest (still older than me) brother's room when he came back home. He'd leave me to peel clementines over the bin that was on our balcony in the middle of winter.
    I remember one morning when I woke up my mom was telling me how great my brother was cause he vacuumed the house first thing in the morning whilst I do that every week and don't get any compliments...