Growing up did boys and girls do similar chores at your home?

I mean did your brother or sister do the same amount of chores that you did? Why? Mention your gender. Be honest!

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Hell no.

I did everything, and my younger sister never had to do anything other than drop off her laundry by the washer and dryer once every few days. Yes, there was some severe favoritism in that household.

Long story short, and fast-forwarding to the present day... I am perfectly capable of living unassisted in a third world country, and she is terrified of driving anywhere more than 25 minutes away from her apartment.

All this being said however, were I in charge of a household, boys and girls would complete ALL chores, at first I would direct who does what, and eventually I would let them divide it among themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, unless the chore required more strength, in which case I would do it rather than my sister. Stuff like mowing the lawn, lifting heavy things. I'm very glad that my household was very egalitarian, because that instilled in me, at a very young age, that when it comes to housework, both men and women should shoulder the burden equally. My sister and I would always be seeing who cooked better, Mom or Dad, and we would compare. Like we knew Mom's stews were hands down better, while Dad did some delightful things with potatoes.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I did dishes, dusting, mopping, sweeping, and helped with dinner. My brother did the trash, mowing, weeds, and any other outside work. We both cleaned our rooms. My mom was old school and believed men did mens work and women did womens. And I don't fault her for it although I felt at the time it was unfair that my brother didn't have to do dishes. I raise my kids differently. They both help with inside and outside work. They will both learn how to change a tire and check the car fluids. They will both know how to keep the house clean.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope I did most. I did chores around the house and cooked for my oldest brothers (I have 3) since I was like 7. I had to prepare the snacks, peel the clementines, cook and clean my youngest (still older than me) brother's room when he came back home. He'd leave me to peel clementines over the bin that was on our balcony in the middle of winter.
    I remember one morning when I woke up my mom was telling me how great my brother was cause he vacuumed the house first thing in the morning whilst I do that every week and don't get any compliments...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 51

• In the 80's? Of course we all did chores. That how we got allowance and avoid getting beaten for leaving the house full of crap. We had a list that we each picked items from that we were responsible for. I picked the laundry bathroom and taking care of the pets because to me those were the easiest on the list. I hated dishes.

0|0
    0|0
    • By the way, no there were no specific gender roles towards the chores. It all needed to be done and when I moved out on my own who else was going to clean up but me?

• My sister and I did the same chores, but I did them with more frequency being the most responsible sibling out of my older brother and younger sister. So my parents have always asked me to help out with anything and everything, but would do the same with my sister if I wasn't there

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I did yard work plus dishes, polishing furniture, caring for pets, cleaning bathrooms, washing my clothes. My sis did dishes and her own clothes only.

My mom swears SHE mowed the grass 100% of the time when actually she never did it once. Was me maybe 70% of the time and my dad the rest. Funny how some peopleโ€™s memory works.

0|1
    0|0
  • I mowed the lawn and took out the trash and did other chores outside. My sisters did dishes and other stuff inside. I really didn't pay attention to what they were doing so I don't know if it was an equal amount. And my gender is indicated by my avi/profile.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. As the oldest child, I did the most chores. My brother got very little and my sister got practically none. On days where we all had to clean we would get similar chores but overall my sister would do drastically less than my brother or me.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. The girls had to vacuum and clean the dishes. The boys mowed the lawn. Sounds unfair, doesn't it? It was, but probably not how you think. There were three girls and only one boy, and we lived on 6 acres. On the plus side I was using a rider lawn mower at 8 years old.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep. Everything was the same from cleaning to maintaining except for only boys took out the garbage but not only girls clean the bathroom nor did they do the dishes so it was kind of unfair in my house. Didn't mind taking out the garbage but still

0|0
    0|0
  • I grew up with no father figure till I was 12. My mom, her sister and her mom. Taught me to be independent and be able to do everything I needed to. I was washing dishes, cleaning, doing laundry. Learning how to cook. So I can take care of myself and anyone else if need be.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. We split the chores and rotated them. So everyone took turns at doing everything. The girls were not treated any different from the guys. Except for my younger sister who could abortive her chores without consequence

0|0
    0|0
  • Although this answer like scholars. but as i experence life that home is like kingdom. as kingdom has a king and his prime minster or you may copy from any adminstration. same should be to run home. for that perpouse you have to get that training to meet your goals

0|0
    0|0
  • I am the only child, but my parents do similar chores although there are chores that my mom does exclusively and chores my dad does exclusively because they are better at those.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had a older sister that did things like wash the dishes and vacuum until she got older. Me and my brother didn't have a little sister, but we wanted a little sister there was absolutely no girls in our lives. We did the grass and things like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Can't honestly answer, only have one brother and no sister. So our parents had us do all the household chores.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just labor work. Repairing the car, help carry something heavy, mow the lawn, bring the trash out. My sister mainly cleaned the house and cooked tasty food and desserts but she didn't do anything else

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm well I did yard work, shovelled the snow, vacuumed the house, cooked food, mopped the floors, cleaned the bathrooms and etc... didnโ€™t really apply to me

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the chores rotated weekly so we all did them. The only once that didn't where feeding our personal pets that was always the owners responsibility.

0|0
    0|0
  • There were Two girls and six boys in our house, and we all did our share of chores. I still do all the cooking, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not having any sisters I couldn't tell you. My mom taught me how to cook and do laundry, I can sew, knitt, and croche. I don't see how one task can be considered a female task compared to another.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, pretty much. My mother didn't do shit so it was completely up to the kids.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes we did. But as my sisters were older they did the more dangerous tasks like ironing.. cooking whilst i was young.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did more housework than both of my sisters. I did ALL of the outdoor chores and took turns with my sisters doing indoor chores as well. This is the primary reason that it infuriates me to this day when women, especially housewives, bitch when their fellas don't help with housework (indoors). Nearly 45 years on this planet, with a keen eye for inequity and injustice, and I've never met a heterosexual couple living together in which the female actually works more, harder or longer than her man. Yet more than half still demand he helps her with her chores, and call him lazy and inconsiderate for not volunteering. Meanwhile, they never lift a finger to help him, and most men refuse to bitch about their lazy and inconsiderate mates, so women go on believing that the disparity is in men's favor. All feminist bullshit.

1|0
    0|0
  • Have no sisters but we all woulda done the same as it helps you to become independent and run a household

0|0
    1|0
  • No. The boys were regulated to walking beans. The girls, housework. Old school. Really old school.

1|0
    0|0
  • I did and still do most of the chores (reserved for us and not our parents) while my younger brother does close to nothing and he's turning 15 soon

0|0
    0|0
  • I was the only one in my house to do so called chores. but it was more like slavery because I was the youngest boy in my house

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah actually, altho she's my step sister and lives with my douchebag father so I don't really totally know

0|0
    0|0
  • I did most of the chores since I was the oldest. My sister barely did anything

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes we did and help me because I do things around the house now with my wife passing away

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I did more difficult stuff because I was a male

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope I did the housework plus the yard work my sister never did that

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 45

• I am female. My little brother did the same/similar chores to me. This is because I pretty much raised him and taught him all the important things to survive on your own. Doing dishes, laundry, cooking, even how to manage money.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

I have four brothers and one sister , and we all took turns on doing different house chores.

Fur example; If I washed, my brother dried. Then vice versa the next night.

We had equal shares in doing the same type of chores

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I'm a girl and was the middle child of a family of all girls. I was the least favourite because I wasn't the daughter of my mum's boyfriend. So I ended up doing everything while the other two got away with doing nothing.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yeah, for the most part it went by age rather than gender. Except I was a single born child and then my parents had triplets 8 years later so mostly I did the chores lol

I mowed the lawn, fed the horses, walked the dog, weeded the garden, built the fences for the pasture, mucked the stalls, started dinner, washed dishes, set the table... basically whatever my parents told me to do lol

Now my two brothers and one sister split the chores.

0|0
    0|0
  • No lol. I did a lot more when it came to cleaning, because my brothers didn't really care for the mess and are pretty lazy. I care a lot for mess and dirt, I have to have everything clean, so I was the one getting up and actually doing those chores.

My brother does the harder chores though, occasionally, to help my dad because I can't.

0|0
    0|0
  • Me and my brother splited all the chores until teenage years where he did outside and I did inside but that didn't apply for my younger siblings where only my sisters worked. Interestingly enough that my younger bro after freshman year away started helping during vacations.
    He learned many things and willing to do a lot.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never did any housechores when I was growing up. I was the youngest kid and the clumsy one. My parents didn't want me to and they used to only send me to nearby stores to buy small food ingrediants and stuff. My brothers and sister helped my parents with housechores though.

When I grew up, I did help them with chores whenever I visited them.

0|0
    0|0
  • When i was too young to help much my brother did most of the chores and as we got older we began to share them more and i was given more things to do as was he, and now that he left home a few years ago all the chores were handed over to me

0|0
    0|0
  • As a Girl, Master Here, dear, My other Two Siblings and Myself... Did Chores at Home.
    My One, hun, Sibling to this Day, Complains that she had to Do This, Still Pissed. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a girl, I have four brothers, and we all did the same chores. We had a rotating chore schedule. Inside chores were always the same throughout the year, but outside chores changed depeding on weather and what season it was.

0|0
    0|0
  • We both shared in some chores like setting and clearing the dinner table and cleaning our rooms, beyond that, I tended to help my mom with things inside the house and my brother helped my dad with stuff outside.

0|0
    0|0
  • My cousins and i have very similar chores if we make a mess we clean it up. My younger cousin clears the table at breakfast her brother does it at lunch and the eldest does it at supper. They each have a room them are assigned to help keep clean. I cook with my aunt most meals and clean the kitchen afterwards. We all pitch in to help each other since my aunt is a single mom with three adopted kids and it just makes life that much easier.

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't really done anything except of washing the dishes in turns with my dad and keeping my room clean... All of my siblings moved out as I was still really little so I can't compare.

0|0
    0|0
  • nope, my sister and i were nagged for dishes and vaccuming and cleaning the bathroom and cooking while my brothers had to mow the lawn once in a while or wash the car

0|0
    0|0
  • I grew up alone so I did everything. @Ephemera1 grew up with siblings and he surprisingly knows how to do a lot of chores and he's so hard working

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I have a very "traditional" *cough* close-minded Latin American family. My brother has never done anything but I had to cook, do the dishes and all that stuff

1|0
    0|0
  • No we got the dish washing clean up chores and my brother got the yard work duty.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but my brother got some of the harder chores because he was a lot older.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, my parents still treat my brother like a kid. At his age I did some basic chores. He does nothing

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, and we alternate the chores we have every few months

0|0
    0|0
  • Far as I remember, my brother and I had an equal amount of chores.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, my brothers would help my dad do things while my mom and I cleaned house.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's just sisters at my house, and we don't do chores
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|0
    2|0
  • Well I had to help a lot in my family's Inn. More than my brother had to.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was an only child so my experience was quite different :)

0|0
    0|0
  • By brother didn't do shit. My parents spoiled his ass

0|0
    0|0
  • I as a female helped with the dishes and laundry. My brother did the dishes and the garbage.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol no I did everything

0|1
    0|0
  • Only child... so I did everything.

0|0
    0|0
  • No i did all of the house work

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls