What do you do if your parents hate your partner?

I was really in love with this guy but my parents made me break up with him because I went to his house when they said not to. They hate him and my mom is really mean to him. I secretly still love him, but I won't dare tell them.

I'm scared because we might meet up in the future when we are older, and I'm scared I'll fall in love again. I love my parents and respect them and I want them and my partner to get along, so this scares me a lot. What do I do?

82

Most Helpful Guy

• Try to understand why they don't like him. Your parents are fallible so they might be wrong but they do have your best interest in mind. Can you say the same thing about this guy?

Most Helpful Girl

• Parents do a lot of crazy stuff out of care. They just wanted to protect you, because you're still young, and you could end up making mistakes that you will regret later on, and I think you know what I mean, especially since you said you went to his house.
    They probably feel about him the way they do, because they see him as an "enemy" for their daughter, and are afraid that he might hurt you.
    I suggest you talk to them, as hard as it sounds. Many times, when we are in love, we don't see some of the things that are right there, in front of our eyes, because that's what love does. That's why sometimes it is good to listen to a second opinion. Try asking them what are the reasons that make them believe he is a bad guy/bad influence etc.