What do you do if your parents hate your partner?

I was really in love with this guy but my parents made me break up with him because I went to his house when they said not to. They hate him and my mom is really mean to him. I secretly still love him, but I won't dare tell them.

I'm scared because we might meet up in the future when we are older, and I'm scared I'll fall in love again. I love my parents and respect them and I want them and my partner to get along, so this scares me a lot. What do I do?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Try to understand why they don't like him. Your parents are fallible so they might be wrong but they do have your best interest in mind. Can you say the same thing about this guy?

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Parents do a lot of crazy stuff out of care. They just wanted to protect you, because you're still young, and you could end up making mistakes that you will regret later on, and I think you know what I mean, especially since you said you went to his house.
    They probably feel about him the way they do, because they see him as an "enemy" for their daughter, and are afraid that he might hurt you.
    I suggest you talk to them, as hard as it sounds. Many times, when we are in love, we don't see some of the things that are right there, in front of our eyes, because that's what love does. That's why sometimes it is good to listen to a second opinion. Try asking them what are the reasons that make them believe he is a bad guy/bad influence etc.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• Too bad for them.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I’d figure out why they don’t like him and go from there. I value my family above all else and If they all don’t like him then that’ll be an issue.

3|0
    0|0
  • You ruined this for yourself. If you had followed their rules and let him warm up to your parents then maybe this wouldn’t be happening, but you just had to go over his house, didn’t you? You had to betray their trust like that? They probably only hate him because you’re their little girl.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh girl... I stayed over at this guy's house once and got into huge trouble, I thought they would kill me for sure. If you really like them, just apologize like crazy about disobeying them, tell them you'd never do it again... But that you genuinely like the guy and that you'd appreciate if they would trust you and give him another chance. The important part is you emphasize they trust YOU, so that they look at the situation with you in the center, not him. Then their attitude will be different. If that all doesn't work, well, I don't know if you can be with him.

2|0
    0|0
  • I tell them to fuck off, they're not the ones who have to deal with my boyfriend, I am. So if he fucks me up, that's my fault

0|0
    1|0
  • You should just not tell your parents about your relationships if they are gonna be like that. Its about who you love and who makes you happy not them.

0|0
    1|0
    • This is literally the worst advice ever. You’re so immature. This is not the kind of advice you give a child.

• Show All
    • Um ok...

• If they dont like your partner well
    Let them talk what they say
    Its YOUR RELATIONSHIP NOT THEIRS

JUST BE HAPPY WITH YOUR PARTNER

0|0
    1|0
  • I say bye to my parents

1|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes