At what age will you allow your kid/s to have their first phone?

Updates:
13 d ago
Same age like you when you got yours? Younger? Older?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• It's too difficult for me to say upfront. I prefer to kind of try to take in the particular dynamics and situation and the individual into account. I hope I lean towards later than earlier if I raise a child. I don't approve of parents giving like 10-year olds mobile phones and access to social media here.

>> Same age like you when you got yours? Younger? Older?

Well, I didn't get mine until I was a freshman in university. :-D Mobile phones weren't so normalized though in my case and generation until I was a late teenager.

1|0
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

A reasonably comfortable age for me is like 15-16, though I'd probably have to resist so much peer pressure to go that late since I see kids in Japan now who are like 10-years old using mobile phones all day long.

• 13 d ago

I always look forward to see you answering my question. All your answers seem very well thought and most of the time helpful 😊

• 13 d ago

Oh thanks. :-) I thought about this a lot. I have a niece-in-law who got a mobile phone at 11 and I didn't like the idea very much. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm old enough to use social media. :-D

• I could see giving kids a phone at age 10 if it is a phone that only allows them to call a select few numbers. I would not give them a fully functioning phone until age 14 and then it would come with restrictions. I'm sure they would hate me to my grave but, hopefully, they would not grow up to have digital addiction.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It's hard for me to pinpoint an age as for me, I'd say it depends on how advanced cellphones will be in the future as well as what types of apps and social media will be linked to it. I would also take my future child's maturity into consideration in seeing and observing to where I use my best judgment to hope for the better that he/she will not be consumed by their phone.

I was in grade 7 (12-13 y/o) when I had my first phone, and then it was strictly for calls and I didn't have LTE data on it to access the internet lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • With what I see in social media these days, no phone would be perfect but it's very unlikely. It really depends on the child and how responsible, independent and strong willing he/she is. Getting easily influenced or being gullible are some bad traits for a child to have a phone from a young age. But to directly answer maybe 13-14 so around junior high

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• 11 in my house because it’s when they started visiting friends after school and going to the movies with friends. It’s calming to be able to send a quick text and have them text you right back that everything is okay.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on their lifestyle and on their circle of friends - if they are conservative and I'm friends with the parents of their friends - then 14. If they are not conservative, than 16.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably 16, we will see. I survived without a phone until I was 18. My kids can do the same lol. But 16 seems like a reasonable age to me.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they're out playing (13 and such) they'll get a cheap phone to ring and text me if they need to so I can contact them and them me. Proper phone at 16.

0|0
    0|0
  • I bought one for my niece recently, since she's 15 and needs to have constant contact with me. I'll probably do the same with my own children at that age.

1|0
    0|0
  • Younger since my parents didn't have enough money to buy me a phone until I was in college

1|0
    0|0
  • 16 but only if they are able to pay for it on their own and pay for the cost of the phone monthly.

1|0
    0|0
  • If we’re talking smart phones?

Like 17

If we’re talking regular phones for communication with me or my woman?

Like 5

1|0
    0|0
  • Same age like me. He/she ain't getting a smart phone tho. He/she gonna have one of em old Nokia phones handy.

1|0
    0|0
  • When they go to high school, which is at age 11/12 in my country. They’ll have to cycle by themselves for anywhere up to an hour, and I’d like to know with which friends they hang out.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they should be allowed to have their first cell phone
    when they show they can take on responsibilities it all depends
    the maturity level.

2|0
    0|0
  • When they are able to handle the emotional effects from the internet. Which probably means 15 or so

1|0
    0|0
  • Whenever they start going out without adults chaperoning. I didn't have a phone until I was 17 . I was a much happier person before then.

1|0
    0|0
  • 10 but they wouldn’t have a smartphone cause they don’t need all this technology to communicate to me

1|0
    0|0
  • If they are responsible kids then they can have a flip phone with no data when they reach high school.

1|0
    0|0
  • To be honest when they’re old enough like 16 or later

1|0
    0|0
  • 12 or 13. It's more necessary nowadays. I got mine at 13 but i had an ipod at 10

0|0
    0|0
  • My oldest is six and she has one. I don’t live in a good city and she goes to school across town so she needs it

0|0
    0|0
  • Whenever they need it for school or work, they'll have to earn it

1|0
    0|0
  • I got my first phone when I was 13. I think that kids should get them even later when they start high school.

0|0
    0|0
  • No fucking idea. I'd have no clue how to protect them

0|0
    1|0
  • Never... They'll be lucky if I give them a land-line.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't want kids.

0|0
    0|1
  • Age 35 seems good to me.

1|0
    0|0
  • 11 or 12

1|0
    0|0
  • When she goes to middle school.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never, because I don't want any.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe 13?

1|0
    0|0
  • 25 ...

1|0
    0|0
  • 13 seems about right

1|0
    0|0
  • 13 seems like the perfect age

1|0
    0|0
  • Whenever they work and pay for it themselves.

1|0
    0|0
  • 11. Right when they start middle school.

0|1
    0|0
  • As early as possible.

0|0
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

How early? And why the earlier the better?

• 12 d ago

With so much shit going on? nah i would be too worried about my child out there in the real world. As early as 12, at least.

• They can earn their own phone after the age of 16

1|0
    0|0
  • Great question. I'm super unsure 👍

0|0
    0|0
  • At no age! Phones are evil! Like you.

0|0
    1|0
  • Maybe smae

0|0
    1|0
  • 12 years age

0|0
    0|0
  • I think I was 14

0|0
    0|0
  • when they have a job and can buy it themselves

1|0
    0|0
  • 13-14 and it would be a basic on!

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably 12 but I’m sure it was earlier than that

0|0
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

I didn’t have one until I was 25 paying for it on my own but it was very expensive to have back then

Recommended myTakes