At what age will you allow your kid/s to have their first phone?

13 d ago
Same age like you when you got yours? Younger? Older?

2126

Most Helpful Guys

• It's too difficult for me to say upfront. I prefer to kind of try to take in the particular dynamics and situation and the individual into account. I hope I lean towards later than earlier if I raise a child. I don't approve of parents giving like 10-year olds mobile phones and access to social media here.

>> Same age like you when you got yours? Younger? Older?

Well, I didn't get mine until I was a freshman in university. :-D Mobile phones weren't so normalized though in my case and generation until I was a late teenager.

• 13 d ago

A reasonably comfortable age for me is like 15-16, though I'd probably have to resist so much peer pressure to go that late since I see kids in Japan now who are like 10-years old using mobile phones all day long.

• 13 d ago

I always look forward to see you answering my question. All your answers seem very well thought and most of the time helpful 😊

• 13 d ago

Oh thanks. :-) I thought about this a lot. I have a niece-in-law who got a mobile phone at 11 and I didn't like the idea very much. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm old enough to use social media. :-D

• I could see giving kids a phone at age 10 if it is a phone that only allows them to call a select few numbers. I would not give them a fully functioning phone until age 14 and then it would come with restrictions. I'm sure they would hate me to my grave but, hopefully, they would not grow up to have digital addiction.

Most Helpful Girls

• It's hard for me to pinpoint an age as for me, I'd say it depends on how advanced cellphones will be in the future as well as what types of apps and social media will be linked to it. I would also take my future child's maturity into consideration in seeing and observing to where I use my best judgment to hope for the better that he/she will not be consumed by their phone.

I was in grade 7 (12-13 y/o) when I had my first phone, and then it was strictly for calls and I didn't have LTE data on it to access the internet lol.

• With what I see in social media these days, no phone would be perfect but it's very unlikely. It really depends on the child and how responsible, independent and strong willing he/she is. Getting easily influenced or being gullible are some bad traits for a child to have a phone from a young age. But to directly answer maybe 13-14 so around junior high