Can someone give me some prom advice? Should I go or not?

Prom is on the 20th of June.

I don't know if I should go or not. In one mind I'm thinking: "Yes, because it'll be the last time we get to hang out properly as a group, because next year we'll all be busy with A-levels and looking for universities and I'm leaving this school, so it'd be a nice way to finally say goodbye because I will miss the place believe it or not :P"

But then part of me thinking no because social events aren't really my thing.

Plus I don't even have a dress, I've looked at dresses and they're all SO EXPENSIVE plus I'm not really used to making myself look pretty like that. I don't even know what type of dress to buy, I can't even think of a good way to do my hair, I've got 2 styles which I've been doing my whole life, ponytail, and half-up half-down. And I don't even know if I should wear makeup because it's a special occasion.

I hate the way I sound in this post, like a whiny teenage girl in the highschool movies, I sound bratty I know, but I just really need advice because this is all new and scary to me!!

1418

Most Helpful Girls

• I think you should go.

Just so in the future you don't regret it and wonder what the experience was like. And like you said, it's a good chance to hang out with your friends and possibly make some fun memories.

Are there any thrift stores near you? There's one near me that sells really pretty prom/homecoming dresses for 50 and less. If there are any near you, I'd definitely check there first. If not, maybe Amazon/other online retailers would have some less expensive options. Hair-wise, half-up-half-down is always a cute look, especially if you add in some waves/curls to it (if you don't own a curling iron, there are tutorials for overnight heatless curls on youtube) or down with the front braided back in a dutch braid as pictured below. Really easy but cute. As for makeup, that's entirely up to you whether you want to wear it or not.

• I'd say go, it's an experience you won't have the opportunity to have again.
    Your dress doesn't have to be expensive either, you can look pretty in a simple dress matched with a few accessories. It's not a Gala where you have to wear a gown or something like that.
    Make sure you are comfortable. If you feel better without make up then you can just put on some lip gloss and that's perfectly fine.
    If you want make up but don't know how you can always ask someone to show you. Your mom or a friend...
    Sometimes there's more beauty in simplicity 😉

Most Helpful Guys

• I think you should go, but don't have to force yourself to go but rather embrace and make it about your friends and yourself. Get together with them before the event and do your make up together, go dress shopping together, and if you got a couple guy friends get them to be you and your girlfriends escorts. And if money is tight take your friends thrift shoping and buy some cool vintage dresses for 30 bucks and call it a day. No one will care as long as you guys are having fun and enjoying your time together.

• I didn't go to the prom. My life has been an unmitigated disaster the next 16 years - but I don't think it was related to not going to the prom.

Hopefully you find this advice helpful...

Also, do you have a date? Did some heartthrob Bieber-esque teen guy ask you out to the prom in a fumbling awkward teenage male way? Like they do in the movies?

• 10 d ago

No, me and my friends want to go as a rejected forever alone squad :P

• 10 d ago

Well, if you don't go, then the boy you secretly have a crush on might not get his last opportunity to ask you out.

• 10 d ago

I don't have a crush on anyone, I just wanna go because me and my friends are leaving school now :)