Should my grandma be making me pay rent?

Anonymous
I feel i’m being “used” for my money by family. I am 21 years old. I live with my grandparents. My grandpa doesn’t care less if I pay rent or not because he’s not involved in the situation much. Anyways, I have lived here for over 5 years. My gma suddenly told me a few months ago i need to pay her rent to life in her house. I respect that and understand, as I am a legal adult now. I have paid her ever since she requested me to. The problem I have with this is the fact that she is my grandmother but is also trying to play “landlord” she demands $. her & my grandpa are extremely religious and strict. I have zero privacy. I am 21 years old, and pay her rent, and she will still snoop through my room and go in while I am not home. She may find alcohol in my room and flips out saying it’s not allowed in her home and she has every right to make that rule and go through my belongings. I am paying her just about $400 just to have a And bathroom room here. And I can’t even have privacy, so what exactly am I paying for? It’s the same as before when I didn’t pay. I figured if I paid her rent she would give me some freedom. I am a legal adult to drink if I want to. I personally think it’s ridiculous. Another issue I have is the fact that her and I are very close, and she knows that she is taking money out of my pocket for no reason. I’ve always been responsible with money and am independent. I hate to say it, but I feel as though she sees me making good money for my age and that’s why she suddenly demands I pay rent. She will tell me she needs my rent money so that she can go out to eat or go shopping. I honestly feel like I’m being “scammed” in a way by my own family. Every dollar I earn, I take seriously. And I know she is well off and doesn’t need my money except only when she wants to go on a shopping spree. I’m a hard working young adult trying to save and I feel she’s just taking money out of my pocket that I could be saving. Am I in the wrong for thinking like this?
Should my grandma be making me pay rent?
Add Opinion