Can a fake, liar (gossiper), two-faced and manipulative person change for the better?

Anonymous
Those are the words my boyfriend described my mother as. It's for good reasons. Even though she's a normal, loving mother, she acted like that towards my boyfriend and others. He has negative memories of her and she's the major reason we once broke up long ago.

She claims that this pandemic, seeing more people dying, how a human's lifespan is short, her health deteriorating and her uncle's recent death is making her change and reconsider her ways. She's trying not to argue with others nor create drama. She wants me to inform my boyfriend that she has changed. She thinks that one day they can be friends.

Is this possible? Or is this another phony act? Can someone that was arrogant, fake (talk garbage behind your back to others) and toxic to you change for the better?
Yes
No
GirlGuy
1 mo
She was still talking garbage about him just a couple months after I had a stomach surgery last year in March 2019. She was still holding grudges and acting fake with others last year too.

She claims this year is making her rethink her ways. The thing is she had made broken promises in the past, when we broke up and were friends, she was a fake friend to him for years (always referring to him as an idiot while talking to him nicely over the phone), etc.
2
1