Single parents, what do you think of being a single parent? What advice would you give to those who don’t have any kids?

Anonymous
With me being 23 with no kids I see single motherhood as a tough situation. I used to want kids for some of the wrong reasons. In part, I felt that the youth are typically advised to enjoy it. But throughout my childhood and teen years I was more miserable than I have ever been. When I was 20 I started working at a childcare center and being surrounded by children just gave me a temporary sense of purpose. I was in a pretty bad friends with benefits relationship with my ex and so I didn’t want to get pregnant because I didn’t want the uncertainty of not knowing what would be next. The risk of it playing out poorly was too high, so while I (immaturely) didn’t take the right precautions to avoid getting pregnant I did want to have children under what I would have seen as “better” conditions such as being married, having a great job or having the resources to raise a child. Luckily, despite our carelessness, I never got pregnant and I learned a lesson. Reality hit me in the way my ex treated me over time as well as how much better my life started to go after we totally ended that arrangement and I started to focus on improving my life. Also, being away from the childcare center gave me a chance to work in other fields where I was able to realize that I enjoyed the act of serving and helping others in a MULTITUDE of ways and my enjoyment with being in that position wasn’t necessarily a sign of an innate belonging in a caregiving role. Obviously, one day I do want to have children. And also, because of learning from my own mistakes that could have went differently I don’t judge single parents. But I do wonder what single parents think about their path-seeing as I was so close to have gone down that path too young and too soon
1
0