What should I do in this situation?

Anonymous
Okay so I was friends with 2 girls, we’ll name them Kat and Margaret. My friendships with both of them never were together as in all 3 of us didn’t hang out together. I’d see Kat one day and Margaret the next, they both knew of each other but never hanged out so 2 separate friendships I had. I knew Kat since high school but we didn’t become friends until around the same time I met Margaret so the friendships with them are pretty much the same time length as well.

Anyway, Margaret told me that she was using Kat’s brother to get money and free expensive items because he hoped that they’ll date or at least communicate everyday. She told me to not tell Kat because she didn’t want Kat to know. But, I felt guilty holding onto this information because I would want to know if my brother was doing something of the sort if I was in Kat’s shoes.

So I vaguely told Kat what was happening with her brother and that she didn’t get this information from me. Kat was happy I told her and was mainly upset that Margaret was using him for financial gain rather than actually liking him. I don’t know if they talked to each other about it but I ended up losing both friends kind of. Kat still chats with me every now and then but I’m not sure if she generally likes me still. I hardly talk to Margaret at all but I’ve been trying to keep in touch with her more often and she has been kind to me through text when I wish her a good holiday season. What should I do? Am I a bad friend? I felt like if I held the information, I was going to hurt Kat because she would’ve known that I knew what was happening. But once I told her, I betrayed Margaret.
What should I do in this situation?
1
1