It is bad to feel worse for the relatives and friends of someone who has died, rather than the person itself?

Sun_Kim-Ai
It is bad to feel worse for the relatives and friends of someone who has died, rather than the person itself?
This morning, an acquaintance of mine died of heart failure. Actually, he was a friend of my mother, but I'm not sure if they were on-and-off lovers or what. He would often accompany her around and even visited our house a couple of times, but never said much. He was just 41 and looked healthy, but my mother complained he would drink too much and become a ''slug'' for days - and coming from her who's no slouch in the drinking department, that's something. He used to be a teacher of sorts, but lost the job some years ago and lived on a pension. He talked little and seemed uncomfortable when me or my wife said something to him.
Overall he was an unremarkable man, one I honestly wouldn't notice nor miss, but my mother has taken it horribly and I feel awful for her. Don't get me wrong, I had nothing against him, it's just that you couldn't be either positive or negative about him, he was like a piece of furniture.
I don't know what to think, I want to believe I'm sorry for his death and surely he wasn't a bad man, but my only thought is that my mother is suffering, not him.
Add Opinion