It is bad to feel worse for the relatives and friends of someone who has died, rather than the person itself?

Sun_Kim-Ai
This morning, an acquaintance of mine died of heart failure. Actually, he was a friend of my mother, but I'm not sure if they were on-and-off lovers or what. He would often accompany her around and even visited our house a couple of times, but never said much. He was just 41 and looked healthy, but my mother complained he would drink too much and become a ''slug'' for days - and coming from her who's no slouch in the drinking department, that's something. He used to be a teacher of sorts, but lost the job some years ago and lived on a pension. He talked little and seemed uncomfortable when me or my wife said something to him.
Overall he was an unremarkable man, one I honestly wouldn't notice nor miss, but my mother has taken it horribly and I feel awful for her. Don't get me wrong, I had nothing against him, it's just that you couldn't be either positive or negative about him, he was like a piece of furniture.
I don't know what to think, I want to believe I'm sorry for his death and surely he wasn't a bad man, but my only thought is that my mother is suffering, not him.
3
3