Not Everything Is About Race! (Asian Edition)

Respecting each others races is very important, but not everything is about race.

I would like to focus on a particular matter, our skin colour.

In different parts of the world, we have different trends and preferences.

Today's post is for my Asian community. We are always told off for our likings and ways of doing. We don't defend ourselves not because we don't know what to say, but it's just us to not fight unnecessarily. We are always taught to not create a big scene and such.

But I decided to voice out the matter - of people thinking we want to be white. We don't. We really don't. Many people think we want to be white because of our PAST. In fact, our past doesn't even determine the fact that we wanted to be like white people! (Note: the Asians I'm talking about today are the yellow skins, not brown) We're all mostly very fair with yellow undertones. In the past, the important and rich people barely leave their empire. Thus they were forever fair. However, workers are always out in the sun, earning every penny they can. So it was said, the fairer you were the richer and more superior you were. The tanner you were the poorer you were. Hence, in drawings and all... the queens are always pictured very fair. I believe the white powder used was to enhance their status.

Not everything us about race (Asian edition)!

So with the past behind us, let's move on to the modern days; today. Our mindsets has change a lot.

It really annoys me a lot when I go on YouTube for whitening videos or reviews on cushion foundations and I see people complaining and bashing OUR Asian preferences (did they really click on the video just to comment that?). You don't see us being upset for you wanting to be tanned, right? We respect your preferences.

We were already born fair, so what we want is to either maintain our fairness, to get rid of unwanted tans, or to be just a shade or two fairer.

Our current trend on the broad spectrum is simply youthful. And many of our styles like clothes and hairdos do not fit tanned skin. Whiter skin to us gives us a more youthful appearance, and we are all crazy for that.

Why is it that tanning lotions are okay but not whitening creams? Do you not see the problem here? Most of the comments are always 'love yourself' or something, they always have the same message that we don't love ourselves which is why we want to be fair. Then why are you tanning? For the same reason I suppose? Because it fits your styles and trends, yes?

And for cushion foundations, they are mostly made in Korea. Koreans all have fair skin, so obviously the shade range has to be suitable for Koreans. There are thousands of brands that have a darker shade range, so why pick on cushions? I believe liquid foundation is the biggest hit to the majority in the world, so people who want to buy cushion foundations beside Asians probably just want to try it out or to review it for their YouTube or something. Korean companies wouldn't want to make a shade that wouldn't be popular and sold well in their own country.

That being said, it is true Korea is a bit too obsessed with looks. They really do pressure people there a lot with looking their best with plastic surgery and all, but that's another matter.

Thank you for reading 😊

1317

Most Helpful Guy

• Wanting pale skin? That doesn't mean someone wants to be like a 'white person', indeed many Asians do have pale skin. So I agree with you there.

However you can't deny that there is still a real issue in Asia where it's not just pale skin, it's more than that, it's the blue eye contacts, it's the eye surgery, it's the nose surgery, it's the dyed hair. That's where it becomes a matter of no longer wanting Asian beauty ideals and trying to look white. And I don't agree with that.

E. g Hong Yuh Reum a South Korean 'model' who got surgery to look like Miranda Kerr.

i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...B00000578-909_634x355.jpg

I've noticed it a lot in some Asian countries, particularly Thailand and Malaysia and also in South Korea to some extent. I do think it's an issue and it looks freaky. People should be confident in their skin.

I'm half Asian myself and I find natural Asian features to be very beautiful.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't bash Asians for wanting to be white. White skin is beautiful. What I have a problem with is the fact that racially white people aren't allowed to love our white skin without being called "wayyyycist" by whiny crybabies that are usually themselves just jealous and racist against white people and what them to hate themselves. The reason that they bully Asians for loving their white skin is for the same reason. They are jealous and racist. I actually use Korean skincare products BECAUSE I love my white skin and want to keep it that way. I am Pan-European and due to my Mediterranean ancestry I tan very easily. The problem with American cosmetics isn't just that the trend is go darker here... but also the fact that cosmetic labs are not allowed to test on animals the way they still do in South Korea. When they can test on animals products come out much safer, stronger and get onto the shelves much faster. Unfortunately South Korea is considering to ban animal testing... That's bad news for their skincare and cosmetic industry, and for us consumers. So let's hope that they get perfect formulas before the axe falls on the animal testing. I think they should keep testing on animals and that we should make it easier to in the US as well. That is why their products have surpassed ours in quality. We should learn from South Korea in that regard. If we didn't have such moral hangups on animal testing for all these years, just think of how much better OUR products would be by now.

• yeah :( i've seen people laughing at white people for being 'too pale' which is funny because they were born pale. people talking about how you should love yourself but 'loving yourself' now still means being like everyone else, just lowkey :(

• People even add the word "too" to the end of the phrases in order to help people understand.

"black lives matter TOO"
      "it's okay to be white TOO"
      and ask "Do you get it now?"

• by the way is that Solar?
      I think her profile looks like Solar from Mamamoo.
      I stan them, that's why I ask.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 16

• I have a suspicion this only applies to Korean and (to a lesser extent) Japanese women. Outside of the Kpop boys I don’t really see your average Korean guy going out and buying products to chase fair skin.

That being said, you’re right about letting people do what they want with their own skin. If you want to paint yourself rainbow coloured go for it 😝.

• I agree with you. There are just some people very sensitive about white skin being seen as better or desirable.

• thank you for your comment, and that is sadly true

• You're welcome. If tan skin was the trend there, the people upset would be praising you. There's a double standard here due to people advocating for compensation. For example 10 = 10 mathematically, but in the west many want to boost up historically underprivileged to make equality 10 = 13.

So if the same way of thinking happened in Asia, the people with tans would be outraged and offended while wanting praise due to their tan ancestors 1,000 years ago being seen as low class.

• I find it okay for Asians to want to be lighter skinned, if they want to be more tanned that's fine too. They cannot change their race anyway.

• Actually there is a whole array of beauty.

Fair skin, rosy cheeks, heart shaped face, slender waist, long and smooth hair, pink lips, white teeth, pheonix eyes... etc

Asian had lots of ways for beauty and I only know a few.

Square face is for handsome men by the way.

• Solid peice. Personally, I was not gifted with an over abundance of good looks, but I think that I have learned to make do. I think that maybe people should focus on the beauty they have instead of reaching for something else.

• Staying mostly fair implies staying away from the sun,
    sunrays evidently age your skin.

People say Asians want to stay fair and whites want to tan, but they also say Asians age better than whites. I think Asians make better long time investment. So there's that.

PS: Asian myself.

• Good write up.

A lot of Asian girls here seem to have more pale skin. Of course more don't but I always wonder about it. There are a lot of Chinese, Japanese and Koreans here but I notice some Vietnamese are even more pale when they are traditionally more tanned. I mean, generally I am pale but I guess I have that olive tone to my skin. All good for me though.

Again nice write up ~☆

• you lost all your credibility by implying that race is merely skin colour.

• why are Asian women so obsessed with white guys and looking white haha. thats the real question

• we used to be obsessed with white guys ngl, but that was a decade ago. now we're into korean guys instead!

• lol no. not the Asian girls at my uni and the ones i see on facebook.

• I'm not sure I'm Asian but I look like a foreigner they said having such a pail white skin and hazel eyes that's why I was bullied. I prefer white skin honestly but I wouldn't obsess on a guy because of his race.

• I'm 25% korean, 25% japanese, and 50% European/mid-Eastern mix. But 100% American. I'm cool with that.

• Show more from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 12

• Thank God for my tanned skin.

Well I live in Asia and here they sell a lot of whitening products in beauty shops and I can't help but frown. Even saw a bleaching product to get pink nipples - yes I admit I used to be insecure and even would be tempted to buy it. But now I embrace my real skin colour and you know what? I fucking love it. ^_^ When I'm in the beach, I just feel like a fucking hottie LOL

• Tanning lotions are ok because it IS ok to want to be ANYTHING else but white :) Whites are now being demonized all over the place, as if any of us had lived 500 years ago.
    That being said, I understand why you wrote this take and I like it. :) Plus, Asians aren't fans of victimizing themselves much, which I appreciate a lot.

• For me I'm against using harmful stuff to change your skin color like bleaching to make it white are tanning beds to make you darker also that's not true that all koreans have far skin most Koreans don't have far skin the reason they look like that is because of bleaching lighting from the camera there's even photos of bts are some other boy group with there real skin color and it wasn't as white as they are usually shown ps when I meant far I meant not light skinned but like pale or White also the reason you see people complaining on Korean make up stuff is because said people be choosing colors for there skin that is way far past the own skin color and Sometimes said Korean make up people will paint them self tan to try to make them self's look ugly but then paint them self White after to show how beautiful they are now which is a mockery of people with tan skin most natural Koreans might be more lighter then tan but still have yellow undertones and are not as pale white as they make them selfs to be now when it's comes to make up rang in Korea there's not many ranges they pretty much make one sizs fits all rang and I understand not making stuff that won't sell but still it would be nice to make a little but for tan people. I'm not for tanning sprays that have chemicals in them and they look unnatural sometimes but the reason people dislike whitening cream more is because it's more dangerous it got bleaching agent's and strips the skin but I do believe tanning beds burn your skin up which is bad also many of are styles like hair/clothes dont fit tan skin? Your skin being tan are not has nothing to do with you looking good in hair also when it comesto clothes you don't have to be White to look good in them that's like saying clothes/hairstyles made by white people like Jean's only fit Caucasian peoplenow I believe there are many things in society from the past that need to go like tanning in some small places in the west and the whole white craze in Asian considering being white was seen as not being poor while were living in modern times were being that has nothing to do with that anymore so it's actually ignorant to follow the whole White is rich and cleaner then every other color thing the same way with the whole you have to have a big butt to look good thing in the West. Also I do agree there are sjws who blow stuff out of proportion.

• I love pale skin! I am careful to wear sunscreen everyday. It will help prevent premature aging.

• The reason why I'm pale is because I don't go outside

• Asian? lol you only say about Plastic-Korean lol

• as stated im talking about yellow skin. and no not just plastic koreans? calling them that makes u sound hateful by the way lol

• You Listen 2 Kpop Don't You.

• Is that g Dragon?

• GD though

• Maybe you mean east Asian people right? Because not all Asian has fair skin, i myself has olive-brownish skin and trend here people would called you beautiful if you could have fairer skin as japanese or korean people. Im indonesian by the way.

• Show more from Girls
    2