How To Make Girls (AND YOURSELF) Love The Way You Dress

Men's fashion is a bit of an irrelevant topic. On the one hand, you have absolutely no care whatsoever to one's appearance and then on the other you have super flamboyant styles in GQ that only are really appropriate if you're gay or a celebrity. Even the idea of fashion itself is seen as rather feminine, with girls even saying they want a guy "who looks like a man" thus conveying to men that they shouldn't bother with it. And yet, I think a good amount of men which they could dress better but don't see the way. Or, they try something different and it seems to make no difference. It starts to feel like men just don't understand fashion as well as women, and maybe we don't, but it's really really really not hard to look fashionable and straight. Here's how.

1. Don't go crazy with colors, but don't be afraid of them either

There's a weird phenomenon among guys that goes unnoticed and that's exactly the problem. A lot of guys, reluctant to take any chances on looking too out there, pretty much opt out of the whole thing by going entirely neutral. It's navy this and grey that. The effect? You disappear. Neutral colors say nothing without a "real color" to base themselves around. This is what causes guys to basically look really boring. It's kind of the same as why a lot of guys are considered boring--they don't put themsevles out there and thus say nothing at all. I'm not saying wear purple pants, but put yourself out there with a bright red shirt with blue jeans for instance...

2. Be fitted, not too tight OR too baggy

Guys often shift between the two in a sort of reactive frenzy. Neither looks good, is it really hard to just get something that fits you? Just get something that fits you! And, if you're blessed enough to be tall for god sake take this into consideration before you purchase something that's sleeve doesn't go far enough for you.

3. Throw out clothes after one year or when you run out of closet space

Self explanatory. Clothes depreciate and become a crap version of their former selves. You don't think you have the budget to throw out a perfectly good shirt but you do.

4. Realize there's something to be gained by going higher budget, but also be realistic

Burberry is considered a luxury brand. The clothes are great in quality but if you can't really afford it then don't buy one thing there and everything at some crap store like h&m to make up for it. be realistic with your budget but don't be afraid to spend...

5. Dress for your stereotype

This is the most controversial by far but I think the most important as well. People are superficial and make automatic judgements all the time. Since this is fashion of course it will follow that people make quick judgements about who you are from what you wear. But here's the weird thing--people like certainty and so they like "established brands." No, not like hugo boss, when i say an established brands i mean something like "preppy" or "hood" or "all american" or "bad boy." When you combine a bunch of styles or just don't care at all about what you wear and therefore end up wearing a lot of different crap together it looks confused which is not good. Realize who you are and be honest. For instance, I used to wear a lot of necklaces and dark shirts/jeans simply because i thought the style looked good, but it wasn't me. I grew up rich in the more waspy areas of the east coast, i knew how to sail by the time i was 8. Obviously i'm preppy, but as i'm a grown man that means something like a lot of collared shirts, a lot of nautica, a lot of ralph lauren. Of course i don't dress like a brooks brothers catalogue but honestly somedays i get pretty damn close. It doesn't matter and i never look silly because i pull it off because its who i am really. i'm not posing. And, its a smart cohesive look. Embrace your stereotype when it comes to your clothes...

59
pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not so sure about the classification of the last one being a stereotype. You should dress in whatever you feel comfortable with and that is actually who you are. You may have grown up in a preppy area, but grunge is totally your thing. Even if others are saying you should be preppy because you grew up some place, it's not faking to wear grunge, because that's what you like and it's who you are. I don't think that's some kind of following a stereotype. People simply like to wear what they like to wear.

Most Helpful Guy

• i like nice button up shirts or well fitted t shirts and the pants and shoes always have to match. i have big legs tho, so finding pants that fit and look good is a problem. i also have 2 silver necklaces and a jesus pendant that i can put on either one. wear earrings too. depending on the outfit i might go with smaller ones or the bigger ones. i all have black ones. id like to get a watch too.
    my favorite outfit is a navy button up with the top 3 or 4 unbuttoned with a white t-shirt underneath, khaki pants and white shoes with the bigger earrings and no necklace.
    second favorite is a blue t-shirt with khaki pants with black or white shoes smaller earrings and beaded necklace

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 4

• I used to wear very colourful in my teen years lol

• Dress like who you are, sooo true! The 'I don't care' attitude with clothing annoys me so much! I have never felt more comfortable than when my clothing represents 'who' I am and projects the correct image of myself to the world around me. Modest, fashionable and a little bit posh.

• honestly, I think you should wear the clothes you think look good. The most important thing (imho) is that your clothes fit you properly and are appropriate for the occasion - other than that, I think it's more attractive to wear what you like instead of trying to fit into a certain stereotype. I've been attracted to lots of guys who were very well dressed in a stereotypical way (button down shirts, well fitting jeans/slacks, etc), and I've been attracted to a guy who only wore women's blouses and bell bottoms. Obviously I'm not saying to wear women's shirts, lol, but I think that as long as you have enough fashion sense to know what colors match and what silhouettes look good on you, you don't really need to conform to certain stereotype to look good.

• Personally, I only like it when he wears colors I like.. There's a shirt he loves the color of but it looks horrible on him in my opinion. Like everyone has good and bad colors for instance. I'm more geared towards dark colors purple, blues etc because my skin color and paleness will make a really pink shirt look horrid on me!

What Guys Said 8

• Every occasion has a dress code. You have the casual where it's all from jeans, t shirt, some alright looking shirts, shorts, sweatpants, sweatshirts , sport jackets and sneakers. Formal occasion you can take some better looking jeans, chinos, a nice sweater, ironed shirt, a tie maybe, some nice shiny shoes, and so on. I have some for everything i even do have 3 suits and like to wear suits. It's a personal style, if you in a party with 100 people you will see 100 different clothing styles. Learn to match colors (it's not just a women thing) and always take advice from dressers who work in clothing shops, get ideas , test few and then make your own decision. Now days there is a lot of nice clothes that don't as much as it used to 10 or 20 years ago like suits and nice shoes, if you have a job whatever it is you still can by something neat and nice.

• Throw out clothes after one year? I think not. As long as they aren't frayed they stay. And even then they're good for the gym.

• This is one part i hate of being male is clothes.. Lasses have so much choice in colours ,, dresses skirts pants different tops shoes hair style colour of hair the list is endless. Males trousers shirt or jacket , and a pullover ,, wow ,, only way is to add a little colour but be careful some may think you are gay,, which wouldn't be very good if you are wanting a lady in your life... Oh i forgot nails they can be so adorable ...

• Good post. And I think we should wear clothes in which we feel comfortable and which look good to us. When we like what we are wearing, it gives out a positive feeling to them as well.

• I think you have a point on the "dress your stereotype" part. A lot of guys in the south dress the same practically.

• Wish this take was a little longer/bigger. Still like it though.
    Ralph Lauren is too hyped up. I'd rather go with Chaps or PGA Tour.
    Sometimes RL is too tight on my arms unlike other brands. Just uncomfortable and usually looks weird and the short sleeve RL are too short on the sleeves.

• you dont

• I liked the last point the most, dressing to your stereotype.