The Do's and Don'ts of Natural Hair

Do...wear your hair natural if that's what you want

The Do's and Don'ts of Natural Hair

Unfortunately the world is built with people who think they have a right to dictate what you do with your hair and body, but it's your hair and your body. Wear your hair the way you love to wear it, big fro, poppin' curls, twisted, in a bun, go for it. For those that "don't get it," sometimes they just need more exposure to seeing more people with natural hair to get that natural hair doesn't have to be straight or European looking to be beautiful or stylish.

Don't...be a part of the war between natural and chemically relaxed hair

This is such a stupid ongoing "war" between people who are team natural and team chemically relaxed. If you went natural, that was a decision you made, but that does not mean everyone else in your life has to also make it. On the flip side, if you are relaxed and you stay that way, your way is not better or worse--it's simply what works for you and your hair at the moment. Either way, love your hair, but don't force your views about your own hair on other people if they don't want to hear it.

Do...try new products

Don't get set in your ways with only using 1or 3 products in your hair because they seemed to work at one point. Hair can respond differently to the weather, to vitamins you're taking, to stress, etc. If you're noticing your hair isn't as vibrant, or curly, or it's excessively shedding, don't be afraid to try something else. This can sometimes be a long trial and error process, but trust, when you find something that works, it's so worth it.

Don't...fail to let your hair breath

Sometimes when people go natural, they are "over it," and resort to just covering it up with weaves, wraps, extensions, hats, etc. If you constantly do this with no breaks in between, you could be damaging your hair instead of helping it grow. If you just don't know what to do with your hair, go online and watch the thousands of Youtube Natural hairstyling videos, or consult with a friend who has a great head of natural hair, or go to a natural hair salon and let the professionals get a handle on it.

Do...realize water is your hair's best friend

With a relaxer, water was the devil. You know, under no circumstances, were you to get that relaxed hair wet. No ma'am, no sir. However, with natural hair, your hair craves water. It needs it to keep it from it's tendency to be very dry. If you have really thick coily hair, do not attempt to style/detangle without the use of water, don't buy products where water isn't one of the first few ingredients, and use water to give your hair a good steaming every once in a while to really help your products penetrate the hair shaft to get some deep conditioning and moisturizing going.

Don't be afraid to try something new

Natural hair is super versatile. There are so many styles for both men and women to explore from braids, to color, to dreads, to updos, to short cuts, whatever you'd like. Going natural doesn't spell the end of your styling days and changing up your hair on a whim like you were able to do with relaxed hair, it's just an all new set of beginnings, so go crazy...just make sure at all stages of your exploration, you aren't doing so much excessive styling and manipulation of the hair that you are damaging it beyond repair.

4227

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 27

• 6d

Natural hair can exist for every other race. I find that these tips don't work for me. Water is my enemy, my hair soaks it up and sometimes puffs or dries out when it is no longer moist.

• 6d

When black people use the term "natural hair" it's slang for black hair (and black hair specifically) that hasn't been altered chemically to change its natural texture.

• 5d

Nappy isn't afro textured hair it's unmanaged afro texture hair. You can have afro textured hair and have it not be nappy if it's take care of properly. Kinky = afro textured hair. Nappy = afro textured hair that hasn't been properly taken care of or managed.

• 5d

But my hair isn't nappy.

• 6d

I'm noticing this is only for black people. But I can say that I liked many of those styles. For instance, dreads are one the coolest hairstyles in my opinion.

I see a lot of cool wigs though that black women wear. One looked like a beehive and was red and black.

• 6d

That's because "natural hair" is a term coined by black people to describe black hair that hasn't been altered with chemicals to change it's natural texture. To but it into simpler words it's a slang thing.

• 6d

@xXiTacoXx ohhh. See I'm white and have no friends, white or black lol. So I wouldn't know. But it is literally the same thing white people say. Natural is blonde, brown or any other hair color that you were born with.

• 6d

It's not exactly the same. I say texture and not colour because for us you can still be natural and colour your hair. It specifically means you haven't changed texture and that's it.

• 6d

You put a lot of energy into this thread nice job

• 6d

1. All pics were had something similar (why)
    2. This take just promotes to sell products that you don't need.
    3. GaG is becoming sellout.

• 6d

i have straight hairs if they are short and curly if long.

• 6d

My hair is naturally straight and I do use putty. Before I would gel the hell out of it but I didn't like the stiff feeling. Putty is good because it can hold your hair in place and still allow you to run your hand through your hair.

Even when my hair was long, down to my shoulders, girls would ask me if I "relaxed" it... I was like "What do you mean relaxed?"

My hair is literally that straight and shiny... it still is, but I keep it short to medium now.

• 6d

relax is chemically straightening for kinky/curly hair

• 6d

im only commenting so i can get 6 xper points, but seeing at you put in somework on this ill say that the natural hair styles you posted look really nice!

• 6d

Thanks for providing some nice content. I have naturally curly hair too and I could relate to it.

• 6d

Natural hair is the best instead of a freaking wig or weave on the head unless you have cancer treatment.

• 6d

I heard girls tell me how their mothers told them they should only shower for 10 minutes each time, so they wouldn't use too much water.

• 6d

cool

• 6d

I agree

• 7d

good take

• 6d

Interesting

• 6d

Why are all the examples of black people?

• 6d

Natural hair for black people is very different. Black people use chemicals to straighten their hair; and once there is chemical it's irreversible. Black women's hair has been an object of racism in the past. After slavery black women with lighter skin or straighter hair would get priority in jobs as their appearance showed that they were mixed race. So black women started to despise their natural hair and did all they can to make their hair look "whiter." Hence why the term "natural hair" is a stronger subject for black people. Some black parents do not approve of their daughters to cut their hair or have it natural. Black people are now starting to embrace their natural hair. I personally still struggle going for a job interview with my natural hair and I wear a brazillian hair wig. Most black women always have hair extentions. In South Africa some schools were not allowing black girls to wear their natural hair because it didn't look proffessional.

• 5d

@kimmi862 natural hair is everyone's hair. My hair is natural.

• 5d

yeah i know what you mean. i agree with you. it's just that most black people hide their natural hair so much to the point where they no longer know how to maintain it or style it; because for the most part of their lives; they've had chemicals. young girls start using chemicals at 8yrs old. after that its chemicals, weaves, wigs etc. that's why you always hear the rule; don't touch a black woman's hair. and that's why some black don't swim much.

• 6d

Welp

• 6d

Im always natural

• 6d

Weaves and wigs just look terrible. It is a symbol of ghetto

• 6d

yeah... the first few pictures are far from flattering.

• 6d

My rules are simple: oiling.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 42

• 6d

Nice mytake - the hardest part of going to natural was accepting the natural you. For a long time natural hair has been criticized, even within our community.

Once over that hump though, its all wonderful.. I wish this embracing would have started long before this era!

• 6d

As a "Nice white lady TM" I think that POC should wear their hair however they see fit, just as I do with my hair.

Good hair care is a must for everyone - gotta know how to handle what you have or what you want to have. I'm glad you're putting this out there.

Natural coarse curly hair can look polished and professional, just as much as any other hair type can.

My hair is not particularly curly, but it gets dreads naturally very quickly. White ladies really cannot wear dreads without looking like appropriative jackasses, so I never go out in public with a beginning dread in my hair since I was 11. (Used to have dreads so long I could sit on them.)

I love dying my hair and a few other things, and I think black people, Puerto Rican people, and other people with very curly hair should be able to do whatever they want with it. At the same time, I appreciate the conflicts within these communities, and it's not my place at all to say if it's right or wrong to process your hair.

I have no skin in that game, so my opinion only counts for so much.

But if it were up to me, I would make it illegal to have workplace or school dress codes that prevent people from having their hair natural loose, or in a culturally common style like locs, braids or dreads.

Last year I started making a beard balm to condition and groom facial hair, but my Puerto Rican friend loves it for taming frizz, edge dressing, and "polishing" her curls.

• 6d

Natural hair usually refers to black people wearing their natural curly textures without chemically processing it to be straight. Of course everyone has natural hair, but if you google natural you will see mostly black people. A lot of people are taking offense to there not being white people and she isn't trying to be racist or alienating at all. She just chose to do a take about a particular topic, black hair.

• 4d

Super awesome take! And yes, I always say my hair is like a plant... that water is life!! I love my natural hair! I used to always wonder what I'd look like with my natural kinks and now, even though it's time consuming, I will not ever go back!! I <3 it too much!!

Not to mention I blush like crazy when other ladies commend me on it hahaha... Like yassssss I'm working hard here people!!

• 6d

Its a hellva lot of work going natural.
    My sister had done the big chop and started hair journey from fresh now year later her hair is down her back and you can see the difference quality and texture.
    However the regimen and products to take a lot effort to get right before finding out what works best for you.
    For myself I am relaxed, but I've always stretched them out 3 months instead 6 weeks to allow new growth. Maybe one I'll switch to natural but not at this stage.
    Nice take :)

• 7d

When they were giving out this straight european hair because I have the frizziest hair going for a white person in its natural state like a bad 1980s perm and me being natural redhead it would look Fkin ridiculous...
    it’s ok for you to say don’t do this or that but women want neat hair if it means relaxing and straightening it to an inch of its life then so be it
    You type putting it in buns but in order to do that you still damage hair using dolly grips and hair ties

The only thing really for Afro hair and those with natural frizzy 1980s throwback hair and not damage out hair is wigs otherwise it’s the best little buns with tonnes of dolly grips tied hair spray etc and splitting the hair anyway

• 2d

Great Take
    You seem like you really kow about hair.
    It seems to me that there is more products for silky hair than curly, at least in my country market, so it would be hard finding hair product for my wavy hair, or my sister's curly hair.

• 2d

If you live someplace that doesn't cater to your hair needs, thankfully there is an internet where you can find better resources. I'm lucky, I live in a big city that has hair shows, natural hair clubs, natural hair salons, and grocery stores with ethnic hair sections, but I know not everyone is that lucky. Definitely go online if you just can't find anything that works. There are a lot of people who can relate.

• 1d

Jees all those people are beautiful! Sigh, honestly I'm at war with my hair right now. Its nothing but a tangled mess right now. I almost considered getting a relaxing cause dealing with knots and tangles is getting me down. I feel like my hair is recieving more damage then it did when I was permed. Trying to detangle causes even more tangles.. its just stressful sometimes. =/

• 6d

All these people have better hair than I do, because they are model and live around professional stylists. Natural black hair takes a lot of knowledge, time, money and dedication.

Best decision I ever made, my daughter and anyone in my family will follow the same path, but sometimes I just let it look like a tree, I'm not letting hair stress me out. So glad I work for myself, I don't comb it if I feel like it.

• 5d

I always loved natural hair, on both men and women. I never saw why relaxers are necessary, I’d love to see more 70s style afros around.

• 6d

Nice take

• 6d

Nice take!

• 6d

Natural is always best <3

• 6d

I love my natural hair.

DO: Protective style
    DO: Deep condition weekly
    DO: Protein Treatment monthly

• 2d

I'll also do the same because I have a hard time treating my hair and often wear weaves to avoid dealing with it so much. Thanks for sharing.

• 7d

Thank you for making this!

• 6d

Um, I moisturize and keep my curls hydrated to prevent a crazy appearance (my words). Childhood can be a cruel place. Ty

• 7d

Nice Take

• 2d

Im currently natural and have been for 5 years but struggle to care for my hair because if his untamed it could be which is why I always have it in a protective style. I would wear weaves to avoid spending hours doing my hair but I might try to leave my hair out for a few weeks to let it breathe.

• 6d

Love it. I'm constantly trying to do different styles with my natural but its hard lol whether I straighten it or where it in a wash n go/twist out it doesn't last. If I could just make it last longer I'm good

• 6d

This mytake is spot on. Oh, and do practice the L. O. C./L. C. O methods, and do pre-poo. If you don't your hair will be a crispy mess. Lol

• More from Girls
    22