Things I Wish All Women Understood About Clothing

1. Everyone has fit issues

Clothing is not designed for the individual (unless you have something made) anymore. Clothing is designed for a mannequin with "typical" proportions, and those "typical" proportions can vary country to country and designer to designer. So getting it in your head that there is something incredibly wrong with you because a dress doesn't fit you, is ridiculous. It wasn't made to fit you. There is nothing wrong with you being bigger or smaller or having small or big boobs or the fact that you're petite, plus, or tall.

2. Not everything works or has to for every "body"

There are certain trendy pieces or clothing pieces in general that will look stunning on certain body types and on others it will look awful. Due to the different sizes and proportions of different people, certain things just will or won't look good on you, and there is nothing wrong with that. You should not take it personal or try to force yourself to wear something because it's on trend...just because. You should accept the body you have and learn what works for you. The stylish people we know and love and see in mags and vlogs are ones that can say, I know this doesn't work for me, and move on. This is part of understanding and developing a style POV that allows you to take a sharp editing eye to pieces that have no business being in your wardrobe.

3. Love what you wear

If you hold up any item in your wardrobe, you should be able to say, "I love this," or at the very least, I have to wear this for work. You should not just keep items that make you feel bad about yourself, don't fit, are the wrong colors, etc. Don't buy clothing or shoes that someone else thinks you "need" to wear. If you are not first and foremost comfortable wearing your clothing pieces, you will show it. You won't walk as confidently, or you'll be pulling, and adjusting non-stop. You'll also be stumbling over shoes that are too high or too awkward for you to walk in normally. If something is not your cup of tea, be firm in saying a hard no to it and not wasting your money on something you will never wear or be firm in your ability to toss it out of your closet to make room for something you will love!

4. Money does not automatically equal style

Just because you spent $1,000 dollars on a coat, does not mean you have style or are stylish. It means, you spent $1,000 on a coat. Money does not just mean you have style because you spend more of it on designer labels. I've said this about a million times now, but some of the most stylish people make their own clothes, buy off the rack, thrift, or simply have an eye for style. Many designers which people covet, sit at the same parks and cafes in New York and Paris and Milan that normal people walk by and see what normal people are wearing and take what they see and turn it into runway fashion. You can be stylish and fashionable at ANY price point.

5. Use the internet to your advantage

If you are struggling to find what you like or something that fits, trussssssssssst me, you are not the only one. I have spent hours and many miles searching for long inseam pants which are the bane of my existence, but rather than do that forever, I hit the internet and look for people who share my fit woes and see what they do and where they go to find items that I can't otherwise seem to find on my own. If you can't find it in store, find out where you can AND for a price you can afford.

6. You don't need to defend your style to anyone

First and foremost, you are wearing the clothing and not anyone else. I find that with women in particular, we often have to combat people telling us that our style is not feminine enough, or it's too sexy, or too demure, or not proper or whatever "someone else" feels we should or have to look like. You do not have to defend your style choices. Love what you wear, and wear it and be proud and happy about that. If someone else doesn't like it, that is their problem and they don't have to wear it.

7. But *sometimes* there is a time and place

As sure as I made my last point, do keep in mind that sometimes there is a time and place for your style or fashion choices. Jobs, funerals, weddings, religious ceremonies, meeting dignitaries and VIPS, etc. have a certain dress code which you should abide by out of respect or because it's your job to do so. Adhering for a few hours should not be something that breaks your soul to have to do. When someone lists a dress code or requires one, they are asking you to abide by it in their domain as sign of respect to the occasion or the people involved. It's the same concept as your house, your rules, or your children, your parenting style. If you want people to respect you, your home, and your choices, show that same respect to them on occasions where it is called for. This should not be confused with someone asking you to change your style all the time everyday all day to suit what they think you 'should' have to wear.

24
BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• One more thing: save yourself the heartache and drama and get fitted at a proper bra boutique. You don't have to buy the bras there - but try on as much as possible by as many brands/designers as possible. This way, you know what fits you and how when you go looking into deals online.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 23

• I'm pretty expert with clothing, fashion and I agree it is important to have personal style but it is always nice to receive more suggestions, like in this interesting take, thank you for writing it ^^

• Understanding fashion clothes requires a material basis. I believe every girl has a princess dream in her heart. So we have to work hard To know what we want to know, to realize our dreams. 💜🌸

• Love this article! I also think about the website I buy from. Places like Wish are not to be trusted 100%, its like a lottery with them and clothes haha.

• the biggest problem about clothes for me is jeans. jeans literally never fit me like when i look for a pair that fits me on the thighs, it's super loose on the waist and if it fits me on the waist, it's super tight on the waist... please help!!!

• I love fashion - MY fashion. I run the gamut from smouldering vintage pin-up, to crazy hippy, to Burning Man weird, to urban upscale LA casual (it's a thing), to suitable for any funeral or religious gathering. And sometimes I just have zero fucks left to give and wear Ugg Boots (which we wore in the 1980s on the West Coast if you lived by the beach), and flannel pajama bottoms - to choir practice.

I agree with all of what you said except 2. sort of. I think there are ways to incorporate an element of almost all trendy styles into a wardrobe if you get pieces that are well styled for your size and shape. That just may be very hard to find, or very expensive. Plus, you also don't have to follow trends. Well styled timeless pieces have a long appeal.

4. I want to say more about thrifting and clothing swaps for young people. It's also really awesome to learn how to do some clothing alterations. You can save so much money in a lifetime.

• 2 is just about knowing that you don't have to force yourself into what's the latest style, or go all out to make some alterations to make something work... if that's not you and you know something won't look the best on you. Just because it's in or a staple for other's, doesn't mean you should wear it. Fashion and style is what you've said about yourself. It's wearing what you love, and I'm sure, even you know, certain things just don't work on you or work as well as they do on others, and you don't have to wear those things especially if they don't make you feel good about yourself in them which is a major point further down on the list. I'm saying, the world and anyone in it, is still going to be fabulous even if you don't wear every single garment that hangs on a rack :).

Oh thrifting. I heart the. I've already written takes on this and am a full supporter of bringing people not in the know into the fold.

• Yes, yes, and yes. I've never really followed trends. I always go for comfort and what i think is cute. Which is usually a t-shirt and jeans lol.

• I agree with 4, i wish I knew 6 back when I was growing up 😢

• I agree 👌🏼

• Nice take

• Definitely agree

• Who says they don't know.

• Nice points!

• Great take girl

• I guess most women know all these things

• Thank you

• Fitting always a problem

• Wonderful take!

• Thanks for sharing.

• I think that most women know and understand it.

• I think most of this is common knowledge... but thanks for the info and input! :)

• More from Girls
    3