3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

1. We don’t need to wash our hair.

False ! We need to wash our hair just like everyone else needs to wash their hair. However, our hair is more prone to dryness because the natural oils that come from our scalp have a hard time making its way through the kinks and coils.

3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

2. Our hair doesn’t grow.

False ! Studies show that hair grows an average of 1/2 an inch per month. Sometimes it takes us longer to see the growth because of shrinkage.

3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

3. Only black women wear weave.

False ! Some kind of way, weaves have become synonymous with black women. Several White celebrities wear wigs and weave(hair extensions) such as Lady Gaga, John Travolta, GiGi Hadid, and many more. However, we have perfected the art of sew ins, lace fronts, and quick weaves.

3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

2124

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• So true, so true. My hair is not short but people think that because it only looks long when I straighten it, otherwise it is in micro curls of its own doing and looks short. My hair in my profile picture is after I had unbraided it so it might look longer than how it is today. I keep my hair natural and have stopped straightening it, I put it in braids and African breads, lots of people complement it on campus but I am just trying to get used to looking so diffrent from the other girls who have their hair straight. Thanks for this MyTake I could totally relate to.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Whoa! Thank you for the mho, I did not expect this at all, took me a while to realize you chose me I am so surprised, thank you so much.

• Your opinion stood out.

• Thanks

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 23

• #1 It's naturally black, INCORRECT, it can be all shades of the rgb colour wheel.
    #2 It's hair, INCORRECT, It's actually a parasite that is slowly but surely killing you, it happens in all sorts of ethnic groups and races, however it is actually most common in people of colour.
    #3 Deadseascrolls Pranked ya, it's real, not a misconception.

• Nice take.. Short, simple, and sweet.. I didn't know any of this.. JK.. I knew all of this..

• Dang, nothing I didn't already know, but number 3 has sort of touched what I've been trying to figure out. The connection between black women and weaves. Why not natural more often?

• Black people are very helpful and empathetic. Most of them, if not all.

• Happy to say I've never believed any of those misconceptions.

• More from Guys
    18

What Girls Said 20

• LOVE picture 2 showing the straightened and curly side by side! Excellent way to catch attention. My hair is to my shoulder blades curly, but it's to my butt straight. Hair is hair no matter who is growing it. Curl shape (and ways we adjust for them) is really the only real difference. Everything else overlaps into the same things people of all races experience.

• Oh, another thing: while natural hair looks very coarse, it’s actually very delicate and breaks easily.

• You forgot to add numbers 4 and 5 which are...

4)"Black women can't comb their hair because it's nappy."
    False, we comb, brush, and detangle our hair often. We just used different tools and methods.

5) "Black women wear wigs, extensions, and weaves because they're bald nappy headed hoes."
    No, we wear what we want because we like to switch things up without damaging our actual hair. Also, wigs, weaves, and extensions are a protective style for us because out hair is more delicate. We wear them because it helps grow out our hair, not because we're bald nappy headed hoes.

• So true, thanks.:) and still most times people think that African African people in Africa can’t grow long hair because they always see these images of school kids but in many schools in Africa girls are required to shave their heads or keep their hair braided, but many actually are able to grow long hair. Like the himba people in namibia they keep their hair very long.

• Having a father who is black, and an Indian mother, by some DNA deal of nature I lucked out and got my mum's hair. However that being said, the amount of stick I get from close minded people when I inform them of the things you mentioned.
    Just because it doesn't apply to me, it sure as hell applies to my brothers and my cousin's.
    Thanks for spreading the knowledge beautiful!

• More from Girls
    15