3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

1. We don’t need to wash our hair.

False ! We need to wash our hair just like everyone else needs to wash their hair. However, our hair is more prone to dryness because the natural oils that come from our scalp have a hard time making its way through the kinks and coils.

3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

2. Our hair doesn’t grow.

False ! Studies show that hair grows an average of 1/2 an inch per month. Sometimes it takes us longer to see the growth because of shrinkage.

3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

3. Only black women wear weave.

False ! Some kind of way, weaves have become synonymous with black women. Several White celebrities wear wigs and weave(hair extensions) such as Lady Gaga, John Travolta, GiGi Hadid, and many more. However, we have perfected the art of sew ins, lace fronts, and quick weaves.

3 Misconceptions About Black Hair

2126

Most Helpful Guys

• Dang, nothing I didn't already know, but number 3 has sort of touched what I've been trying to figure out. The connection between black women and weaves. Why not natural more often?

Most Helpful Girls

• So true, so true. My hair is not short but people think that because it only looks long when I straighten it, otherwise it is in micro curls of its own doing and looks short. My hair in my profile picture is after I had unbraided it so it might look longer than how it is today. I keep my hair natural and have stopped straightening it, I put it in braids and African breads, lots of people complement it on campus but I am just trying to get used to looking so diffrent from the other girls who have their hair straight. Thanks for this MyTake I could totally relate to.

• Having a father who is black, and an Indian mother, by some DNA deal of nature I lucked out and got my mum's hair. However that being said, the amount of stick I get from close minded people when I inform them of the things you mentioned.
    Just because it doesn't apply to me, it sure as hell applies to my brothers and my cousin's.
    Thanks for spreading the knowledge beautiful!

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 24

What Girls Said 19

• LOVE picture 2 showing the straightened and curly side by side! Excellent way to catch attention. My hair is to my shoulder blades curly, but it's to my butt straight. Hair is hair no matter who is growing it. Curl shape (and ways we adjust for them) is really the only real difference. Everything else overlaps into the same things people of all races experience.

• Oh, another thing: while natural hair looks very coarse, it’s actually very delicate and breaks easily.

• You forgot to add numbers 4 and 5 which are...

4)"Black women can't comb their hair because it's nappy."
    False, we comb, brush, and detangle our hair often. We just used different tools and methods.

5) "Black women wear wigs, extensions, and weaves because they're bald nappy headed hoes."
    No, we wear what we want because we like to switch things up without damaging our actual hair. Also, wigs, weaves, and extensions are a protective style for us because out hair is more delicate. We wear them because it helps grow out our hair, not because we're bald nappy headed hoes.

• So true, thanks.:) and still most times people think that African African people in Africa can’t grow long hair because they always see these images of school kids but in many schools in Africa girls are required to shave their heads or keep their hair braided, but many actually are able to grow long hair. Like the himba people in namibia they keep their hair very long.

• My hair shrinks to the point where I've concluded it's just not growing any further. After spending sometime under a blow drier I'm proven wrong.

• lol I remember my uncle once told me when I was little that black people's hair never get wet. He saw a kid that came out of the pool but his hair was completely dry.

• That’s not true. It gets wet just like your hair gets wet.

• You didn’t believe him did you? 😕

• I was like 4 or 5 years old. I had no real life experience to refute him, but I remember I wasn't really convinced. I certainly didn't repeat what he said to anyone.

• I actually heard the myth about not producing scalp oils at all. I thought it was true until told otherwise by somebody else. Thanks for your take!

• I it's sad there's so much hate we get off our hair. Once I move out I am going to go natural and never go back to box braids ever again. I'm tired of hiding my hair because my parents don't like it. Why can't I be pretty and presentable without makeup or weave? sometimes I feel like I'll never find a guy who will find me beautiful without weave or makeup. I've grew up being told being overweight and wearing wigs is better than being fit and taking care of your natural hair. At least, this is what black women tell me.

• I sometimes really hate my parents. and they wonder why the majority of the jobs I take are so far away from home.

• They sound old fashioned.

• I’m just the type of person where basically no one can tell me anything about myself.

• Great mytake!

• Must be hard to be black

• Very nice 😘

• That long hair fact though! Holy Molly.

• Facts 👌

• Great take :)

• I need help detangling lol

• <3<3<3>

• Let's be honest... the people who didn't know this are in the minority. It's ridiculous to not know this. They're just young kids if they honestly didn't know.

• Hah, you would be surprised..

• @JDavid25 i can be surprised if there was plenty morons or if a few were grown ass people, but even so, they're till in the minority, thats just fact. We haven't all been degraded to that point.. yet.

• There's still a lot of people even some "Black" people who don't realize this.. I mean I remember when I thought somethin was common knowledge and found out there's people who actually don't know it.. I mean the natural hair of "Black" women (Natural hair movement) had just been brought to light not too long ago..

• Whaaat, do people really think this?

• Yes, they do.

• Lmao!
      I know some people who believe hair and nails grow from the tips...