Is chest hair a past thing of history now?

Back in the 60s/70s most of the men had lot of chest hair and didn't remove it at all.

Then came the mid nineties when guys started manscaping their chest, waxing and shaving it all off.

With time young men got naturally less and less chest hair , the only guys who still get lots of hair are men with some sort of hormonal imbalance.

Young men now are even waxing their legs, which was never touched by men before.

It seems men have evolved and lost most of the body hair especially the chest and stomach hair.

Slowly men are more smooth and groomed and women seem to like men more now than ever before. You rarely see a hairy chest and stomach on a guy at the beach or hair peeking out of a guys shirt at top.

Do you think chest and stomach hair is a thing of past history now?

42
36

Most Helpful Guys

• Jaximus-Lion
    I don't care... I LOVE IT. No woman is worth to shave my chest hair for nor my beard.
    It grows natural, it's good and cozy and has health benefits, the hormones are there for a reason and it's a thing you drunk order on wish or amazon and you wake up with the next day. Am born with it, it's already in my body and keeping it is just normal. I don't shave because shaving damages my skin, i do trim the beard only every 2 months , i never shave my nor trim my chest hair but i do wax my privates and that's it. The wife loves my body hair and you can can say ewwwww and groos all you want, i am not shaving it. Bring it and body shame me gillette people
    Is this still revelant?
    • nimmouser

Are you comfortable exposing it at the beach/pool around other women?
      Have you always got positive response from the girls you dated before marriage?

• Yes! I do go to the beach and show off my body hair, i got nothing to ashamed of. Nigative or positive response? I got mixed responses but still none of that stopped me from going to the beach. I don't use sunscreen, the hair protect my skin

• MusicMayhem
    I don't buy your idea that men grow less hair these days. It's just that more guys want to look good showing off their abs on Instagram for chicks attention. Waxing salons are much more prevalent nowadays most likely. Guys that I know of that are super hairy say they find it really annoying so get waxed every so often.

But most chicks find some hair the most attractive as opposed to completely shaven or unshaven. I'm mildly hairy and every chick I've dated will find a sneaky way to get her hand under my shirt to stroke my chest hairs without me realising lol.
    Is this still revelant?
    • nimmouser

Your super hairy guys don't wax it, then what do they prefer to do about it?

• nimmouser

What do you mean, your girlfriends while cuddling romantically put their hands in your shirt just to rub the hair?

• My point is you're going to see less naturally very hairy guys looking naturally very hairy because they will have it shaven regularly.

Not even cuddling man. I'll be on a date just sitting at a park bench or something with a chick and she'll have unbuttoned the top 2 or 3 buttons of my shirt and snuck her hand down my torso lol.

Most Helpful Girls

• AdrienneLaRussa
    Here's the thing: when I was a teen I used to like men who shave a looot, like those guys in the pictures, let's face it that was because I was childish. Now that I'm a woman I find chest hair (even other areas) very sexy and masculine, sometimes the preference is determined by the age, teenagers are usually attracted to the metrosexual type.
    Is this still revelant?
    • nimmouser

Now as a mature woman how hairy do you like it on men?

• Honestly for me the guy in the first picture 60s/70s style is really hot, that amount of hair is perfect, I even like hair on the arms and legs obviously, not saying shaved men are not attractive (for people who disliked my post lol) I'm just saying when I was younger (btw I'm 26 hope I'm still young lol) I used to find hair to be gross but when you grow up you find it sexy and very masculine, not saying hairless is ugly, I'm just explaining to people who think I was offensive...

• nimmouser

How about too much of hair as the guy 2?

• emmily2396
    None of the extremes are good in my book. If it starts to look like fur it is a bit too much. Some hair is nice, but skin should still be visible.
    Is this still revelant?
    • nimmouser

I agree 💯.
      In the pictures above picture what's your type?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

4034
  • coralee
    I like chest hair provided it doesn't feel like I'm touching a carpet. Like anything smooth chests are "fashionable" right now. I'm sure we will see chest hair come around again, eventually I mean who would have thought mom jeans would make a comeback?
    • nimmouser

How about hairs elsewhere on a man's body especially the legs and arms?
      And you can't say that chest hair would be liked again just the way clothing trends come back.
      Do you think women keeping their leg hair would ever come back? I doubt...
      Same is male chest and stomach hair

• coralee

I know very few men without leg or arm hair. Even men in the media aren't that hairless.

Yes I can, the only reason chest hair is out of style is that people in the media right now prefer a smooth look. In a few years we will have completely new people controlling the media who will prefer something different. And we have seen women with leg hair make a revival before so I wouldn't rule that out. The media made bad drawn on eyebrows fashionable so I wouldn't be so quick to judge their power.

• nimmouser

Do you like hairy chest and stomach , although trimmed, as compared to totally bare make body?

• Киттйлинк
    I find some hair far more attractive, masculine, and sexually appealing as oppose to no hair..

I don’t like Excessive hair and I don’t find it attractive if you shave it :/

If you naturally have no hair, that’s attractive but I find a little bit of hair more attractive and i prefer it because it makes me want them more sexually. Natural instinct I suppose.

No idea about other girls.
    • nimmouser

Thanks for your time and input :)
      But , what if a man is very hairy as in some of the pictures above? What should he do

• Hmm well... I don’t know... perhaps try trimming I suppose but maybe the girl you’re with actually likes it how it is and you won’t even have to do anything..

When you get involved with someone you both start learning what each one likes and dislikes and to a certain point, each have to modify some things to make the relationship better. I always think is stupid when people get soooo offended and think they should not make changes for their partner... but of course there’s always a limit... if they want you to look exactly like someone else then why are they with you type of thing... but little things here and there are reasonably understandable and anyone who wants the relationship to work should be willing to do certain changes... this being one of them, but if you don’t want to do that or you don’t like it, don’t do it and just find out what your partner likes and maybe they prefer you exactly how it is.

• stardust101
    No. I see lots of men with hairy chests. Both of my exes had hairy chests, it was sexy because they looked manly.
  • desperatelyhungry
    I think (hope) men being hairy will come back in trend. It's like fashion, stuff goes in and out of trend
    • nimmouser

Women having natural leg /armpit hair has never came back into fashion, what makes you think that men having hair all over would make a come back, given the fact that young men don't even grow much chest hair these days. Evolution!

• I just think it's two different things. We usually think of hairless as feminine and hairy as masculine. A lot of guys act more feminine nowadays for some reason but most women biologically want a more masculine man and a man that's got less hair than them isn't cutting it.

• nimmouser

In what way do you think men these days are more feminine?
      Does being short / skinny also make a guy feminine?

• Confusedmamma
    I definitely prefer the no hair look, I don’t like body hair personality
    • nimmouser

Do you like the no hair look on a man's legs as well?

• Personally yeah, my husband was a cop in the military he had the thigh holster so after years of wearing it the hair just didn’t grow back so he shaves his legs which is awesome for me cause I find body hair disgusting

• nimmouser

That's cool 👍

• It disgusts me. I orefer no body hair and omg i love the guys body with the towel. He has arms that are toned but not veiny and he has a flat tummy with no abs. he's my kinda guy
  • Absolutely love hair on men.. Especially if he's the arab type, the darker and courser the hair the better 😍 😍
    • nimmouser

Haven't Arab men adopted the trend of shaving/waxing and also naturally evolved to be smooth bodied?

• Ewwww they look discusting! I've seen and have told them off about it too 😂 😂 😂 😂 I wouldn't want my body touching any shaved skin!

• nimmouser

Are there waxing salons for men and men get their body waxed professionally or not?
      Also how do you feel about the guy in the second pic from the top?

• nightdrot
    Not if you ask my girlfriend. I have a rather hairy chest. One time, thinking it the fashion, I decided to surprise her by shaving my chest - as well as... er... other parts.

She was surprised all right. She hated it!!! She said it was like going out with a boy who had yet to experience puberty and it made her feel like a child molester.

Rebuke noted. I am since as natural as nature has made me. Good thing, too. That much shaving is a lot of work and frankly, I would have gotten tired of it sooner or later.

To be sure, every guy is a bit different. Some are naturally bare chested, some a little, some in the middle, some are like me and some are just half a step away from our gorilla ancestors.

However, it shows just how comfortable and wealthy a society we are when we have the time to have men shave that which nature left just fine as it. In any case, it is weird.

At the very moment when chest hair is on the outs, guys no longer seem able to find the time to shave their faces. How does THAT work?

(Truth in advertising, I split the facial difference. From April to October, I am clean shaven. However, I hate cold weather and so from starting about now until next spring I grow beard - though I keep it good looking and not like the slob look that seems to be so popular at the moment.)

Anyhow, fashions pass - and this will too. Sooner or later, gals will decide that they want men and not boys. Guys will decide that when they don't like shaving their faces that taking the time to shave their chests - and sometimes armpits, legs, and, ahem, other junk - makes precious little sense. Then we will be back to the good old days where body hair is concerned.

At least that can be undone. That current passion for tattoos. It will be a lot harder to reverse that mess. Once that is bell is rung... Well, let's just say that it is not easy to un-ring the bell.

• Harmseygrace
    Hair is much better. Shaving their chest is bad enough, but their legs and arms? That's a tad bit girly honestly.
    • nimmouser

Hair is much better even if it's like that in the second picture?

• Yeah that's completely fine.

• nimmouser

Just shave down there , leave rest?

• Bensbrie
    Chest hair isn't bad at all, but my husband is hairless there because of a genetic inheritance on his mothers side.
    • nimmouser

Too much of chest and stomach hair alongwith shoulder hair is bad?

• Bensbrie

Chest and stomach hair would be fine! But back hair is a bit much if it is extremly thick!

• nimmouser

This type?

• Paulaanderson
    Give me chest hair. Ones waxing shaving just look yuk
    • nimmouser

Have you developed liking for chest hair with age or you preferred it even as a teen?

• nimmouser

Would you like those in the second picture above or even this type?

• Chest hair is not my cup of tea. If I wanted to lay on carpet I’d just lay on the floor. Personally I find body hair gross for everybody men & women. I know it’s natural, but nature can be kinda gross. I don’t mind people who choose no to shave or anything like that. That’s their body and their choice. But I’d prefer to date a guy who isn’t covered in chest hair. I shave my body like every other day. I don’t mind the areas where the hair is sparse like the legs and arms, but I shave my pits and pubes often.
    • nimmouser

I agree 💯. Can you accept a man who is otherwise very much hairy chest and stomach r f but shaves them ALL off? Would you want him to shave whole body daily?

• I could accept it, and he wouldn’t have to shave daily. Just enough maintenance to keep it from becoming a jungle.

• nimmouser

Oh okay. It means you won't even expect him to shave it bare? He can use a trimmer to closely trim his whole body once a week and that is totally accepted?
      But what about the prickly stubble on the body?

• allele1127
    It all comes down to personal preference, and I guess my personal preference is no chest or stomach hair, like in the last two pictures. I've never understood what's so appealing about them. I don't care for facial hair either, but plenty of people do, so I don't think that's ever gone out of style.
  • Gottabsavagee
    My dad doesn’t have chest hair at all and he’s not shaving.

It depends on genes.
  • SydneySentinel
    I love a bit of chest hair on a man. It is sexy as hell.
  • roxy_362
    If it is, I would lament it. I love chest hair on men. ;-)
    • nimmouser

Aww wow. Do you still get to see men with hairy chest and stomach?

• nimmouser

How much is too much for you, how about this

• Laurii93
    I like men most without body hair.
    Well, chest is okay I think and the legs, that's all..
    • nimmouser

The last line confused me

• Laurii93

Why?

• nimmouser

What do you mean by

• bytes
    I think it’s a more European thing! But yeah hair is better as less is more! I don’t mind a teeny bit of hair but too much is like dating a furry animal ! Some people love a hairy man but I don’t
    • nimmouser

Out of the picture above what would you like on those?

• bytes

2nd last if it was half as much hair but at least it’s evenly spread! and the last one! I really don’t like thick lines of hair ! I would want that gone

• nimmouser

You are okay with chest hair peeking out?

• Screenwriter
    This is silly. Just because men are shaving their hair off doesn't mean they've genetically evolved to NOT have hair. No matter what men or women do to remove body hair, their offspring will still have it. As long as men and women keep their bodies and therefore their body hair clean, hair isn't really an issue. I suppose weight lifters have to bald themselves to show off their muscles, but body hair holds in a man's natural pheromones. If a man smells nice, that's a perk. Hair also protects against friction in the genital region. It also signals sexual maturity in both sexes.
    • nimmouser

Women don't really grow coarse hair anywhere except for the private parts and armpits. Men , in general, especially younger generation men don't really grow coarse thick chest and stomach hair ( exceptions are always there of men with hormonal issues). Earlier most men grew thick chest hair ( again exceptions were there).
      I feel nature has finally realized that men don't need thick coarse Chest and stomach hair anymore, as it's useless and only sexually repulsive and nature wants men to be sexually attractive to women, not repulsive

• The only reason men aren't growing coarse body hair is because they're removing it. If they didn't remove it, it would grow just as it has for millions of years. And it is useful, as stated. It prevents chafing of genitals. It's only sexually repulsive because that's what's in fashion. It hasn't been genetically eliminated. Men are attractive with body hair and without. You have a narrow view of what's acceptable and sexually attractive. I've seen both. Either is fine. This no body hair trend started in the late 1990s. People still have the same body hair. They're just trimming, shaving or lasering it off. It's useless and sexually repulsive to YOU. Not to everybody.

• nimmouser

Okay, if it is not sexually repulsive/useless why are men removing their body hair especially the chest hair? Men without hair are seen as more youthful, more charming sexually attractive and desireable to women, that's a fact now.
      And do you seriously feel all men are shaving/lasering off their body hair or else they would be having thick coarse visible hairs all over their chest and stomach? I guess not. Most of the younger men are having very very little hair around the nipples, mid of the chest ad belly button that's it. I was talking about thick sense chest and stomach hair as in some of the pictures above , not some strand of hairs.

• StephenCF
    It’s a dead thing for me. I personally always shave mine because it would look wrong with a slim body
    • nimmouser

That's what I said. It's a past thing now. How often do you shave and how long have you been doing so?

• StephenCF

@nimmouser Did it for the first time 6 years ago when it was patchy, but irregularly. Since 2017, I’ve been shaving it every few weeks

• markscott
    I just checked, and my chest hair is still there. So it's not a thing of the past.
    • nimmouser

I was talking about some reasonable amount of thick chest hair, not some strands of hairs.

• markscott

nim: I definitely have more than a few strands of hair. I was speaking tongue in cheek, when I said I would look to see if I had some chest hair.

• nimmouser

How hairy are you, anything as comparable to the pictures avove?

• sagevvalentine
    I think it depends how much. But I definitely think some hair is nice. And I think that leg hair definitely stays.
    • nimmouser

If it's lots of hairs as the second guy above?
      And how much leg hair?

• I don't know I prefer a masculine look. As long as he doesn't look like a bear I suppose.

• nimmouser

Such legs?

• tara987
    Some hair can be nice. I know I'm supposed to like a shaved body but I don't.
    • nimmouser

Why are you " supposed" to like smooth shaved men?

• tara987

Seems a little feminine to me.

• nimmouser

No no , I mean why did you say you are supposed to like smooth men...

• front2back
    I have chest/back hair like a gorilla. I trim it off to reduce BO/Sweat, no other reason.
    • nimmouser

How often do you trim and do you trim it close or light trim only?
      Have women seen yoir hairiness?

• front2back

I trim about once a month, maybe more, maybe less. It's probably a "1" setting trim.
      My ex liked the hair more.

• nimmouser

Have you ever felt insecure especially around women?

• Hell I'm so hairy that my back and chest look the same. So you can't tell if I'm coming or going. When my shirt is off.
    • nimmouser

Ever felt embarrassed and insecure?

• No why I like it

• nimmouser

Do your ladies like it as well?
      You shave anything apart from pubes?

• StrawberryQueen1998
    Body hair isn't a problem just make sure you manscape.
    • nimmouser

Manscape means trimming it close?
      This is nice result of manscaping?

b907-4f9b-99e7-a37430c7da2a. jpg

• I mean like your crotch it's kinda gross when everything is hairy 🤮

• AtropaBelladonna
    Ok so some hair is fine, but the second picture is gross. I don't want to feel like I'm committing an act of bestiality.
    • nimmouser

An act of beastiality. Hahaha great one!!!
      Good example 👌

• nimmouser

Do you like when men have smooth legs?

• MrHopper
    :( makes me sad when a girl asks me to shave my chest... and no i won't... my back! sure!! :D
  • I don't think so, remember that some fashion from childhood are coming back to the present day. Today could be an example, but what hasn't changed much is personal preference. Some people like someone in one way while some like another. That applies here too, some women prefer with hair (uncut), others with little hair (grommed) and others with no hair at all.
  • _SOARER_
    Its all about body exposure.
    Women never shaved their armpits until the 20th century. before then they were usually covered, no one saw their body hairs until women gradually began exposing themselves.

Same goes for men, Men used to cover themselves, no one but their wives saw them shirtless or naked.

In the distant past, ancient times, Body hair=Virility. It was desirable and masculine.

Chest hair will always exist, but, they might not be attractive for a few generations.
    • nimmouser

Men won't be loosing body hair soon in near future?

• _SOARER_

Nope, not near future.
      It depends on your race tbh.
      I am a mix of Mediterranean, So I am hairy

• bamesjond0069
    I have a hairy chest and most girls come up and touch it like at the beach or something. I really dont believe this women prefer men with no hair thing...
    • nimmouser

Wow seriously dude? Girls actually come up to you at the beach to touch it? Yeah?
      How hairy are you , some strands of hair , or light dusting of hsir here and there or some nice thick hair?

• Hairier than most but not the hairiest for sure

• nimmouser

Anything as hairy as some of the pictures Posted above?

• Edanurus
    "looks at chest" Haha nope definitely not a thing of the past.

Also that's not how evolution works.
    • nimmouser

How much do you have? Ever felt embarrassing?

• Edanurus

Probably a bit less than the guy in the black shirt and no, I'm not really sure what there is to be embarrassed about.

• nimmouser

If you had as much as the second guy?

• Nadim171
    Not really, maybe in the west. But In the east almost nobody shaves unless they're bodybuilders. Honestly it feels gay
    • nimmouser

Even though the men don't shave do they have thick visible chest hair?
      And who feels it's gay to shave chst, the guys or even the women?

• Nadim171

Mostly both, but yeah people in the east are usually hairy.

• TyPilot
    This must be why my Chest is so naked... No hair is growing there! (And I'm glad, too...)
    • nimmouser

If you are glad that your chest is so bare... why should it be a question that why your chest is so bare!! Lol

• I see a lot of guys with it still, usually guys with darker hair. Im a blonde, so im not too hairy. I dont grow anything on my chest. Even if I did, id shave it. I hate body hair.
  • bolverk
    The bald body look is not a general thing in the UK unless you're into the body building scene or one of the Metros in the South East of England around London & the Home Counties where they are "fashionable" everywhere else its as god designed.
  • Texaskid1
    No.

Shaving your chest is time consuming as hell. In my life time I have shaved my chest twice. More out of curiosity to get a feel for it. Each time it was a true time suck. I don't have the time for that.

Also it feels weird.
    • nimmouser

The first question I would ask you is how hairy is your chest if left untouched?

• Texaskid1

Super duper hairy.

• nimmouser

Doesn't it feel uncomfortable to be super hairy especially in summer days and insecure around women?

• MonicaTessler
    Wow yeahh
    But its not just about removing the hair, some people just dont grow as much body hair as before. Might it be a genetic modification as the time has passed...
    Very interesting question by the way
    • nimmouser

That's what I said... most men have evolved to not grow hair anyway

• Yeah I didn't read through the whole thing sorry😅

• In 70s/80/90s no european woman has shaved herself. 100 years ago no American woman shaved. I can ask that to men too. Actually many men from 80s generation in european countries still dont like shaved women. If a man wants me to shave, i would want the same shit
    • nimmouser

You mean if I have to shave then I would make you shave as well... that's tit for tat theory and that's okay.
      But apart from that, in general as a woman how do you prefer men and like /want them especially on legs and chest?

• I actually dont give a fuck. I would like him natural and accept him how he is. Although excessive hair looks disgusting to me

• nimmouser

This type is better than monkey hairy?

• COMMODOREII
    Some women like it. Maybe reminds them of a teddy bear or something.
    • nimmouser

But most men don't grow it anymore and some who do are shy about it and keep it shaven.

• I like to be clean myself. 😎

• R_ūshī
    I don't like chest hair. Always found it gross but there are women who like them.

It's not really a thing of the past since it's appreciated, if not fetishized by some.
    • nimmouser

It's appreciated by some women?

• R_ūshī

Yep... mainly by middle aged women tho

• nimmouser

Do you prefer shaved smooth legs as well on men instead of lots of hair?

• Thatsamazing
    "With time young men got naturally less and less chest hair , the only guys who still get lots of hair are men with some sort of hormonal imbalance." Um... this is not even remotely true.
    • nimmouser

How many Young men have you seen who have lots of hairs all over the chest/stomach?

• Plenty, if we're at the beach or whatever. And it depends what you mean by "young."

Additionally, the reason what you said ^ in that quote right there is wrong is because it's suggesting that shaving your hair makes your hair go away, like permanently. Which is not true at all.

• Browneye57
    Only if you're gay. Or an athlete that does it for competition.
    Real men have hair, and real women love them for it. Don't be a girlie-man.
    • nimmouser

Many straight non athletic men do remove body hair... it's called manscaping

• Browneye57

That's different than shaving your body son. Don't be a girlie-man.

• nerms123
    This doesn’t really matter to me. It’s his body so up to him
  • Teahappy
    Chest hair is not bad on South Asian men, however on any other: it doesn't look good especially black men it looks awful.
    • nimmouser

Do South Asian men grow chest hair?

• Teahappy

@nimmouser they're very hairy men. I would think so

• nimmouser

You said chest hair isn't as bad on South Asian men...
      But later on you say they are very hairy...
      So... I am confused.
      They are very hairy but still doesn't looks bad , is that you meant?

• roflgun
    I don’t like chest hair - unless it’s super light, just shave it off.
  • UglyestGuyEver
    i got a little chest hair and im only 22... im never shaving that shit, i ain't no faggot,
    chest hair is masculine
    • i embrace my gender, only faggot femboys are afraid to look manly

• nimmouser

Would you still say it's masculine if some guy is as hairy as guy in second picture above.. and if you were such you won't shave /trmi it as well?

• nimmouser

This?

• unluckyplant710
    Have never ok not my life done anything with my chest hair. There's really not much there would be a bit ridiculous to trim.
    • nimmouser

You haven't done anything about it because you don't have much chest hair to begin with?

• Lovemuff24
    Every guy doesn't shave so I don't see how it would be a thing of the past. Nice pictures by the way.
    • nimmouser

Nice pics? Seriously?
      Even the second pic 😋🤣 ?

• nimmouser

As I said men naturally have lost hairs.

• Lovemuff24

I wasn't talking about all of the pics nos. 5 and 7. So I guess you have a point, maybe hair is a thing of the past.

• I prefer the hairy look over fully shaved 😊
    • nimmouser

Understood that
      How about the natural hairy look as in the second picture above?

• still better than shaved to me