I consider myself to be among the most atypical Asian Americans of all time. I compared myself to most Asian Americans and here is what I noticed:
1. Grades. Asian Americans tend to have higher GPAs than most of the kids, like around 3.9-4.0. My GPA was only a 3.76 in high school and a 3.32 in college.
2. Love of school. Most Asian American haves a love of school and education. Me, I HATED school. I could not stand the bullying and the racist attitudes of the students. And it was also the teachers and professors that would pick on me for missing problems of what they deemed to be easy. I only graduated university out of necessity rather than enjoying the learning experience.
3. Music. Most Asian Americans listen to pop music, alternative/indie rock, or even hip hop and R&B. I love heavy metal. Some of my favorite artists include Black Sabbath, Soulfly, Children of Bodom, Death Angel, Iced Earth, Sabaton, etc. And I also love electro industrial bands like Skinny Puppy, Combichrist, Hocico, Suicide Commando, Front Line Assembly, etc.
4. Confirming. Most Asian Americans tend to be conformist. I have a bit of a rebellious, angry streak in me and I dress like a goth at times. I hate the mainstream so much that I feel more comfort in the non-conformist things.
5. Height. Most Asian American men tend to be shorter. I stand 6'2" tall and when I'm around other Asian Americans, I am usually the tallest.
6. Romantic preference. Most Asian American men prefer Asian women. I prefer Caucasian women. Partly because I find them physically attractive, but also due to my ever-rising obsession with European culture (I attempted to learn the German language in college).
What do you think?
Most Helpful Guy
Yes, you are Non-stereotypical. And that's good. I HATE people who let stereotypes define them. More power to you, brother!2