Different nail color only on ring fingers?

I have a thing for nails and nail polish on girls. I've noticed that a lot of girls have been painting the nail on their ring fingers different than the other fingers.
What's up with that? I think it looks weird.
I read that some girls think it's good luck or a sign that they are single.

241

Most Helpful Girl

• It's called an accent nail, if you are really observant you'll notice it's usually the ring finger and instead of decorating it with a ring they'll decorate it with some extra glamour. No superstition or secret code involved.

What Girls Said 23

• I just like the pattern break. I will do tips of a solid color and then one nail with a pattern. I just like the look. Do the same on my toes.

• It's the accent nail - she can try out a different design or stencils on the nail to either match the rest of the manicure or to see how it looks without having to do the whole hand.

Has nothing to do with her relationship status, lol.

• All i know is that its a sign of support for one of the support foundations. I can't remember if it was one of the cancer foundations or one of the sexual/domestic abuse ones.

• Don't read so much into it. It just means it's an accent nail and the ring finger gives an a-symetrical look that tends to give just a hint of balance.

• Lol that last part is false, we do it because its a style nothing more.

• My little sister is married, wears her wedding band and paints her ring fingers a different color. She did even when she was a kid. I don't know that it signifies anything more than a desire to be different.

• It's called an accent nail, the ring finger just is typically the one people choose. Not sure why but accent nails tend to look weird elsewhere.

• Ikr?

Whenever I see that, I have the urge to remove the different color on the ring finger and put the matching one instead.

But it is supposed to look better/ stylish

• I'll do that occasionally because I think I'm being creative, and it looks nice😂 There isn't any hidden meaning in that, for me anyway.

• Its a trend

• I noticed it too and started doing it. I thought it was a fashion thing. I'm single but if I was taken I'd still do it

• Hahah this has been going on for a really long time. But yeah just a fashion trend to get people to buy more nail polish.

• Right now mine r all one color... sometimes my hands are different colors... sometimes different fingers r. Its all according to my mood

• It's stylish

• i think it's just the design

• I just do it if the colors match well and I usually do it on my pointer finger

• it's just a trend.

• I never thought it went that deep lol, I thought it was just an accent color

• I just like the design on my finger

• It's just for fun.

• It's the first time I've ever heard of that. That is not a thing here yet.

• I've done it before just because I thought it looked cute 😂☺️

• It's just a weird new trend. It's suppose to make the set of nails look more appealing and less plain.

What Guys Said 1

• "Here we see the female in her natural enviroment, notice how she paints the 'ring finger' a different colour. This is to help attract potential mates out in the wild!"