Girls, what is the primary motivation for women to spend so much money and effort to beautify themselves?

Do you agree with the points in this article?:

Why Beauty Is Important for Women

• To get sexual attention
    11% (19)
  • To boost my self-esteem
    49% (82)
  • To gain respect from others
    11% (19)
  • To express myself
    21% (35)
  • To achieve true happiness
    8% (12)
Select a gender to cast your vote:
Guys can not vote on this poll
I'm a Girl

Most Helpful Girl

• Ultimately, for me, it's to gain respect. Most people judge based on appearance and the more attractive you are, the more positive attention you gain or less attention. For example, my face is very sensitive and gets red, not acne, but just flat out red in the winter because of the cold burn. I wear foundation to conceal the redness. One day, I left the house late & didn't realize I forgot to put on foundation until people started staring at me on the bus and train. I quickly ran to the nearest drug store, bought some makeup, applied it, and all the stares ceased. That's why I spend a lot of money on beautification. 'Image is everything' is truly in effect.

What Girls Said 29

• I don't use any cosmetics including creams, lotions, make-up. If I want to I use natural essential oils, or argan, coconut oil.

I do put effort into my looks, I eat healthy, I exercise, I drink water, I don't wear things on my body that I wouldn't eat - our skin absorbs the chemicals into the blood stream.

I try to groom myself, detangle my hair with wooden combs, in a effort to express myself.

I want to express to women and men you don't need make-up or heck even shampoo or creams to look good. You can wake up beautiful. :-) I hope one day people also feel the same way. :-*

• I don't spend that much to beautify myself. I don't wear make up often, I don't go to the hairdressers to get my hair done, I don't go to nail salons. The most I've spent on make up is about £10, I do my own hair at home which costs about £5 and I only wear nail varnish which doesn't cost a lot anyway. I don't know why women spend so much on beauty products

• Probably self esteem I would say if I had to pick one. I of course want to express myself, but I also like to look good, and how do we know that we look good? The attention that you get. What does looking good do? Boost your self esteem. Who doesn't like to know that look good and who doesn't enjoy knowing that other people notice too.

• I do not wear makeup lol because Im too lazy! It either be minimum or not at all! But i do think its because the girl feels more empowered for herself because her confidence goes up!

• The more beauty you have, the more status you have in society. That's how it is. People will treat you better. You'll attract a lot of envy too so it's a double-edged sword, be careful.

• Girls who put no effort into looking "pretty" get treated like shit from both other girls and guys

• I definitely see that!

• It sucks, sometimes you feel you need a whole new wardrobe just to fit in to what other people are wearing.

• I guess it's self esstem why other woman put that much time in... I wouldn't know, Tuesday was the first time in 2 weeks I'd brushed my hair properly

• Because it's fun to get your nails done all glittery and pretty, cause it's fun to play with makeup, cause it's nice to do your hair like a celeb, cause you like wearing cool clothes. It ain't for anybody so it shouldn't bother anybody.

• Tbh I just don't feel as good without it. I feel like I'm a mess and my face looks like a child's, I already look twelve so.. Sure there's expression in it too for me, but yeah, makes me feel good.

• To feel attractive and be attractive and to take care of ourselves

• Mainly because they are competing with other women, I do it cause I'm a sexy motherfucker and I must stay that way for me.

• I spend absolutely nothing on makeup but I could fork out 50 dollars for hair products or a face mask or something... least keep me looking 16 okay.

• I only line my eyes lol but it's to not scare anyone

• its for my self not trying to impress someone, you have to take care of your self.

• I would imagine to feel better about ones self is high on the list but I'm not much of a makeup girl. shoes and clothes are my expensive feel good vices.

• I dont do much to make myself pretty. So I don't know. The few times I did was because my bffs really wanted to give me makeovers or my exes were tired of me being so slovenly and bummy

• Boost self-esteem because they feel the need to impress others and get good attention

• i appreciate natural

• Not all women are like that

• All of the above

• I actually don't spend that much myself.

• to me its a mixture of happiness and self esteem. i am at my happiest when im all dolled up.

• you mean you dont put it any effort to make yourself feel attractive?

• i dont wear make up but i like being in shape bc it makes me feel peaceful. like everything is where it should be and no matter how shitty things are i always have a home to go to.. my body.

• To look good for herself, obviously. If she wanted to look sexy and all that, no clothes will suffice

• I put to express myself but it's probably more to boost self esteem so that I like whop I am looking at in the mirror. I personally don't wear makeup, get my nails done, straighten or curl my hair, or anything like that but it's why I use a moisturizer, chap stick and throw my hair up. Nothing wrong with taking pride in what you have and taking care of it.

• None! I like my natural beauty. I love myself exactly how I am.

• To gain respect from others, people are very rude to women who aren't pretty and feminine so

• i think to get attention