Do men dictate beauty standards for women? Why or why not?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, most guys just like a girl or they don't and they have personal preferences that are different for every guy. Guys don't care about beauty trends or standards. I think it's mostly the media that wants something to write about and women who are always interested in fashion and beauty stuff.

And women buy into it and that makes it real. If women wouldn't buy into this stuff then nobody would care and it would just be some magazine articles that nobody cared about. But because people buy into it it becomes true.

1|0
    0|0
    • But guys decide what girls are hot and which aren't.

• Show All
    • I don't need a psychologist to know that I'm not attractive.

• https://imgur.com/a/pHOGJ
      I'm too skinny.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd argue that women dictate beauty standards. You think men came up with instagram makeup, lips that look like buttholes, and butts the size of planets when they themselves say they find that style over-the-top? Or in the past when being stick thin and having a thigh gap was trending when many men admitted they prefer a little more curve? It's mostly women that create these beauty standards for other women.

2|2
    0|0
    • That's true, though I think when it comes to clothing some women wear what men like so that side of things is dictated by men.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• I wouldn't say dictate, but women are too nice to their friends so that one ugly girl in a friend group of 8s and 9s the girls will pity the ugly girl and constantly tell her she's pretty and so beautiful. So yeah unless we're talking about lesbians it's the men that have the final call in beauty.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think women dictate what beauty standards are, men dictate what attractiveness standards are because women know what looks pretty but not whats attractive to us specifically if that makes sense

1|1
    0|0
  • No. We should, but we don't, because women nowadays believe a magazine more than they believe men.
    Most men like small boobs, but yet you hear lots and lots of women saying that we don't (what? :/ ).

0|0
    0|0
    • Men like small boobs? That's new.

• Show All
    • I'd never guess it was true. Guys always say they prefer bigger boobs.

• But they still go for skinny girls, and you don't often find skinny girls with big boobs. Some guys prefer big boobs, but preferring big boobs, doesn't mean they don't like small ones.

• What do you mean when you ask whether men "dictate" beauty standards for women?

0|0
    0|0
    • Men determine who are the most beautiful women in the world.

• I don't think women blindly follow every request from guys relating to exhibiting their female beauty, so guys don't "dictate" any standards. Women generally want to be pleasing to men so of course they give considerable deference to guy's standards. The observe of that is also true. Women decide what they want to see in men and guys try to match those goals.

• Men are the judge of what's attractiveness only in thier own preference. Women dictate thier own approach to beauty from one another to themselves. Media and influences from glamour to lesbian look dictate mediums to reflect by.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men decide who they will spend their resources on, women decide who they will procreate with, the rub is when the male desire to have sex (by extension procreate) exceeds a woman's desire to procreate. Think of men whom are unattractive and are relatively short in the resource department... sure they can judge whether a woman is attractive but their opinions are irrelevant to a woman who doesn't find value in him. The flip side are the women who threw themselves at Donald Trump when he was in his prime... he could literally 'grab em by the pussy' because his resources FAR outweighed ANY sort of physical beauty 98% of the population could ever attain, putty in his hands. No surprise he married a supermodel... like DUH he married a supermodel.

I'll keep my comments about the black vs white female method in regards to whom they decide to have children with to myself ;)

1|0
    0|0
  • Women and Gay men do, from a "societal perspective"

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say beauty is defined by both sexes for both sexes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course they do. If a style or trend is not attractive to men it never gets off the ground.

0|0
    0|0
  • No we dont. Instagram bitches smearing all that stuff on their face do.

1|0
    0|0
  • because women also dictate the beauty standards for men

0|0
    0|0
  • The media does. And the media is unisex.

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • I think so, yes

0|0
    0|0
  • Sort of. Men won't pursue women they find ugly.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really. They've done tests where they showed sets of photos and had both guys and girls pick who they thought was the ideal. Men and women would choose differently. Most women chose the VS looking girl but most guys didn't.

Same with guys. Most guys chose the super ripped looking guy thinking that's what's most physically attractive but most girls chose a guy who was fit but didn't have bulging muscles.

0|0
    0|0
  • i just don't give a fuck about women anymore

0|0
    0|0
    • That makes two of us.

• Show All
    • @Teenagekid16 Lol, of course it is, I don't see why it wouldn't be - when you find the one, no point in waiting. Admittedly, it's less common these days. But most definitely possible.

• #Teenagekid16 I agree, just use women for what you want.

• Not at all

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Hell no. Women dictate beauty standards for each other and so does the media.
    If you ever talk to a man about beauty (make up etc), theyll tell you they dont give a fuck about it lmao. Men would prefer women to be natural. Most men dislike makeup!

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly Instagram chicks dictate beauty standards to me more than anything else lol!

0|2
    0|0
  • I dictate my own standards for myself

0|2
    0|0
  • To some extent, yes.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes