Do men dictate beauty standards for women? Why or why not?

519

Most Helpful Guy

• No, most guys just like a girl or they don't and they have personal preferences that are different for every guy. Guys don't care about beauty trends or standards. I think it's mostly the media that wants something to write about and women who are always interested in fashion and beauty stuff.

And women buy into it and that makes it real. If women wouldn't buy into this stuff then nobody would care and it would just be some magazine articles that nobody cared about. But because people buy into it it becomes true.

• But guys decide what girls are hot and which aren't.

• I don't need a psychologist to know that I'm not attractive.

• https://imgur.com/a/pHOGJ
      I'm too skinny.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd argue that women dictate beauty standards. You think men came up with instagram makeup, lips that look like buttholes, and butts the size of planets when they themselves say they find that style over-the-top? Or in the past when being stick thin and having a thigh gap was trending when many men admitted they prefer a little more curve? It's mostly women that create these beauty standards for other women.

• That's true, though I think when it comes to clothing some women wear what men like so that side of things is dictated by men.