If you're completely against plastic surgery please explain why?

I've always been a little confused about why so many people are against plastic surgery. There are so many other ways that we change our appearance, such as getting braces, dying hair etc., and I just don't see why so many people are against plastic surgery but not other cosmetic changes. In my opinion, if someone has an insecurity that they want to and can afford to safely change, there shouldn't be a problem or debate.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Apart from the fact that anything artificial becomes a part of your body leads to side effects, its better to avoid surgery for cosmetic reasons. One should learn to be confident the way they are and not get compliments because you underwent a surgery.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If plastic surgery is being used for medical reasons or birth defects I'm fine with it. Or even reconstructing breasts for people after mastectomies is fine with me. But when we get into people wanting surgery so they don't look like their mother anymore or because they want to be a human doll, we have problems.

Those people need *therapy*. They are ill. No amount of nipping and tucking Is going to fix their problems. So saying anyone should get whatever they want can be a dangerous hill to stand on.

1|0
    0|0
    • So someone needs therapy because they were born with a huge nose that doesn't flatter their face that they would like to change? Can't see how that's any different than someone being born with crooked teeth getting braces, or someone with frizzy hair straightening it

• Show All
    • Not necessarily, many people get braces purely for aesthetic reasons.

• Having misaligned teeth affects your bite which causes TMJ and ETD. That's not cosmetic.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• I want my lady to be herself. I don't want her to change anything. I'm not that bothered what she looks like, so when this lady comes along, I'll take her as she is. Natural!

0|0
    0|0
    • Most times, an insecurity comes from the personality. Have some unimportant issue corrected by cosmetic surgery will sometimes just shift the insecurity somewhere else. Look how many celebrities have op after op after op. They end up looking terrible!

• Just don't like it. Ewww

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm against me paying for it, otherwise it's fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • im not against it , i dont need it

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not against I just think it's stupid and unnecessary.
    So many better ways to improve yourself and be happy in my opinion.
    Also people often look worse after. Plasticky, etc.

0|1
    1|0

What Girls Said 5

• Plastic surgery is a medical procedure, it shouldn't be taken lightly but it usually is. There is a higher risk of complication in comparison to braces. Also, braces are done for medical reasons, the aesthetic of straight teeth is a nice side effect, but there are medical reasons why doctors recommend it. No doctor will recommend someone with a large nose to get plastic surgery unless you go to a plastic surgeon and say, I dislike my nose what can I do. Even then, there are plastic surgeons strongly recommend their patients to consider confidence classes prior to surgery because at the end of the day it is surgery, with all of the complications that could arise from a serious medical procedure. It is not something that should ever be taken lightly. Dying hair, straightening hair, these are things that are easily reversible there is no risk of infection (or dying from a complication), worst case scenario your hair was dyed a different shade from what you wanted. The problem is, as a society we view plastic surgery without the respect it deserved, you say "safely change" but it's not safe, so why risk your health for purely aesthetic reasons. Even after assessing a patient to be physically fit for plastic surgery, 27.6% of women who have breast implant surgery have complication, according to the University of Michigan Medical School. You can look up the rates for other surgeries but the message I am trying to convey is, it is surgery and accompanies with it all the risks of a surgery. It should be treated with the respect of a full surgery and not just, 'oh I'm going to get a little nip and tuck before luncheon'. The problem is less so about is it okay to have plastic surgery, this is a free country do as you'd like so long as you don't harm others, the problem is with the way it is perceived, people do not speak of it as though it is a major surgical procedure, they assume that it is "safe" they neglect to consider the complications that could arise.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am not completely against it. I just consider it a waste of money.
    That's all.
    If a person really hates something about themselves and they can afford plastic surgery, it's totally their own choice and I have no say in that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't ever get plastic surgery just makes u look fake I don't like anything fake like hair eyelashes nails tan. hate all that just be real and grow like everyone else. But I'm not against it

0|1
    0|0
  • I am fine with plastic surgery, I even want that but I don't think it's ok to abuse it (if you look at Jocelyn Wildenstein and little Kim)

0|0
    0|0
  • I think plastic surgery is just fine an everyone has their own opinion but it's ur choice.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes