Why are people so interested in touching black hair? And for non-blacks, what did it feel like for the first time touching it?

This question is mainly focused on natural hair, but even when mine was relaxed, people always wanted to touch it, from my closest friends (who I didn't mind) to this guy who I hated (which I fid mind, very much).
I like my hair, but have been used to black hair, and wonder why people want to touch it so much.

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think maybe it's because it's so different than our hair (I'd think maybe you'd find it happening less with people who are non-black but who also have naturally really curly hair?).
    I'm Caucasian with naturally blonde, wavy hair and when I went to Haiti all the children wanted to touch my hair because it's something they never really got to see, it was something new and exciting.
    New things are fascinating, including hair texture and whatnot. The texture is often more coarse, and just curls in general are a fun idea for people who don't have it (in my opinion). Not sure if this really answered your question or not, but it was interesting to think about :)

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• The people who do this look at black people as inferior to them if you think about it. Have you noticed they have the same reactions when they pet zoo animals? It's ridiculous, almost as if black hair is like a hamster's fur.

The answer is simple: Because it's the same as petting a domesticated monkey.

2|0
    1|0
  • to be honest i dont even know why. i am the only ethnic fuy during the year at my job and a few of my coworkers love touching my hair. they always tell me how fuzz. soft it is. im just like its hair get over it

2|0
    0|0
  • It's probably because it's different I'm Mexican with obnoxiously thick hair and a lot of my friends mess with it when I allow them too. I hope they at least ask you before they touch you, because that's just rude.

0|0
    0|0
  • I only did it once by accident and nearly got murdered by her, like damn it isn't like I cursed your mother's name.

And it's funny because my mixed friend says black girls constantly try to touch her hair since it's "good".

0|0
    0|0
  • no clue. but if i had a dollar for every time someone asked to touch my hair i'd probably have enough money to eat out a great steak restaurant

1|0
    0|0
  • Not sure, I think its just a white people thing to touch the hair of other ethnicity. For example I'm Asian when my hair is short people are constantly touching it because "It feels cool"...

1|0
    0|0
  • I just find it interesting because it's very different than my hair but I don't go around asking black people if I can touch their hair

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe because black people have different hair texture than white people so they are just curious about what it feels like

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never touched it or been interested in touching a black person's hair. So I don't really understand what you're talking about.

0|0
    0|0
  • you know in some countries where the majority are black they seem fascinated with blonde hair

0|0
    0|0
  • It feels awesome

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• I would never just reach out and touch someone's hair, but I have asked a couple girls I worked with and was close to. The texture is amazing. Felt way softer than I thought it was going to. One lady had natural hair and the other had relaxed hair. Each felt different. I liked the feel of the natural hair better.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a black girl with naturally really soft really defined and sleek ringlets. I always detangle and stretch my hair so my curl pattern is even more lose. The irony is that I've never had a white person grab my hair. Only black people have taken that liberty with me, and they're typically rough about it too. Then, while they have their hands dug into my scalp they'll compliment how soft it is and ask me what perm or relaxer I used, this has happened w/family, friends and strangers alike.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh and once this lady I barely knew walked behind the chair I was sitting in and tried to quickly sneak a feel of my hair, she wound up slapping the to of my head so hard that my ears rung. She was a friend of a friend and in her mid to upper 20's I was completely shocked. by the way, she was black too. I'm not saying white people don't do this but I've never experienced them doing it.

• *the top of

• Honestly I have a black friend and she has an afro and I love just 'bouncing' my hands on her hair (she's a close friend and doesn't mind)

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it's different from what they are used to and what they would touch on their own heads. It's just simple curiosity

0|0
    0|0
  • It's because it's different. People find different things intriguing.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've had people touch my hair and I'm not black

0|0
    1|0
  • I hear black people say this a lot. But I never hear non black people say how they want to black's hair. I think you just wish they did.

0|0
    1|0
  • because it looks so nice

0|0
    0|0
  • I had someone I met literally 10 minutes before for the first time, out of nowhere, just put her hands through my afro and all the way to my scalp. What in the actual F__K! was my reaction to that. We weren't friends, she didn't know me, she didn't ask, and she just thought, hey let me just stick my hands into a strangers hair. I was so disgusted. Worse was she didn't seem to understand what she'd done wrong. No matter if it's someone's hair or other body part, you never touch someone else without their permission, plain and simple.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes