Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states?

I moved to California about 2 years ago from Japan where I had been living since I was little. In Japan they have a different style of dress and what some girls wear. I actually started modeling for a Lolita Fashion line when I was around 13, and that became the primary way I dressed (I'll show some pics of outfits I own and wear a lot) (not me in the pics btw). I actually tend to love wearing these kinds of things at school and normally during the day. Though I do have other clothes I wear that are not lolita style and are ones I got in California. (I'll also post pics of some that look like clothes I own)
I really like girly clothes like cute dresses and short skirts. And I love girly colors. I actually tend to look on the young size as I'm almost 18 and look very young. I'm not dressing so people thinkI'm a kid, I've heard that a lot in California from people. That's not what I want to be seen as when I dress like this, I just like the sweet innocent look that I have when dresses like this. I guess my question is do I need to stop wearing the lolita clothes and just stick with skirts and stuff I get in California or should I keep dressing like I want to?
Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??Is it exceptable to dress like this now that I live in the United states??

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• dress however you want to, it shouldn't matter what others think. I wouldn't wear them to an interview or a formal setting, but for casual they are totally ok.

0|0
    0|0
    • I actually already have a job anyway working at a daycare with kids and they actually tend to like when I dress like that. They think I look like a life sized doll

• Show All
    • Yeah I always wear them if I'm at work, I just feel more comfortable n them and it's easier then risking accidentally flashing someone

• yep so true

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should wear what makes you comfortable.
    Since you been wearing this style since you were 13 years old. You could try to make it work without you looking so young.
    The hairstyle could be less childish, the dresses could be more simple and you could add a nice purse and nice heels to make you look grown, less make up...

The Japanese Lolita fashion style is super exaggerated, it could be hard to make it work with different pieces of clothing, it could look very bad mixed with other stuff.
    So if you feel like you can't really match the Lolita clothes with other pieces of clothing, just keep wearing it in your own time.
    If you know you going somewhere where you need to look a little bit more grown buy some occasional clothing so you can have a little bit of everything.
    Good Luck

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• My philosophy on dress is this: If you look like everyone else, you'll get lost in the crowd.
    I'd say dress the way you want, but realize that, depending upon what type of area you live, you could get A LOT of unwanted attention and catcalling if you wear outfits like that. Unfortunately.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wear what you feel comfortable in , But if you look different you might get a lot more attention from guys which can be good and as well as bad

0|0
    0|0
    • I have a boyfriend so I don't really notice if guys look at me or not

• That's good then

• Don't conform to what the in style is. Always yourself and you'll be happier.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's ok to wear whatever you feel most comfortable in

0|0
    0|0
  • God, I would love you to be mine

0|1
    1|0
  • you look like a doll!

0|0
    0|0
    • That's kinda what lolita fashion is. Kinda like old time dolls, and u dress like that lol. But that's not me n the pics, I look different

• If you feel comfortable in it sure why not

0|0
    0|0
  • dress how you feel

0|0
    0|0
  • Please dress like that

0|0
    0|0
    • Which style? The lolita or the skirts and bustier

What Girls Said 9

• I'm not from the US but i say keep wearing what you like :)
    I'm also into the cutesy style like that and have a few outfits i wear in the summer~ sure i get a lot of looks but that doesn't bother me, as it's waaaay more fun to stand out in a crowd! :D

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't have to stop your style. People have their own tastes and yea you might stand out among the crowd, but that's what makes to unique!

0|0
    0|0
  • it depends on what you are doing... i totally wouldn't wear that just anywhere cuz you are going to stand out like a sore thumb... nails that stand tall get hit

0|0
    0|0
    • I always dress like that normally unless I'm out at a club with friends or doing something more adult like. If I'm doing something like that I tend to wear something along the lines of something n the last 3 pics

• Sure. You may stand out a little, but it's America. We have emos, punks, rednecks, gays-with-good-fashion-sense, goths, thugs, you name it. You do you!

0|0
    0|0
    • People say I stand out regardless because of how little I am, and how my body looks. I'm like a short 4'10 and like 85 pounds. But I ended up with a big butt and boobs, which is rare for an Asian girl. So for some reason no matter what I wear I get stares anyway lol

• Then dress however you want, lol

• Dress how you want! You have the right for that, don't mind the negativity, personally I love your style. It's cute and fun!

0|0
    0|0
  • Whatever makes you comfortable and fits the parameters of your school and workplace is acceptable.

0|0
    0|0
  • You'll be startled at but honestly who cares be yourself!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • I consider that acceptable.

0|0
    0|0
  • you can wear whatever u want

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes