For those of you with stubborn acne - How did you get rid of it?

I've had acne since I was 12 (small but many pimples on my forehead) and I'm already 20 and it has not improved one bit. I wash my face, I've tried a ton of products, I've gone on antibiotics. Now I'm trying to change my diet (mainly remove dairy).
Dont say "wash your face" because if you know stubborn acne, you know you've tried everything and washing your face doesn't help.

Any successful stories out there? What did you do to get rid of your acne?

174

Most Helpful Guy

• i didn't stop getting acne for the most part until i was about 24, im 26 now and still get the occasional stubborn pimple or 2 but for the most part i dont have any problems anymore. But girls mature faster than guys so maybe it won't take as long for you, and it also goes person to person. there's no tried and true solution, you can clean your face daily which should help, cut down on oily foods, and try to lower any stress, but honestly its just a natural human body process and you just kinda gotta deal with it until it dies down a bit.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Stop eating dairy. Realized I was allergic to gluten (it was causing me headaches and stomachaches as well). More than halved my sugar intake.

I now eat 60 percent veggies, 30 percent meat, and 10 percent everything else. Oh and I only drink water, mineral water, or sparkling water. Sugary drinks are the best way to ingest way too much sugar.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Just started doing that but it suuucks. I love cheese :( How long did it take you before you noticed a considerable difference? And say you got rid of dairy for a long time and you cleared up your skin, then had dairy once, did you immediately break out?

• Well, it wasn't just dairy that was the problem. I'd binge on sugar... which did almost as much damage as dairy sometimes, and I continued to eat non-gluten free bread which I knew I was allergic too.

But the short time that I only got rid of dairy (I went vegan, which I would NOT suggest by the way. I got very ill) it still was a huge improvement, all my huge pimples disappeared, and my face wasn't bright red anymore, only red occasionally and I could cover with makeup.

So... for that... I saw it starting to change within the first month. But I had drastic differences in two to three months.

• Also, to all those people saying "wash your face" lol. When you deal with serious acne, that's never the problem. It's almost always food related.