For those of you with stubborn acne - How did you get rid of it?

I've had acne since I was 12 (small but many pimples on my forehead) and I'm already 20 and it has not improved one bit. I wash my face, I've tried a ton of products, I've gone on antibiotics. Now I'm trying to change my diet (mainly remove dairy).
Dont say "wash your face" because if you know stubborn acne, you know you've tried everything and washing your face doesn't help.

Any successful stories out there? What did you do to get rid of your acne?

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• i didn't stop getting acne for the most part until i was about 24, im 26 now and still get the occasional stubborn pimple or 2 but for the most part i dont have any problems anymore. But girls mature faster than guys so maybe it won't take as long for you, and it also goes person to person. there's no tried and true solution, you can clean your face daily which should help, cut down on oily foods, and try to lower any stress, but honestly its just a natural human body process and you just kinda gotta deal with it until it dies down a bit.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Stop eating dairy. Realized I was allergic to gluten (it was causing me headaches and stomachaches as well). More than halved my sugar intake.

I now eat 60 percent veggies, 30 percent meat, and 10 percent everything else. Oh and I only drink water, mineral water, or sparkling water. Sugary drinks are the best way to ingest way too much sugar.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Just started doing that but it suuucks. I love cheese :( How long did it take you before you noticed a considerable difference? And say you got rid of dairy for a long time and you cleared up your skin, then had dairy once, did you immediately break out?

• Show All
    • Well, it wasn't just dairy that was the problem. I'd binge on sugar... which did almost as much damage as dairy sometimes, and I continued to eat non-gluten free bread which I knew I was allergic too.

But the short time that I only got rid of dairy (I went vegan, which I would NOT suggest by the way. I got very ill) it still was a huge improvement, all my huge pimples disappeared, and my face wasn't bright red anymore, only red occasionally and I could cover with makeup.

So... for that... I saw it starting to change within the first month. But I had drastic differences in two to three months.

• Also, to all those people saying "wash your face" lol. When you deal with serious acne, that's never the problem. It's almost always food related.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• I feel your pain. I had acne as early as fifth grade (it was pretty rough) and I didn't do anything about until I was a freshman in high school. I was informed of an expirament/test going on at the hospital I live near, and they offered to even pay me for it so I decided to do it. They gave me some pills that they called absorbica (I believe the medical name is isotretenion) and it helped me tremendously. Over the course of a couple months my acne cleared almost completely and I made $300 from being a part of the trial they were testing. I highly recommend it even if you have to pay. Now I'm currently working on reducing the scarring on my face from all those years of acne and I look much better.

If you decide to go through with this, here's what you should expect.
    It's not going to be fun. The pills they give you dry you out to no end. Your face will get so dry and your lips will get so chapped that they will bleed. Just power through it and I promise you won't regret it.

-from a now almost completely acne free junior in high school

1|0
    0|0
  • If u claimed to have wash ur face everyday with sum sorta of face wash, then it could either be due to ur diet or whoremones imbalance so u should get ur whoremone levels chk out.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1.) Wash your face with straight Apple Cider Vinegar

2.) You could try washing your face with caster oil

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 16

• The first time I got acne was when i turned 17, I had issues with my hormones, maybe check out your hormone levels?
    Sometimes using too much products on your face makes your acne even worse.
    I have been to cosmetologists, dermatologists, but taking the natural way helped me much more, i use tea tree oil for spot treatment, turmeric masks (they stain a bit, but disappear soon), also i tried mixing olive oil and castor oil (for removing makeup at night) works great.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've had acne since I had puberty so 10! Fuck me! Lol but honestly I've tried a lot of products and home remedies and nothing helped. Then I started to eat a lot of vegetables especially kale, my face became clear! But once I get my period that of course diminishes and then I'm a 14 year pimple faced teenager again. Eating healthy helps.

But for cleansing on the outside I use the black soap by shea moisture for acne. It helps... sometimes.

1|0
    0|0
  • lolz acne? I use face wash and bathe really
    if dark spots, I use toothpaste with salt 😂 I can't believe it worked and it feels so cold when you wash it lolz
    look at my profile pic lolz and you can see the magic

1|0
    0|0
  • When mine got real bad they put me on an antibiotic called Doxycycline and it worked like a charm

1|0
    0|0
    • I tried antibiotics but I got a bad side effect from it :( I might try again though. When you finished them, did your acne return?

• No, I only get a couple small ones around my period time which I can easily hide with some make up otherwise I've stayed clear

• My cousin had horrible acne in her youth - she got perfect skin from using proactive.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have acne probs too. Did most of the above. I was ready to give up and then thats when I found this product called Dr. Miracle facial cleanse. I am glad I took the store clerk's advice and give it a try. It starts working in less than a couple hours. It litterally lifts the sebum from under your skin and brings it too the surface. Makes your face, smooth and heals the skin. It has a skin repair and mask along with the cleanser. haven't seen the product in a year now. Thats the only thing that truly worked for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Drink a lot of water and avoid fried foods & processed foods as much as you can.

1|0
    0|0
  • I Do Nothing Splash Water On It A Go About My Day If I Put Anything Else On It Itll Get Worst

0|0
    0|0
  • Roacutane
    Do it

1|0
    0|0
  • Dairy is not the problem here. If you want to get rid of that, drink more water and stop chips/fries/chocolates and so on. Wash and moisturize.

0|0
    0|0
    • Actually dairy can be a huge factor to acne. We're not really supposed to continue drinking milk into adulthood. And I rarely eat junkfood

• I went to doctor and used some creams.

0|0
    0|0
  • My pimples are gone even tho they stayed around for quite a while during high school... which sucked. Now what i have left is blackheads... they are a bitch... wanna try using that mud/black mask. Proactive is also good. I used that during school and it worked! and tea tree oil is nice as well for scabs.

2|0
    0|0
  • I've tried everything, including Accutane. Nothing really worked so I gave up and just live with it.

1|0
    0|0
  • girl i feel your pain. hormone imbalance

0|0
    0|0
  • Have you been on minocycline for your acne? I've been on it for a while And it hasn't stopped my acne but I used to have severe cystic acne which has now gotten so much better. I've also discovered apple cider vinegar has worked good for me as a toner after I wash my face, its supposed to kill the bacteria. I still do get cystic acne but its no where near as inflamed and bad as before , im still searching for products that will help with it. Tea tree oil has been great for when I feel any acne coming on in a certain area

1|0
    0|0
  • I really like Neutrogena Oil-free acne wash it works pretty well I use it religiously. Cut down on fatty foods, that might help. Also acne is greatly contributed by stress.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes