I'm 18, does my mom have the right to tell me what to wear?

She is one of those overprotective single parent mothers and she thinks she has the right to tell me to change if I'm not dressed a certain way. Her argument is that she provides me with a home, food, clothes, does my laundry, so she gets to tell me what to wear if it's not appropriate.

She is paranoid about the cold (she grew up in a tropical place), so she makes sure I'm wearing thermals under my clothes (yes, top and bottom), a sweater/hoodie, winter coat, hat, scarf, gloves, and winter boots before I leave the home or she is upset. I tell her I'm fine it's not even cold out but she insists.

Who is right, me or her?

53

Most Helpful Guy

• Your mom is being controlling of you , my advice is maybe get counseling and have them speak with her about her controlling ways. Your old enough to make your own decisions and she needs to see that of you.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and no but let her know as you get older you would appreciate her respecting your boundaries about your decisions with clothing and other things as you grow up regardless of where you are living and make sure she knows you appreciate her caring but would like to make more decisions for yourself and recognize you will always be her baby girl. Talk calmly and maybe she still hasn't adjusted to that weather fyi because cold can be difficult to get used to but she still has some control until you are more independent but ask her for respect.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE