MAKEUP QUESTION: I am pale and acne prone?

I am in a play at school and I just received a list of makeup products that the makeup artist wants me to get but I have a problem with the foundation requirement:
Foundation -- Medium or Full Coverage (match the shade to the neck for closest skin tone match)
and
Loose or compact translucent setting powder + powder brush.

The problem is, I had to take Accutane (a very powerful and dangerous) to get rid of my severe cystic acne in the past. I am TERRIFIED of putting foundation on my skin. I am afraid I will break out and I need help finding a foundation. I am also SUPER pale and foundations are either too pale on me or too dark to the point where I will look like a freaking cheeto.

Girls, what foundation and compact translucent setting powder should I be using (please keep in mind that I am pale and acne prone)?

I'll post a picture of myself so you can get an idea of what skin-tone foundation might be more suitable for me (I'm not wearing any foundation, mineral powder, or concealer on my skin so you can trust that this is my real skintone):
MAKEUP QUESTION: I am pale and acne prone?

1|2

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• What I'd recommend is Cover FX for foundation and Laura Mercier for translucent powder. Laura Mercier also makes a wonderful foundation but Cover FX is something my sister (who was on accutane as well) swears by, especially if you have any residual scars.

Personally I don't wear foundation in my day to day and when I do it's bare minerals but only their lightest foundation coverage so for medium-full coverage I'd use the brands I recommended above. MAC also makes a great foundation line, full coverage, but it may cause you to break out.

1|0
    0|0
    • Your sister swears by Cover FX? And it didn't make her break out?

• Show All
    • Thank you! :)

• She also recommends you use a synthetic brush instead of a natural one *shrug*

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• I can't help you with the makup, but your hormones should be settled about now, assuming your visible age here is correct, rendering you less prone to acne outbreaks. If you're still worried about it however, just make sure to remove the makeup quickly after you're done.

0|0
    0|0
    • No, I have hormonal imbalance and I have to take birth control to help regulate them.

• Ah I see. It may sound too simple, but just avoiding stress as best you can, and eating healthy (include essential fatty acids in your diet) should do wonders for that. I'd assume Feminintea and Asana to also be beneficial. Anyway.. the girls here probably know these sort of things better. :3

• When shopping look for 'non-comedogenic' products. Means they've been tested and shown to not cause acne. Break a leg!

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe @1TrueKhaleesi might know something about this. But have you tried going to a place like Ulta or any other specialty makeup store (Not Sephora)?

1|0
    0|0
  • That is pretty picture of you i like your heart locket.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your skin looks good now OP. As for your make question i wish i could help ya

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks... I had to email my professor (director of the play) about my foundation and skin concern so hopefully I can manage to slip my way out of slapping foundation on my skin.

• Good luck OP. Im crossing my fingers for you.

• Thank you

• all the guys opinions here are super helpful

0|0
    0|0
  • ur cute, don't worry

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't want to put makeup on... The makeup artist for my play is making me... it isn't a matter what I think

• You're hot

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know Jack about makeup but your attractive

0|0
    0|0
  • Ok.. Where do i buy this accutune from? Im filled with acne its killing me. I went doctors they try me with normal anti botics

0|0
    0|0
    • Dermatologists will make you jump through many hoops before they recommend accutane to you. I had to try literally everything under the sun before they gave me accutane.

• Something that is non-comedogenic?

0|0
    0|0
    • A lot of the drug products that state that ironically clog pores.

• Well, all skin is different, so whether the root issue oil production, bacterial, or hormonal I guess will help determine what you can use.

What Girls Said 13

• that's a tough one.
    my friend recommends armani matte liquid foundation

1|0
    0|0
  • I've heard really good things about Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation. It has really positive reviews on both the Sephora and Ulta websites. People with oily and acne-prone skin say it's great. There's also a lot of shades available and you can match it to your undertones as well. Of course, you never REALLY know how a specific makeup item will perform and how your skin will react to it so I would suggest going to an Estée Lauder counter and asking to test it out. www.ulta.com/double-wear-stay-in-place-makeup

Even if you don't go with this brand and want to try a different foundation instead, you can go to any Sephora or Ulta and test out the makeup. You can try it on a small patch of skin to see how you react to it before buying, which may be the best idea rather than buying something and putting on your whole face only to have a negative reaction to it.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a powder as I have dry skin so I never use powders and haven't done much research on them. I know everyone raves about the Laura Mercier and RCMA loose translucent powders, but I'm not sure if they would be okay for acne-prone skin. I hope you're able to find something that works with you though and doesn't exacerbate your skin issues.

1|0
    0|0
  • I recommend you check out my website www.younqiueproducts.com/AnayaGould

I sell make up for a living. When do you need to have the make up for? Also do you have dry, oily, or normal skin?

1|0
    0|0
    • I am not so sure what my skin type is like anymore. Prior to Accutane I had really bad oily skin. I think I might have combination now but I ALWAYS moisturize my skin, I never forget to. I am pretty terrified to change my skin routine because the skin routine I used during accutane works for me.

• I am acne prone but not as pale.
    My derm suggested accutane for me as well but I'm too scared to do it hahah
    L'Oréal true match as a huge selection of shades. I think alabaster is the palest shade. Best selection at the drugstore in my opinion.
    That foundation worked for me if you won't wanna spend tons of money on high end products.
    I also use the Coty Airspun translucent powder but it's not a compact. It's pretty big haha

1|0
    0|0
    • Airspun is what the makeup artist mentioned as a suggestion so I am glad you mentioned that as well, I'll probably get that.
      I am willing to spend on high end foundation as long as it assures that I won't break out... I am pretty terrified of going through that hell again... Accutane was the best decision.

• Have you tried going to like sephora? They know all about their products and might be able to suggest something that will give you coverage and protect your skin

0|0
    0|1
    • I've gone to sephora in the past and the ladies there will say anything to sell a product. None of them have ever been helpful :(

• Show All
    • Maybe you have had helpful people but I have only had unhelpful experiences with Sephora. I emailed my professor (the director of the play) and told him my foundation concern.

• I'm just sorry you're having such a hard time with all this!

• Use baby powder for setting powder. Nothing is made for pale people like us so I use baby powder. Sorry I can't help with the foundation because I don't use foundation.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have the same issues with my skin, especially the pale bit. I refuse to wear "foundation". I wear Boscia BB cream in light and it's so lightweight but still covers. And THE BEST setting powder for pale skin is Makeup Forever translucent powder. It's white, it's lightweight, it lasts forever. I'll never go back to anything else.

0|0
    0|0
    • UGH I freaking hate this requirement... I emailed my professor and told him my concern and issue and I pray he doesn't force me to wear foundation. I am willing to wear a tinted moisturizer or a light mineral makeup but I don't want to wear FOUNDATION :(

• I don't think any foundation will really break you out esp. when you been on accutane. Your only using makeup strictly for a play? I would get matched at Sephora. There are different undertones for skin.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am not an expert in makeup products , so no answer regarding that. : p
    But you are extremely pretty.

0|0
    0|0
  • don't be afraid to try foundation, I know lots of people on Accutane who legit pack on makeup, it shouldn't mess with your skin AT ALL

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not on Accutane anymore, I finished it a year ago. I am afraid of putting foundation on because every time in the past it broke me out.

• try ant drugstore acne fighting foundation, I'm not sure what brand it is from

• go to the pharmacy and take a foundation from there
    I use vichy
    or clinic

0|0
    0|0
  • Go to sephora

0|0
    0|0
  • I use ELF's Salicylic acid based foundation. It covers well and combats acne too!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes