How does physical attraction differ between genders?

There have been multiple studies showing what people on average consider to be the ideal male/female physical appearance and there is always a stark difference between the men's and the women's answers.
Now when I scroll through GaG and come across "Which girl is more attractive?" questions, most of the time I notice that the guys and the girls have totally opposing opinions and the reason behind it isn't always obvious (for example when the given options are on the same level of attractiveness).

What do you think are the physical qualities that make a man vote for one woman as more attractive and women to vote for another?
Ok I think some people misunderstood my question. Given two equally attractive options (let's say they're female for this example) the men will find one woman more attractive and the women will find the other more attractive for no obvious reason. Why is this? (Mostly concerning the face, not the body)

37

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know. I think it applies for males too. For example, I think Clint Eastwood is a very good-looking guy:

mobile.wnd.com/files/2012/08/clint-eastwood.jpg

I don't mean that in the sense that I'm attracted to him since I'm heterosexual, but more like I want to be like him. He represents a very masculine and rugged image to me.

A lot of girls I know don't agree with me at all and don't seem to find him attractive. I guess my idea of an ideal character and appearance for a guy isn't the same as what they're attracted towards.

• Sometimes I think girls are paying closer attention to little details that guys overlook. For example, I had this female friend before who kept saying Anne Hathaway was ugly. I was like, "Uhh, what?" She was never my number one celebrity idol but I definitely think she's pretty. Then she pointed out things like that her mouth was too big and eyes were too close together, etc. I never paid that close attention. I just see her and think she's cute and pretty.

I think girls are used to paying more attention to these things perhaps since they spend a lot of time working on their faces in the mirror with cosmetics and so forth. I don't think guys are typically as discerning about the exact facial proportions of a female and things of this sort.

• I started to change and expand the types of girls I found included [/attractive] (faces included).

• Nowadays when I look at celebrity faces, I think when I find them especially attractive, I see little traces and remnants of past lovers that I found deeply attractive or my wife who I still do. I'm not saying they all looked like superstars, mind you, but there are traces of them I see in all the celebrities I really like.

Most Helpful Girl

• yea I noticed that as well
    sometimes I d be like guys have bad taste, what s wrong with them XD
    but in the end I think it s more in the facial expression and body language in the pic.
    women focus on features and all, guys look if the girl is inviting or not
    but that s just a quick analysis so dunno

• I think you're like the first person to understand my question lol

• haha good ^^

• by the way OP, I am still curious as to why you find me "unconventionally" attractive.
      is it because of my round face?