Why are girls obsessed with beauty?

all these beauty magazines, tv shows... youtube videos... commercials.. instagram.. the crazy diets.. selfies. lmao it's a lot.

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of it is cultural influences, honestly. Do you really think we're interested in doing all of this crazy shit to our faces? No. It's a lot of work. But most women want a partner, and most men want an attractive partner.

It is a vicious cycle. Even though I don't really wear make up, I do try to take care of my appearance with exercise and face washes 😕 Natural beauty still isn't really natural...

3|1
    0|0
    • true.. as a guy I just need a haircut twice a weeks.. and shave once a week... that's it... I literally just roll out of bed and start playing video games

• You know how many times I've wished I was a dude because of that? Women like it when guys look rugged. I love a guy with a beard, no cologne, and body hair.

Life would be so much easier as a guy in those regards... but I also know you guys have your own challenges.

I'd rather have the job of staying sexually appealing, than to have the expectations of being the breadwinner.

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of it is because they feel it is expected of them, because they feel that society expects it of them, and a lot of that has been driven by males, historically speaking. If you think that the majority of women would spend time looking beautiful just to sit in the house and do nothing then you'd be deluded. Most girls let it slide when they have no reason to go anywhere or see anyone.

1|0
    0|0
    • Nice point but your a guy and I rather have a girls point of view because there Girls and your a man.. I think you get the point

• Sure, no problem. If it was clear that you were asking girls only then I wouldn't have replied. I'm sure you'll get plenty of female responses.

• female are hott

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• 6|0
    0|0
    • okay... I don't understand that. I read it twice and my brain did a front flip

• Show All
    • ever heard the saying men think with their penis?
      Same idea
      I didn't think I'd have to explain this very well know saying so much

• Lol I don't know what's your problem with men... maybe your jealous.. haha that probably it

• The prettier you are, the more status you have, the better treated you are by people, and the more opportunities you have in life. It's like being a guy with money. Guys who say it doesn't matter how pretty a girl is are lying.

5|0
    0|0
  • Why? Because we have low self esteem and some of us want to look a certian way, like what the media is blowing up to be a crucial beauty standard in being a validated, important human being. If you dont look a certian way then you aren't important or worthy or won't ever find a guy

4|0
    0|0
  • I don't know Tbh. I'm a girl and I personally don't see the point in all that shit. It just lowers their self esteem and makes them compare themselves to others and have low self esteem because of it. At least that's what I've learned from my younger sister and her friends.

3|1
    0|0
  • We think that if we aren't seen as perfect or beautiful nobody will love us.

3|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't say obsessed. Spending 2 hours putting on make up is obsessed. Wearing a girly outfit is taking care of yourself and showing your man you care about him being attracted to you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because we want to look good and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Unless they feel forced into it, girls can do whatever they want. If it makes us feel good and comfortable about ourselves, I see no harm.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cause we wanna look and feel great. I am not an insane beauty guru but I do put on light make up. Sometimes I go barefaced. I dont want makeup to define me and I only put it on when I feel like.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because our looks are heavily what we are judged on.

3|0
    0|0
  • Beauty is equated to perfection and a lot of people love the idea of perfection

0|0
    0|0
  • because sadly if they aren't "beautiful" men won't be attracted to them

2|0
    0|0
  • Personally I don't look at all that, I just go to the gym to improve my body image

0|0
    0|0
  • they want to erase their flaws. men do it too. i call them gym hogs. ;P

1|0
    0|0
  • I never wear makeup, I am aging slowly

1|0
    0|0
  • Not all

0|0
    0|0
  • We are raised to think that we are only valuable as human beings if we are pretty.
    And it has seriously gone so far that even kids bully each other for being ugly (I have personally experienced this, it was no fun). We are also treated better if we are pretty (I went from MTF transgendered gypsy to what society consideres about a 7 without make-up, and I can see how I'm now treated better and taken more seriously than I was used to 3 years ago *I'm almost 18*). It's the harsh reality of today's society.

0|0
    0|0
  • we like to look good

1|0
    0|0
  • cause if you're not pretty, you're not valued by others

not saying I think this or even agree with it, I try not to judge others by their appearance, but this is the conclusion I've come to as I'm not really that pretty, so people don't want to talk to me and guys don't ever like me or ask me out.
    sometimes I feel as if because I'm not pretty I'm just supposed to hide from the world and not show my face

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we are taught it is one of the only ways we are valuable as human beings.

6|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• Why do girls obsess over what they eat? They watch what they eat, do these crazy diet and tummy flattening wraps, I mean I think women generally put on weight easier than men, but if your active and exercise I think your ok and so what if your legs or stomach aren't perfect, it's better to be happy then worry about what you eat and if you put on 5 pounds.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't have an answer, only a comment from which I'd like to learn more from what girls think about this.

You can find guys with loads of physical insecurities. I see them on here, like guys who are paranoid about their dick size and posting photos and asking how they look. More often than not though, I think these guys are generally like virgins who don't get that much attention from girls. I think the insecurities would tend to go away once/if they start getting their share of girlfriends.

Females aren't like that from my experience. I've known so many females who still have some significant insecurities even if guys are drooling all over them and even if they have boyfriends. That's the part I'm confused about. Their insecurities seem more internalized and not always based on how much or how little attention they're getting from the opposite sex.

0|0
    0|0
    • For guys I think physical insecurities are still based on a practical idea. The general male desire to be handsome comes from the practical function of attracting girls. Otherwise there's little point to being handsome and I think they'd be fine just being ugly. For girls, I don't always think it's that practical. Sometimes girls just seem like they need to feel beautiful no matter what, and regardless of how much attention they're receiving from guys.

• Only ugly girls are obsessed with beauty

0|0
    5|0

Recommended myTakes