Dreadheads, should I go to a salon to get dreadlocks? Or should I get a friend to do them for me?

So I want dreadlocks (please don't tell me how disgusting they look or that cultural appropriation bullshit whatever cause I don't care). I've asked one of my friends who are black and they said to go to a salon to do it. From research I've heard that salons put wax in your hair and that's bad for your hair. I don't really know how the dreading process is supposed to go and I feel if I do them myself I will just mess them up. I really want dreadlocks and I am committed to getting them. Should I go to a salon to get them done, or should I have a friend do them for me? What are the pros and cons of getting them done at a salon? I am Dominican with thick, curly hair (not afro latina).

31

Most Helpful Guy

• you should ask friends. In Salon they mostly do it wrong

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely go to a salon, if you do it at home or have someone do it, they can end up looking uneven and bad and just not done right. A hairdresser who knows how to properly braid and dread hair is your best bet to get a good look.