Hair color advice pls?

If have really really dark brown hair and I want to go lighter to a light brown shade. So would I have to bleach my hair first; then color it or can I just color it without having to bleach it? If I do have to bleach it then how many shades lighter can I go without having to bleach my hair?

I'd prefer something like this:
Hair color advice pls?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Consult a salon professional , for real, I've seen this back fire and they gotta pay extra to fix it THEN get the original work done anyway!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Loreal makes a dye that is called HiColor HiLights that is just for dark hair. I do it in red since I bounce between a dark purple almost and back to a more natural copper red at times. I have to buy a few shades lighter than the color I want to get it to lift mine enough for the copper to take. It does an alright job, but honestly without bleaching it's a guessing game.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE