What are your thoughts on protective styling?

I've never used any hair extensions/weaves/braids/etc. before but I'm going to do some Senegalese twists for my cousin's wedding. Have you ever tried any? Do you have any tips? If you haven't used any feel free to leave an opinion anyways.

Senegalese twist

Box braids

What are your thoughts on protective styling?What are your thoughts on protective styling?

Faux locs/ goddess locs

What are your thoughts on protective styling?What are your thoughts on protective styling?

4|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had box braids all my life, it's the 'easiest' hairstyle for kids and teenagers.
    I had weave 4 times. And crochet braids 1 time.

Based on my own experience, your head will feel heavy, when you do Up do's try to balance the weight of the hair properly so that it won't pull the front or the back.
    Wash your hair 1 or 2 times a week, try to moisturize your scalp while having this hairstyle. Washing your hair with exfoliating gloves could help if you keep braking your nails while washing your hair...
    Don't keep this hairstyle for too long, not more than 2 months. (I usually keep my box braids 3 weeks to 6 weeks, after that just pisses me off because I want to wash my hair right)
    Good luck

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• I really like the first four pics. They look nice and clean. The others I'm not a fan of, as the get closer to being dreads.

1|0
    1|0
  • Why is it called protective styling does it act as a helmet? :D

1|0
    0|0
    • It's just a way to style the hair that doesn't require as much maintenance I think and if done properly it gives the time hair to grow.

• Show All
    • No problem I know you value my deep insight and expertise :P :D ;)

• Of course.. you've enlightened me with your extensive knowledge of hair and extensions๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜

• as long as you're cool with it that's all that matters

2|0
    0|0
  • Not a big fan of it. I like it when the hair is loose, flowing, and thin.

2|2
    3|0
    • We are not white... lol
      Our hair can't be like that unless it is relaxed or something. It damages the hair... lol
      The majority of us have an afro. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Show All
    • @fjkxoxx Brainwashed because I don't like that type of hair... LMAO the things I gotta listen to hahahahahhaahhahaahaha

• @fjkxoxx
      Nah, it is just his preference. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• they look sexy to me :)

1|0
    0|0
    • I think so too lol

• Show All
    • follow me, i'd love to see a pic :)

• I like the fact that they're temporary because I really like my natural hair. My mom has had locs since I was a toddler and I've always loved the way they looked but I turned down her offers to put them in my hair because I didn't want it to be permanent.

• Not interest to me.

1|0
    0|1
  • All the hairstyles are great!

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 20

• I love it. I love being able to have a cute style whilst my hair style grows. I think they're important for natural hair because it protects them and our hair tends to be more prone to breakage. I see nothing wrong with them as long as they look clean and the hair is taken care of.

2|0
    0|0
  • I've been thinking to try some Senegalese twist for the summer. Prior to this I've tries vox braids and they tend to weight down your hair and may even damage the edges if pulled back too often. Never tried faux locs or Senegalese but I have seen my hairdresser install them and most look pretty lightweight.

1|0
    0|0
    • I've heard that there are different types of hair that may be more lightweight than others. Trying a different kind could lessen the weight.

• Show All
    • So true lol. I felt like I should've studied or something. Even though I had a list of exactly what I needed. I felt like I had just walked into a quiz unprepared.

• I think that it looks pretty on the girls in the pictures but I don't think it can suit everyone and you have to have the style/ perhaps face that goes with it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Gorgeous! They're so pretty but I just can't wear them. I tried doing box braids but the roots of my hair were too straight and they were slipping off.

1|0
    0|0
  • I had senegalese once and never again. They looked gorgeous and I loved them but unfortunately, my hair was so fine that a lot of them slid out and ended up on the floor. So I can only do braids or a sew with a net. If your hair is really fine, then twists will just come out.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have a different hair texture so this question doesn't really apply to me but I think all of these hairstyles are beautiful as are the women with them โ˜บ๏ธ I also think natural hair is beautiful! I'd say do whatever feels right for you, you'll look beautiful no matter what โ˜บ๏ธ

1|0
    0|0
  • You forgot crochets. O. O
    It is a very popular style right now in my area. A lot of the African/African American girl have some type of crochet in their hair.

I currently have this one...
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...26fb809e8f.jpg

I have done breads in my hair, too. I like both braids and crochets. ๐Ÿ˜Š

1|0
    0|0
  • I like the box braids personally, they seem to transition better from the scalp.

1|0
    0|0
  • Of these, I only like Sengalese and goddess locs, the rest just look like rope and too fake.

1|0
    0|0
  • Better because you don't want your hair to be pulled with braids. Best to go with protective styles and grow your hair

1|0
    0|0
  • Go for it :)
    I think the faux locs and box braids are gorgeous.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they all look beautiful :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Beautiful! Are you growing your hair long?

1|0
    0|0
  • Never did it but they look pretty

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's cool

1|0
    0|0
  • yes I have had a couple of these hairstyles.

1|0
    0|0
  • They look pretty awesome.

1|0
    0|0
  • Keep your hair hydrated.

1|0
    0|0
  • My favorites the box braids๐Ÿ˜

1|0
    0|0
  • As a white girl, the only opinion I can give is it looks pretty!

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes