Should I let go of a bad friendship even though it's good sometimes?

I have been thinking about this a lot and I can't make up my mind. I have two friends that I have known my whole life. The past two years my relationship to them has been shaky. They gathered together and started freezing me out every now and then, especially one of them. She made me feel so inferior and would get jealous if I started talking with the other friend. Sometimes I felt like I had the plague because she refused to walk beside me instead she switched places to sit next to the other girl. She would have this cold attitude towards me and I felt like trying to talk to her was like running towards a wall. I could go on with a lot more but anyways this friendship has lowered my confidence and made me feel sad, not like myself at all. Of course sometimes we've had really fun but does that really matter if it's this bad? I have stopped talking to them but this girl she texted and tried having a conversation but I let it fade because as soon as she started talking to me I got a really bad feeling and felt a bit sad. I have started focusing on other friends and making new friends. I have really tried being their friend but I'm tired. As silly as this sounds but am I making the right decision letting go of two friends I've known my entire life because of how they have treated me even though we have fun too?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• I had an argument because of this and lost a friend for 2-3 years until we made up but things weren't the same because we became different.

You might try would I never did, finding a new friend and hence being less dependent on his opinion. Friends don't come easy though.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• I had a friend I grew up with (known since kindergarten) and we were friends for years (up til the first year of high school). She was one of those "friends" who was sometimes nice to me and sometimes wasn't. I contributed it to her just being moody (and unhappy) with her home life. (She seemed to have great parents and a pretty stable household, but she always seemed secretly unhappy, and would never tell me specifically why.) I grew up in a less-than-deal household as well, but I never used it as an excuse to take anything out on her. I think age (and maturity) factors into it as well. By the time junior high rolled around she seemed to get nastier towards me (even though I never did anything to her). I think that's a weird age for everyone and a lot of kids start to feel pressure to look/act cool (but just get really insecure.) By the first year of high school, she started hounding me all the time and trying to butt in on me and my guy friends and when I would go on dates. So it was there I drew the line (I would never do anything like that to her.) So we just basically stopped talking. Even though I felt somewhat sorry for her (because I could tell she was unhappy), I really couldn't do anything for her (to fix it), and it was just getting too toxic. So I had to cut her off. I wish her well, but I didn't need that drama.

0|0
    0|0
  • So, by what you have said, I don't know why you didn't cut them out long ago. Your whole body is telling you to get away from these girls. Yes you have been friends a long time but life changes and so do friends. I had a friend for 17 years and our lives grew apart and he was very negative and hard to be around. I stopped talking to him. Even told him I no longer wanted to be his friend. Yes it was hard but my life is better for it. I still have the experiences that we had together and the memories of the fun, without all the negative things that went with it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes