Do split ends go away with time?

I am in the process of growing out my hair, but I may have some slight split ends. If I were to let it continue to grow out (while trimming it every 3 months - as per standard) until it reached the length I want to keep it at, then keep trimming it when it gets too long, will I eventually trim off the split ends and replace them with healthy hair? Or do I have to cut them off at the root before my hair grows out all the way?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You can use coconut oil to make your hair stronger. I know it may sound very gross, but it actually does work. I've used it before. What you do is put warm or hot water (I don't remember which) in a bowl then you take another bowl with the coconut oil and put it in the first bowl. The water will melt the coconut oil to make it liquid so it's not chunky. Then you apply it to your hair and leave it in for about 30 minutes before washing it out. It should help with the split ends. You can use it twice a week or three times a week for a few weeks then you can use it once or twice a month.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I've already been doing this. The thing is, I don't even know if I have split ends or not. So I asked how to get rid of them just in case I do have them.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• You have to go to a salon and get it professionally trimmed because split ends not only starts from the tips but at each piece of our hair whether it's short or long. You can grow your hair out and it still be damaged then you'll have to cut all your hair off regardless because it's dead hair.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, they only travel up the hair shaft, so it's best to cut them off. All you need is a trim, there's no reason you should have to lose any significant length.

0|0
    0|0
  • They should go away with frequent trims depending on how much you cut off at a time

0|0
    0|0
  • No, split ends don't "go away", they can only be cut off. But they don't originate from the root. They happen when the end gets worn out essentially, from being old hair that has encountered more damaging environmental factors from rubbing on the bed pillow, to excessive dryness. It helps to keep hair well conditioned, and avoid chemical processes and certain hair products that dry hair out. Some people seem to get them worse than others. Cutting off your ends doesn't "replace" the ends, it removes them so that you end up with ends that are not split - but if you are prone to splits, the new ends will split too.

0|0
    0|0
  • no you have to cut split ends off or they'll keep getting bigger. I know, super annoying.

0|0
    0|0
  • honestly if you trim the ends it'll make your hair healthier and grow quicker. you don't have to cut a ton (like an inch or 2)

0|0
    0|0
  • you have cut them off & start fresh. keep your hair moisturized on the ends, use as little hair product & heat as possible

0|0
    0|0
  • no they will just split further and further I'm your hair shaft. that's why you cut them so it doesn't ruin all of your hair

1|0
    0|1
  • Keep trimming them and make sure your hair isn't too dry or damaged in anyway and that should prevent the split ends from appearing in the first place.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cut it at once and grow from there. Or do it more frequently than 3 months because you may stunt your growth. Split ends damage the hair shaft so the sooner you clip them the better.

0|0
    0|0
  • No lol they get worse with time. Just cut the ends and nurish it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It will just get worse and look ugly if you leave your split ends be. Get a haircut first.

0|0
    0|0
  • no they stay the same or they go worse. you can cut them yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • The only way to get rid of split ends are to cut them. Get a trim, yiur hair will grow back fairly quickly

0|0
    0|0
  • The only way to get rid of a split end is to cut it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope! They just progress, you have to get them cut. Eventually they'll move up and ruin your hair.

0|0
    0|0
  • You need more vitamins and your hair needs some moisture. Trimming the ends also helps

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if you cut them

0|0
    0|0
  • get a trim to remove them. hair grows back faster.

2|0
    0|0
  • just trim them, it's nbd

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 0

Be the first guy to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes