Underwear VS Swimsuit?

What is the real difference between underwear and swimsuits? They are essentially the same thing just made out of a different material that is better in water. Why do girls cover up when someone sees them in underwear but don't care when it is a swimsuit that looks basically the same? I have never understood this.

45

Most Helpful Guy

• I've made this argument for years. People gasp when they see a girl in a miniskirt and her panties peak, but if they saw her on the beach in the same outfit, only without the skirt, no one would think twice.
    Or if a girl wears a thin shirt and her bra shows through, people scream about the indecency of it. But if she was on the beach and pulled off the shirt, it'd be perfectly normal.

Seems contradictory

Most Helpful Girl

• Lots of times it's because the reasoning that panties are panties and a bikini is a bikini. Bathing suits are something I would wear and never a bikini. I hate those things and I hate it more when it rides up you butt. That is so uncofortable. But people mostly don't care because of technicalities. And if the girls do it for attention sexually, it sullodily boost their self esteem. I understand the reason why. I don't agree with it. But you can't reason with it. However it's still the same thing to me. I don't find it any different except it's made out of different materials and that's it. Other than that, I say nobody can complain when somebody's looking at them a certain way.