How much should one spend on a nice watch?

A nice watch, as in not an everyday wearing watch (unless you're careful and can keep it in good condition).

Yes, there are some cheaper watches, and the cell phone works to tell time too, but something that can be passed down to the next generation would be nice.How much should one spend on a nice watch??

• $10,000 and up
  • $5,000 - $9,999
  • $2,500 - $4,999
    Vote C
  • $1,000 - $2,499
    Vote D
  • $999 and below
    Vote E
Select a gender to cast your vote:

2221

Most Helpful Girl

• This depends on what you like and how much you want to spend. Do some research and go for a good watch maker especially if you wish to past it down.

I like watches, but i only need one or two good ones that look good on me.
    the big round watches are in now... have been for a few years. I dont like those. i like more lady like looking watches and i like the vintage look.

I do wear my Lady Hamiltion daily. As well as use my wedding silverware/dishes daily. I dont see the point of having two sets of stuff.
    Wear it, use it in good health.
    changed battery once or twice in 12 years. of owning the watch... great service, sure its expensive but worth it.
    shop.hamiltonwatch.com/.../...uartz-h31151183.html

have fun shopping

Most Helpful Guy

• Let's take $10000 and divide by the approximately 50 years you have left. That's $200/year, $15/month, or 50c/day for the rest of your life. Just to look at a fancy watch. Forget that "pass down to the next generation" bullshit. That's 10% pure marketing bullshit. Yeah, a few things become collectible, but it's not the stuff that is sold as collectible. Some incredibly mundane stuff is collectible 50 years later, like toy pedal cars and metal lunchboxes and old comic books. You can't predict what it will be.

What Girls Said 21

• I personally would not spend more than a few hundred dollars on a watch. I have no need for a watch that is more expensive than that.

• Salary is important as I think that any watch above £100 could be considered a luxury item so whatever you spend on it should only be part of your 'disposable income'. My own watch is an £80 Calvin Klein which looks great and tells the time. Do you really need anymore? I also have another luxury watch that was given to me by my father on my wedding day but because of the value I am scared to wear it except for very special occasions.

• It really depends on your salary. I would say that as long as it doesn't affect other important ways in which you need to spend your money, it's fine

• It's all relative. My boyfriend has a friend who'll spend $40-50,000 on a watch and has several. while another can get a beautiful watch for $500. You have the set priorities on what you can afford and don't finance it. Pay cash.

• I think that totally depends on what you can afford.

• Last option. I'm poor af lol and it still is just a watch.

• Nothing, I hate watches

• Five dollars

• If it's a generation thing, the value should rise up by each generation. So I guess it really depends on how much you are willing to spend and be careful on which brand. I would also suggest something considered limited edition to boost up the price.

• Depends on what you're looking for. Most likely you can buy a decent watch from a not so famous brand at under 1000.

• I got my fiance a watch for his 10th birthday and it was a Cartier and it cost $150,000. So fuck 10,000

• Shit I just look st my phone lol

• Depend on how much he earn.

• Well less then any of your choices.

• Not even a $100

• I couldnt afford to waste more than 20 dollars on a watch, got more important things to sacrifice my hard earned cash for.

• I feel like it's a waste to spend thousands on a watch

• i think a dude wearing watches are pretty attractive, but you could get a nice once for like $200, think its up to how much you make and got in your pocket.

• Yeah, definitely do not need an expensive one! I didn't consider that a watch would make a guy more attractive lol

• Just wondering, I know girls who are younger definitely like guys to be older and more mature.

• haha yeah, not all of us tho

• I don't spend a lot of money of things like that, even if I had a lot of money I would feel like it's such a waste when there is so much unique looking jewelry that is cheaper.

• However they can effort

• I wouldn't really think of a watch as an heirloom piece, simply because it's such a fashionable thing and would be unlikely to be used regularly by the next generation. A ring or cufflinks seem like better options to me, as they can be worn as often as a fashion/boldness statement and a watch seems more functional to me even if it's not worn everyday.
    Anyway, I wouldn't pay more than $4000 for a watch. The maintenance should be factored in when purchasing, as a standard Rolex service is roughly $650-800

What Guys Said 20

• my Omega seamaster cost $1700.00 and it's beautiful same watch James Bond wears.

• $0

Watches are probably the most obsolete inventions that are still currently in circulation.

Even with the lower end of your budget ($999), you could buy two Galaxy s7's or one Galaxy s8 and have plenty of money left over for high-end accessories.

• Under $20. Anything more than that is a waste of money.

Over the last 25 years I've had two watches. I lost one of them and had to buy another. They both kept accurate time all those years. The first one was $6 on clearance sale. The second one was $15. I paid a lot for the second one because I wanted a stop watch, so it cost more.

• There are some reasonably nice mechanical watches under 1000. Would they be handed down? ehhhh I don't know. Probably to some grand kid who thought it was cool. Obviously a PP or whatever is an heirloom. Also one I'd feel wearing in some scenarios, lol.

Just don't get a fucking fashion watch, and ideally not a goddamn rolex.

• there's no point in buying a watch anymore dude, there's no point in buying an alarm clock, there's no point in buying an MP3 player, there's no point in buying a calculator, there's no point in buying a calendar, there's no point in sending letters through the mail anymore, there is no f****** point. Dear friend,
    look at the top left-hand corner of your screen. there's your watch, you don't need to spend money on that if you're already carrying one around that provides the same function as a watch & more.
    it's 2017.

• Top left corner of my screen? Signal strength? That doesn't help with the time. Anyway having a nice watch is more than a time piece, it can be seen as a fashion statement or a wealth statement, and some are just cool

• Like $20-$30. I mainly use my phone for telling time. If I wanted to get uber fancy than no more than $300 if I was rich.

If I'm paying over $10,000 for a watch it better be like something out of a James Bond movie.

• $10k and up.

• Depends. How much ya got?
    I have a Skagen I absolutely love that was $70.
    A $400 swiss-army not so much.
    And a $6K bulova encrusted with diamonds and gold nuggets that I inherited - not at all, won't even wear it.

• Lol who would spend $999 on a watch? I would spend 0 dollars on a watch.

• Who the fuck buys watches in 2017?

• right around 100 dollars U. S.

• It shouldn't be more than $5000
    Unless you're super loaded... then go as high as you can afford...

• Only an idiot would spend over 200 for a watch. You can find very nice ones for roughly $100. If I saw someone with a almost thousand dollar watch I would assume they are horrible with finances.

• Some people are seriously spending hundreds for several watches? I spent $12 on a everyday use watch with a stopwatch and all and it works amazingly still after almost a year of use. Looks nice too! Go for the diesel-type watches that cost around $15-20 dollars and you will look just as snazzy as someone with a ridiculous $1000 watch.

• Same here...

Living frugal doesn't guarantee you becoming rich. Its a great discipline to live within ones mean.
      Car values go downhill once you made the purchase, trade in value is very very low. By that point, you want a different car (middle American family) or you are having a hard time and needed some money so you trade in to get the next car.
      Wealth - nowadays, seem to be able to achieve rather easily by many. Those who are in the tech sectors or with some business idea can become wealthy at a very young age, at that point, they have not established their way of moneys worth or spending habits or thinking of status in society. These new founders are very different than the traditional individuals who saved through living frugally and hope to save in enough to be comfortable.
      I can agree that most are not at that level of comfort to spend money like that. I keep forgetting, majority of Americans live in debt or pay check to pay check.
      continue...

• This is the exact reason why we are heading into the next financial crisis... Beware of the banking sector...

• Pfft. You're a fool to spend more than $50 on a watch.

• No girl or interviewer will notice the difference between a Rolex and a $20 watch from Sears.

• Dunno, for me they're worthless since I don't wear em.

• You can get some really good watches between 1000-2000. My 'work' watches are maybe 500-1000, but my 'nice watches' are closer to 1500.

• 5$ or 10..

• you people crazy! I'd say maybe 200-400 dollars.

• It's a watch... if you have money to spare, give it to charity... tbh this sickens me to my stomach.

• I give so much of my time and services to charity... and I truly enjoy doing it. The people who aren't able to give their time can give their money.